Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Ok, on a serious note.

No one in their right mind could expect the game to continually grow. As things are right now, the game grows a bit when an xp is released then drops quarter to quarter (nothing unexpected or different from before).

The game is old now and even though its aged incredibly well, the world in whic we live right now is rather different. The game market is filled with mobile games, free to play games, other mmos and plenty of other venues that compete with wow.

Expecting the game to keep up a 10+ million monthly paying subscriber base or even ask to make it grow is just dumb.

This doesnt mean that it will go away. Even at 5 million the game is a healthy money maker that any company would kill for.

Eventually the game will end. Not this year or the next, but at some point it has too.

Most of the loss comes from China, where free to play games are gaining a lot of ground.

The game is still in good health and its rather slow decline gives them plenty of time to plan their next move.

Blizzard is one of the greatest video game developers of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    He cleared Grull on 10/14/2008, Wrath of the Lich King was released on November 13, 2008. I don't believe he raided when it was "hard" but it is possible that he has done Karazan and Magtheridon the previews year.
    10/14/2008 is the day achievements went live (patch 3.0) and the earliest possible date for any achievement. You could have killed Gruul a year before that and it would still show as 10/14/2008. Also remember that you only got the achievement if you had loot that recognised the kill. If you cleared Kara 50+ times but vendored all the gear because you were running Sunwell, and you never cleared Kara again, you would not have the achievement for you. They tell pretty much nothing about what people did before 3.0.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Expecting the game to keep up a 10+ million monthly paying subscriber base or even ask to make it grow is just dumb.
    If only all the kiddies screaming "just go back to vanilla/BC model and the game will insta-get 100500 Million subs!!!" could get that message

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

Quote Originally Posted by Nienor View Post
    Agree 100% on this! Empty or terribly imbalanced servers are a huge problem that is being TOTALLY ignore in the name of fat transfer $$$$$
    Wow you are dumb. THESE ARE the GLOBAL NUMBERS. That INCLUDES West.

LFR ruined the game, so did CATA and MOP.

Incoming - OMG WoW is dying! - posts.

^ A bit late to the party, are we?

All wow-related forums exploded already.

I can't wait until 3-4 years from now when they post something similar while WoW is still going strong and people are regurgitating that the game is dea....

Wait a minute, I can do that now...

WoW is still on top. I knew it!

8.3 million! and this is all the content we get?

And this is BEFORE the big end of expansion content drought (unless the next expansion is coming a lot sooner than we think.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    Seems the idea of an Asia-themed expansion isn't going over well in Asia, which actually makes some sense. How well do we appreciate Eastern interpretations of Western culture? Also, being obviously China-centric, how well does that go over in Korea, where as we know recently a number of servers were merged?

Picture this. A Japanese game company has a worldwide hit MMO, then they release a Western-themed, US-centric expansion called Bald Eagleland. How well would that go over in Mexico, or Canada, or even Europe? Moreover, how would it go over in the US, where players would be treated to a litany of stereotypes purveyed by foreigners who only know of their culture through Clint Eastwood and pro wrestling cliches?
    Stop making too much sense.

casuals aka scrubs aka whiners aka wrath babies ruined this game and we all know it, hopefully blizzard realized this by now as well and they wont fuck it up in TITAN as they did with WoW. Regardless, its amazing that 8 year old MMO has 8.3 mil subs.

Herald of the Titans crakerjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Not a chance, Titan is already planned as casual from the start on. The time of vanilla-like stuff is dead and buried.
    And what logic/evidence do you have to support that? Just because WoW is that way currently? Did you not read my post... the entire dev team was moved from WoW to titan... meaning what ever game you fell in love with during vanilla/TBC... those same creators are on Titan, attempting to make it just as good as WoW was in its prime or even better.

Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
    casuals aka scrubs aka whiners aka wrath babies ruined this game and we all know it, hopefully blizzard realized this by now as well and they wont fuck it up in TITAN as they did with WoW. Regardless, its amazing that 8 year old MMO has 8.3 mil subs.
    You think Blizzard is aiming Titan at a few hundred thousand hardcore gamers?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Masternewt View Post
    Herein lies the problem. Casual players are not a loyal player base. They move from title to title, they are sporadic in their invested game time and they can move on regardless of the content you provide.

For example - I download an iPad game. I love it at first, I try out stuff, I may play it on and off for weeks. But when something else catches my attention, I forget about it, usually just uninstall it and try something else.

Trying to cater to the casual player since WotLK had only one long term side effect - Blizzard managed to breed a generation of self entitled players who think WoW is another iPad game where 5min investment means access to everything this game has to offer. They will claim they don't have time to play more, they will claim they don't want to do repetitive stuff, they will claim they don't want to hit their heads at hard content, they will claim they don't want to read patch notes to know what's going on, they will also claim they want instant access to FotM classes.

And they got all. Speed leveling, idiot proof content on ALL levels (questing, solo, scenarios, 5man, raiding), access to epics even if you play 1h/week, reputations that take a week to get to exalted. But then it's catch 22 - too easy content means you burn through it fast and are left with nothing to do. Make thing a bit more challenging, and the QQ starts.

And Blizzard keeps tending to the QQs, changing the game from left to right, losing core players who are tired of a game that is no longer made for them as well as the casuals, who have not sentimental attachement to the game anyway.
    good point, but you forgot 1 thing: if Blizzard doesn't adapt customers, wow dies faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapie View Post
    LFR ruined the game, so did CATA and MOP.
    Maybe for people living in their mom's basement, but I quit when I realized that I couldn't run LFR every week and stay a reasonable distance behind no lifers. Mostly due to the rep grind and rep requirements for gear. Between sports, work, real life and wanting to play at least a few other game I can't commit the minimum time required to see the content.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-09 at 07:19 PM.

The Lightbringer
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    And what logic/evidence do you have to support that? Just because WoW is that way currently? Did you not read my post... the entire dev team was moved from WoW to titan... meaning what ever game you fell in love with during vanilla/TBC... those same creators are on Titan, attempting to make it just as good as WoW was in its prime or even better.
    This was discussed on shareholder calls a while ago. Only in broad strokes but enough to get this.

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

Quote Originally Posted by mikencarly View Post
    Most of the decline in subscribers came from China.this is were the trolls are failing at they have zero to do with me at all back to wow i go!
    Good logic! Even all the other EU/US servers die out, as long as my server is fine, it has zero to do with me. And even all the guilds and people on my server quit, it has zero to do with me as long as I am playing.
    We need more optimists like you.

1.3mill was double of what i expected it would be.
    Seems with each new smaller sizes mmos, WOW bleeds. Wonder what will happen when Teso, FFXIV ARR, Wildstar releases. FFXIV looks to become my main go to mmo with all the nice features i have seen it will include. Their housing system looks really cool, and crafters and gathering classes seems to be a big part of the game unlike just pure statbonuses as wows professions.

Its also funny people say most subs lost was china and there still is 8.3. But if chinese subs are so worthless, how many subscribers is there in EU/US then? If its only 1 mill in each, then the other "failed" mmos with 500k - 2mill are not that far behind WOW.

And there seems to be a lot of servers with extremely low pops. I gave wow up due to low pop and friends quitting, and instead of spending 25usd x 4 character to move them to a more high pop server. I spent 19.99usd and bought FFXIV and i loved it despite it own flaws because the server community was amazing and enough fun stuff to keep me happy.
    Last edited by Kenshin; 2013-05-09 at 03:58 PM.