Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    graphics probably but in term of lore there is no game, except lotro, that have such a huge expandend and immersive lore like warcraft
    You need to play more games if you think WoW is tops for lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    Uhhh, they were? I wiped in them lots of times with a top 10 worldwide guild at the time. Shattered Halls could kick your ass. Or the last boss in Mechanar. Fun as hell though.
    I have concluded a lot of the folks who talk like tbc heroics most likely never played during tbc. there were heroics where a screw-up would wipe t4/5 geared groups. some of the NORMAL 70 versions would cause problems to appropriately geared groups (e.g. ilvl 105-115), like the pulls in blackheart's room, or shattered halls...you really had to have your shit together at gear level, the entire group.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    What if a new player picks goblin as his main race, at lvl 8 he's going to delete his char, account, and pc.
    Oh, starting zones of new races (worgen, goblin and pandaren) are awful, as you can't leave them unless you do all quests in there. You can't do any BG or any dungeon while there, so you feel like in prison. Goblins' starting zone is worst offender with that motorbike part and one of quests in 2nd goblins' zone requiring you to kill mobs very slow or you won't see quest drop (made like level worth of exp doing that quest). There should be smth like boat from goblin start zone, which would bring you to Durotar, escape carrier in worgen zone to get you to Teldrassil and smth similar for pandaren.

Personally, I am no longer making more worgen, goblin or panda alts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Then you have not encountered PvE in WoW that much.
    You're welcome to provide any other example of easily accessible, community strengthening pve content that requires focus, skills and communication in order to survive.

The main problem here is "good old" Cataclysm. It wasted our free time so now we cannot afford anymore hardcore playing. It is sad, because MoP is really good expansion, compared to Cata, and I want to play it, but it is too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I have concluded a lot of the folks who talk like tbc heroics most likely never played during tbc. there were heroics where a screw-up would wipe t4/5 geared groups.
    TBC heroics were like next step in progression after Karazhan, just dropping subpar gear I remember constant "/2 LF1M full epic tank for daily hc" or "/2 full epic dps lf daily hc". Some mobs could global tank if he was in blues.

Even attunement for KZ didn't require you to do heroics, but attunement to t5 and unlocking Nightbane required you to do some of hardest heroics.

I have concluded a lot of the folks who talk like tbc heroics most likely never played during tbc. there were heroics where a screw-up would wipe t4/5 geared groups. some of the NORMAL 70 versions would cause problems to appropriately geared groups (e.g. ilvl 105-115), like the pulls in blackheart's room, or shattered halls...you really had to have your shit together at gear level, the entire group.
    Seriously Arcatraz... That place was not even kind of noob friendly. Shadow labs was not friendly to any group lacking CC. Magisters terrace required thought and skill on nearly every pull in there. Where some of them easy? Yes. That doesn't mean they all where. Most of them where not easy and if we are talking pre-nerf... oh boy. Some of those instances where like raids. Early Kara was easier than some of the heroics.

Trash hit so hard if anyone other than a tank got hit there was a good chance they died. Trash pulls often required strict kill orders. Many bosses had mechanics that you could not ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    You're welcome to provide any other example of easily accessible, community strengthening pve content that requires focus, skills and communication in order to survive.
    thb heroics were something else, to be sure. you could bring an ilvl 115 group into one and if folks didn't really have their shit together, they had a good chance of failing, esp. if it wasn't slavepens./underbog/mechanar minus serpenthea.

put said group in heroic black morass, durnholde, shadowlabs, etc., and and I question what overall skill would be needed to clear in ilvl 115 only.

of course, the revered key req. was a real gate-check, because with the exception of CE, you had to do a lot of normal 70 runs of something to get revered. just that alone really acted as a training/gatekeeping mechanism. honored keys effectively neutered this, though there were good reason to argue for the change later in the expansion.

as an aside, imagine if LFD had been introducing during TBC. those tbc heroics wouldn't have survived severe nerfing even a patch cycle.

at some point early in wotlk I came to the conclusion that heroic trash mob damage in lvl 80 heroics was essentially numerically unchanged from lvl 70 heroics.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2013-05-10 at 07:05 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

the game is very old. the newer games that are coming out, no matter the genre, just offer more in terms of graphics, gameplay and content. Subbs will drop and keep dropping. Get over it and play other , bbetter games out there. End 2013, and begining of 2014, huge games are coming out, and that will further cut the wow subbs down. Does it mean wow is a shitty game? definatly not, its lasting this long and is still king in the amount of people that play it.
    If blizzard however keeps going down the path they are currently, wow will die faster than it should.

thb heroics were something else, to be sure. you could bring an ilvl 115 group into one and if folks didn't really have their shit together, they had a good chance of failing, esp. if it wasn't slavepens./underbog/mechanar minus serpenthea.

put said group in heroic black morass, durnholde, shadowlabs, etc., and and I question what overall skill would be needed to clear in ilvl 115 only.

as an aside, imagine if LFD had been introducing during TBC. those tbc heroics wouldn't have survived severe nerfing even a patch cycle.
    I played a Prot paladin during TBC which was the heroic 5 man super tank... I ran heroics constantly for people. I would NEVER had used LFD for those instances. slavepens, botanica and underbog would have been doable but slow. The rest? Not a chance.

Deleted
    The game is getting old. And I think that people expects more graphics wise aswell. At least many of the younger people. The game isnt what it was. Still going pretty strong though, which is pretty cool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    GW2 is fun. The first time to play a character to level 80 at least. Then the excitement dies off very fast. Yes, it has a better graphic engine then WoW (more shiny things!), but the art style and asthetics of WoW are vastly superior. The lore is... there is lore in GW2 besides "bandits/wild animals are coming, help us!"? The character quest is nice, up to level 20. Then it totally sucks. The ending of the quest is very dissapointing. And there is no challenge in the game at all, except maybe PvP. RvR was also very dissapointing. Community was very nice and friendly, though.

(This is my opinion, and the game may have changed since I deleted it in 01/2013)
    Sure I haven't said gw2 is the best game out there. There's plenty of silly mistakes and its barely playable to me. But mind you, it's a solid game it isn't your shoddy, clunky, weird grindfest.

About the game itself I don't know I've died to single mobs and I'm actually afraid I'm officially addicted to wvwvw. I guess opinions are opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Wow looks as amazing as any game if you kick it up to Ultra.
    While WoW's style does have its charms, there's no way anyone can say this with a straight face any longer, unless you have literally played no other recent games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    I played a Prot paladin during TBC which was the heroic 5 man super tank... I ran heroics constantly for people. I would NEVER had used LFD for those instances. slavepens, botanica and underbog would have been doable but slow. The rest? Not a chance.
    This is a very important sentence.
    If blizzard would provide us challenging material, there wouldn't be any need of using Lfd, hence the community would grow up solid again.

Deleted
    I whole heartedly disagree. The combat system in Wushu is terrible and clunky. It's like most FPS that come out that completely flop. Western or Eastern it's really terrible quality. Here's some examples. SWG had a good combat system. It flowed well. Wow has an excellent one. Rift feels clunky. Age of Conan was clunky. City of Heroes and Daoc actually flowed well.
    Let me remind u that when Wow came out the HIGHEST review it got was 5/10. It was slated all over the internet by the reviewers. And we all know how well Wow did after those scathing reviews...

If ur naive enough to judge a game on 10minutes of play after just downloading it then ur pretty dumb. If the UI is bad then im sure addons will fix it... didnt that also happen in Wow? lol

Wow looks as amazing as any game if you kick it up to Ultra.
    lmao

Compared to other games on Ultra Wow falls very short indeed. Other games look much more amazing on ultra than Wow. Theyre all more modern games designed with higher end PCs in mind so theyre bound to look better than Wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    There becomes a point where they won't be able to attract new subscribers. People want something new just to say it's new. I'm hoping Titan will bring that new, exciting feeling back again. It's too hard in Wow because we've done everything.
    They could attract more new people through word of mouth just like they did at the start, but the word of mouth lately is "This game has gone to shit, don't bother", just like in any avenue in media word of mouth is the biggest advertisement and as I said, word of mouth is NOT good for this game anymore between the lack of quality, how Blizz treats their customers and how bad the community is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    They could attract more new people through word of mouth just like they did at the start, but the word of mouth lately is "This game has gone to shit, don't bother", just like in any avenue in media word of mouth is the biggest advertisement and as I said, word of mouth is NOT good for this game anymore between the lack of quality, how Blizz treats their customers and how bad the community is.
    Well this is bound to happen when you go for quantity over quality.

Deleted
    Everybody knows how bad the community is. No wonder most refer to it as ''no life raging virgins''.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Honestly, I think there are now too many F2P games that are 'good enough' to be an acceptable substitute for a game that has a high entry price plus a monthly fee. New players coming in to the game at a rate that's higher than the people leaving is vanishingly unlikely to happen no matter what they do.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    This is EXACTLY what im calling Immitis out on too.

Hes trying to make out that all those sub losses r 'VAST MAJORITY' from China... i havent read ANYWHERE mention of China from Blizzard whatsoever.

(he also thinks US and EU realms pops have gone up and cant provide data to prove this either)
    What Kotick and/or Morhaime said in the conference call was that the majority (no 'VAST') of the net sub loss was from the East. In Q&A at the end, this was clarified to say 'east' basically meant 'China'. It was also said that while the majority of the loss was from the east, there were also net losses in the west.

You can listen to a recording of the call by going to the investor relations page at activisionblizzard.com, or you can search around the net for a transcript if one becomes available (Seeking Alpha often has one, although you may have to create an account to read it.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"