Poll: What payment model would you like to see for WoW?

10+ Year Old Account

If wow adopted a new payment model?

What kind of payment model would you like to see? Personally I like the idea of having the box be free but still charging a subscription. You could offer people a free 10 days or so with unlimited content. After that they pay their 15 a month.

Edit: below is something i added after starting this thread which i think is important to express.

Quote Originally Posted by Panszer View Post
    I like your idea. But the money they make from monthly fees, is incredible.
    Which is why I think removing subs is a bad idea personally. I do however think that removing the box fee from at the very least everything but the current expansion is a good step to go. Then have a massive marketing campaign about how you dont need to buy wow and you can play free and experience everything for like 10 day to a month. Send out emails to everyone that ever quit and invite them back for a week or two. Also for the people who feel that the immersion has left the game, they should give a reason to not teleport somewhere for the good stuff. Dungeon finder should exist, and should give valor. If you form a group and travel there however, you should get even more valor and more rewards. Half the reason no one travels to dungeons anymore is because its more rewarding, and more efficient to just queue. Those are a few ideas i have to set wow back on track.
    Last edited by Chickat; 2013-05-09 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    What kind of payment model would you like to see? Personally I like the idea of having the box be free but still charging a subscription. You could offer people a free 10 days or so with unlimited content. After that they pay their 15 a month.
    8,000,000 x 60 bucks is why not, and I can't blame them.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    China method xx cents per hour or w/e I would definitly save lots of money as I spend too much time afking anyway..

10+ Year Old Account
    Free download with subscription sounds cool. Especially for newcomers that might get discouraged by having to buy vanilla + 4 expansions.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 11:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    China method xx cents per hour or w/e I would definitly save lots of money as I spend too much time afking anyway..
    Ugh, your signature is creepy'ly accurate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Panszer View Post
    Which is why I think removing subs is a bad idea personally. I do however think that removing the box fee from at the very least everything but the current expansion is a good step to go. Then have a massive marketing campaign about how you dont need to buy wow and you can play free and experience everything for like 10 day to a month. Send out emails to everyone that ever quit and invite them back for a week or two. Also for the people who feel that the immersion has left the game, they should give a reason to not teleport somewhere for the good stuff. Dungeon finder should exist, and should give valor. If you form a group and travel there however, you should get even more valor and more rewards. Half the reason no one travels to dungeons anymore is because its more rewarding, and more efficient to just queue. Those are a few ideas i have to set wow back on track.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokru View Post
    Free download with subscription sounds cool. Especially for newcomers that might get discouraged by having to buy vanilla + 4 expansions.
    It's actually two expansions. Classic, BC, and WotLK are all part of the Battle Chest, which is $20. Beyond that, you're just paying for Cataclysm and Pandaria.

That said, I really like Chickat's idea. I think that would be a fantastic way to pull in new players and bring back a healthy amount of old players. At least it looks fantastic on paper. Practice might be another story.
    Last edited by RemyRawr; 2013-05-09 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Lack of sleep tends to lead to forgetfulness
    "Honesty is a talent, and truth is a cure for ignorance." ~ Unknown
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~ Adam (Mythbuster) Savage
    "Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." ~ Bill Watterson
    "Believe in your strength. Continue to push forward unflinchingly, and without straying from your path." ~ Hero's Spirit

So blizz should spend millions of dollars in creating a new expansion pack and just give it away? Yea only way i see that happening is if they went with a new annual pass so people wouldn't quit after a month of getting it free.

10+ Year Old Account
    IN the short term i think it would hurt them, but you have to think long term. If they went with the gw2 style, then they could have a micro transaction store, no sub fee, and release every patch as a mini expansion for like 5-10 dollars. I think thats viable for the future when wows subs decline a lot more. For now though, I think the best thing they can do is make people stop paying for the game disk. Perhaps to start it make everything but MoP free.