1. #801
    Quote Originally Posted by eldritchforeshadow View Post
    I am still playing the game however, I avoid looking for raid whenever possible and I stay far away from scenarios. Instead, I do normal mode raiding(when I can), pet battles, achievements, and old content for fun. I think LFR, scenarios, and dailies suck in this expansion and I think it is the reason why subs were lost. I will continue playing WOW until it has only me left as a sub. But what if WOW stayed a pay-to-play model yet added an optional free-to-play model with restrictions and a cash shop? Would that not be a good idea?
    Would probably be a fantastic idea for Blizzard. Not so great for the players however.

  2. #802
    The next big hit will be when a Western company nails down the F2P MMO genre, like Blizz did with the P2P MMO with WoW. I'm already expecting Titan to be a F2P.

  3. #803
    Lets clear some shit up. MOST of the people who played in TBC or vanilla have quit, or just casual through. I would not implore blizzard to look back that far.

    They need to look at wrath. Great story (the lich kings presence was pervasive, yet relevant), some of the most revolutionary fight mechanics (not counting NAXX), they did well with bringing crafting into each teir, and allowing them to be relevant but not all out better (in most cases) than drops/tier.

  4. #804
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    A lot more than I expected. This is without the effect of the recently released Age of Wushu right? We wont see the effect of the 20mill subs that has gained until next quarter's report?

    Anyway... MoP is a fantastic expansion, not sure why people in this thread are claiming otherwise... The reason I quit is that I can't actually *play* said expansion when I'm sat on a dead realm. I simply refuse to pay Blizzard another £60 to get my chars off it.
    You claim MoP was a great expansion, and yet 1.3 million people said "screw that" last quarter. If the subs go down by that much, MoP has bigger problems than Cata did.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

  5. #805
    big drop yes, but the end of the day wow is in what its 9th year now, people grow up and move on, yet 8.6 million is still a hell of a lot more subscribers than any other subscription based MMO. was also said majority of the loss was in asian countries where there is a fair few top quality F2P mmos

  6. #806
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    You claim MoP was a great expansion, and yet 1.3 million people said "screw that" last quarter. If the subs go down by that much, MoP has bigger problems than Cata did.
    Or the playerbase is way more volatile than ever before. There is a reason why the casuals are the one that left AND China taking the biggest hit, the F2P MMOs are rising fast there.

    All we can take from this is that the P2P MMO market is gone, being WoW the last man standing.

  7. #807
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    A lot more than I expected. This is without the effect of the recently released Age of Wushu right? We wont see the effect of the 20mill subs that has gained until next quarter's report?

    Anyway... MoP is a fantastic expansion, not sure why people in this thread are claiming otherwise... The reason I quit is that I can't actually *play* said expansion when I'm sat on a dead realm. I simply refuse to pay Blizzard another £60 to get my chars off it.
    So you quit cause you don't like the game anymore cause there are no players around...
    Yet you claim its fantastic...

    hmmmm

  8. #808
    Brewmaster Xl House lX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,254
    It's simple really, as to why this is happening. The MMO genre is just not as popular as it once were. Is it still popular? Yes. Are things like consoles/AAA titles (CoD/Halo/etc.) diminishing the popularity of MMOs? Yes.

    Has nothing to do with anything in game.
    Call me House.

  9. #809
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    A lot more than I expected. This is without the effect of the recently released Age of Wushu right?
    I think AoW had already released in Asia.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  10. #810
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr0ev0lution View Post
    big drop yes, but the end of the day wow is in what its 9th year now, people grow up and move on, yet 8.6 million is still a hell of a lot more subscribers than any other subscription based MMO. was also said majority of the loss was in asian countries where there is a fair few top quality F2P mmos
    Sure the vanilla players grew up. But where's the people that were 8 when WoW came out? Why are they not playing the game?

    Saying "we had a good run but it's time to give up" is just trying to shrug off numbers that if we were discussing xBox Live would get someone fired.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

  11. #811

  12. #812
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    A lot more than I expected. This is without the effect of the recently released Age of Wushu right? We wont see the effect of the 20mill subs that has gained until next quarter's report?

    Anyway... MoP is a fantastic expansion, not sure why people in this thread are claiming otherwise... The reason I quit is that I can't actually *play* said expansion when I'm sat on a dead realm. I simply refuse to pay Blizzard another £60 to get my chars off it.
    thing is, dead server is part of blizzard "involontary" design, given the fact they have taken no steps to fixing it. And it certainly one of the reason of this huge drop. For many people, they will remember MoP as the "dead server expansion"

    how easy would it have been to drop the transfer fee by at least 75%, or even better free with a cooldown? how many line of code are we talking about? how much time? Dead server are not a bug, they are consequence to game design.

  13. #813
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    You claim MoP was a great expansion, and yet 1.3 million people said "screw that" last quarter. If the subs go down by that much, MoP has bigger problems than Cata did.
    I'm sure it is a great expansion. For him. Just like it is for me. It just doesn't appeal to the casual playerbase which is the majority of their players.

  14. #814
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Sure the vanilla players grew up. But where's the people that were 8 when WoW came out? Why are they not playing the game?
    Why there is an explosion of P2P MMOs in Asia?

  15. #815
    Well ToT tuning was a disaster especially normal modes i can see the possibility of subs lost there, add the fact nothing has really changed its still the same game IE : not much to do outside of raiding.

    Pet Battles, Brawler guild, Isle of Giants just wasted development time imo.

  16. #816
    1.3 mio and here my guess in the quess thread was only 500k up to 1 mio damn.

    but I can understand why. Why pay for what has essentially devolved to a single player game? Filled with a lot of chores.

    Maybe they schould have made as much levelling content for pandaria as they made for wrath and bc. Back then there was a lot of content still on the board even after you dinged at 70 and 80.

  17. #817
    Herald of the Titans Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    So you quit cause you don't like the game anymore cause there are no players around...
    Yet you claim its fantastic...

    hmmmm
    Can you read? That's not what I said now is it?

    I've enjoyed the content up until this point. The problem is my guild disbanded for personal reasons and we were unable to recruit on a dead realm. That means I can't play it anymore unless I fork over more cash. If they fix the realm population problem I'd come back in a heartbeat.

  18. #818
    Brewmaster Xl House lX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The next big hit will be when a Western company nails down the F2P MMO genre, like Blizz did with the P2P MMO with WoW. I'm already expecting Titan to be a F2P.
    You're actually on to something, seriously. Starcraft is F2P, Diablo is F2P, Hearthstone will be F2P. The whole pay to play thing is old and with cheaper alternatives out there, things are starting to look grim for the game that is WoW, and it is showing.
    Call me House.

  19. #819
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    It looks like it. The reason is there is no lack of content or anything but there is a fast loss of subs. Its kinda sad how blizzard manages to mess up their own games at a fast rate..
    That's what I mean about wanting more evidence, and that's asking too much. I'm looking at things in the long run, rather than what's going on short term. It's a huge loss for sure, but where were the majority of the subs lost? Asia? What was the reason behind it? Chunk of subs lost, but the game isn't dying at a fast rate. Hopefully they can better their game with losing players, somehow. I'll look at it as a good thing.

  20. #820
    Pandaren Monk sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    1,937
    Much worse than I thought, actually I thought of stable or increase
    I mean they are doing good job, why that insane bleed ? Maybe because it isn't alt-friendly anymore ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •