Different way to look at WoW's popularity.

I don't know how many of you watch live streams but surely some of you do.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory

TwitchTV is the biggest streaming site in the world and shows relatively what games remain the most popular among PC (console somewhat) gamers.

Now looking at that, WoW usually shifts from 3rd to 6th place among games. League of Legends is 99% of the time, the top game that is not uncommon that it has so many people.

So lets look at who live streams now, nearly all are western players. Since the start of MoP more live streamers have appeared which has brought the current views up tremendously from Cata. (Cata was almost always ranked between 10 and 15 in views.) As also a member of the Starcraft community our main way of telling how many players are playing that game is by live stream views. I don't think this is what WoW players do but maybe it should be. Since most sub losses are east and WoW has only gone down slightly in views since the launch of MoP. Maybe the situation in Western WoW isn't really as bad as you might think. Blizzard clearly has some choices to make but for now do not take the sub losses as the immediate death of WoW because it still remains mostly unchanged in the west over the course of live streaming history. What do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    And the majority of the wow streamers are girls there not playing for wow but donations its obvious cleavage + wow = teenage boys = $$$
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    And the majority of the wow streamers are girls there not playing for wow but donations its obvious cleavage + wow = teenage boys = $$$
    Don't ask why but this post made me imagine reckful with tits.
    i am....aroused.

Thats not entirely true, the people usually on top are reckful, sodapoppin, towelliee and hydra all of whom are male players who are good at the game and attract viewers through talent and personality.

Deleted
    As long as WoW's position gets dictated by 3-5 streamers (Soda, Reck, Towellie, Hydra, Swifty) I wouldn't say looking at the ratings is pretty meaningless.

Deleted
    Well twitch.tv only really started to become popular with the rise of LoL. WoW has been around for a lot longer and just doesn't have the same momentum going for it. WoW also tends to be much less "watchable" than LoL or even Starcraft.

LoL also has...what?......70 Mio. players?
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2013-05-08 at 11:16 PM.

Wow streaming is not the same as lol or sc2 or dota. Wow streams are mostly pvp, as streaming pve isn't as interesting. It could have been renamed to "World of Warcraft PVP" imo as %90 of the streamers stream pvp and streaming became popular with pvp.

League never made it to the top spot on Twitch till Own3d died

I wish Own3d didn't die because LoL clogs Twitch up and ruins other streams and VODs with horribly slow loading speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Well twitch only really started to become popular with the rise of LoL. WoW has been around for a lot longer and just doesn't have the same only momentum.

LoL also has...what?......70 Mio. players?
    I only mentioned LoL if people were wondering why it was so high

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    As long as WoW's position gets dictated by 3-5 streamers (Soda, Reck, Towellie, Hydra, Swifty) I wouldn't say looking at the ratings is pretty meaningless.
    People watch what is interesting to them. That is why I think the number of viewers correlates to active players. If I stopped playing WoW I think I would stop watching WoW live streams. For example, I retired from competitive LoL a few months ago and I would never go back to watch a live stream of it just because the game doesn't interest me anymore.

---------- Post added 2013-05-08 at 07:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    Wow streaming is not the same as lol or sc2 or dota. Wow streams are mostly pvp, as streaming pve isn't as interesting. It could have been renamed to "World of Warcraft PVP" imo as %90 of the streamers stream pvp and streaming became popular with pvp.
    Not 90% I would say slightly more PvP streams but PvErs get plenty of views as well. But again watching a top guild wipe during progression a few hundred times doesn't sound very fun so I can see what you are saying.

Twitch as a good measurement?

In other news, the sky is purple. Also to break your argument about players watching, Day9 is one of the most popular starcraft "streamers" / presenters, and a large amount of his audience do not play, or play so little they probably haven't logged in for 6+ months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

That settles it, I'm going to start playing topless. And stream it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

This was just epic win starkey. I loved every bit of this post. Thank you