Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    262

    What is the purpose of LFR ?

    I used LFR when it came out , out of curiosity , as most people did , back in Cata.

    I used it again 2 times to check out the 2 other raids , i felt nothing , it was bland , boring. So i wonder.

    What type of enjoyment does it provide to you?

    Is it for gear, purples , with the tag " poo" , i mean "raidfinder" on it ?

    Does it give a sense of progression , of improvement of your game ?

    To see all the content? so you can say you have beaten the game?

  2. #2
    Stood in the Fire grumpyoldman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    390
    As stated by Blizzard, IIRC, LFR was implemented to allow people who don't raid to see the game story. For example, at the time of Dragon Soul, people who didn't raid could see the story of Deathwing being defeated.

    Me, I use it as a way to equip myself to do normal raiding. Once I get enough gear I stop playing LFR on that char. But I've heard of people who currently don't have the time to do normal raids and so do LFR.
    YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    WoW was always pretty much He-Man regarding the story and the characters.

  3. #3
    LFR serves two purposes.

    1. A catch up mechanic to allow people a means to obtain gear to start progressing in the current tier.

    2. To allow people unable or unwilling to commit to progressive raiding to see the content, both bosses and story, that lie within raids.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    I used LFR when it came out , out of curiosity , as most people did , back in Cata.

    I used it again 2 times to check out the 2 other raids , i felt nothing , it was bland , boring. So i wonder.

    What type of enjoyment does it provide to you?

    Is it for gear, purples , with the tag " poo" , i mean "raidfinder" on it ?

    Does it give a sense of progression , of improvement of your game ?

    To see all the content? so you can say you have beaten the game?
    It's for people who don't have the time to raid. A year ago I had a crappy computer that would crash constantly. If LFR didn't exist I would have never seen dragon soul because no guild would take someone with my computer issues. I get to learn the fights so I don't hold my guild back on raid nights(got a better computer later on). Gear doesn't matter normally but I need it for raids atm. Anyone who has done LFR and thinks they have beaten the game is silly all I can say.
    You're right except for 2 things.

    1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

  5. #5
    I enjoy playing my alts in LFR. It gives a chance to learn how to play a class in a raiding environment. I know what you are going to say.... it's too easy and so doesn't give the chance to actually learn a class but I disagree.

  6. #6
    Purpose of LFR was to let bad players and players with no time (to improve) to faceroll big bosses and keep all the accomplished feelings of a real raider.

    Loot and gear is a big reward factor in raiding so they gave them a recolor of the real thing. This kept players happy for a while because they usually just had to wait for everything to be nerfed to get awesome loot.

    But after a while they got tired of it. It's like a child who ate too much candy and now their tummy hurts. Sometimes in a game like WoW you have to eat your veggies to appreciate the sweets.

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire unrealeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SCOTLAND, FREEDOOOM! (coming sep 2014, possibly)
    Posts
    413
    It's for heroic raid geared players to go into and show off their leet skada topping skills.

  8. #8
    Epic! schwank05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sanborn, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    I do it for the gear, basically the only reason I raid in general. What other reason is there to play a gear treadmill game like WOW?

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer foxHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Inside Jabu-jabu's Belly
    Posts
    3,460
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    But after a while they got tired of it. It's like a child who ate too much candy and now their tummy hurts. Sometimes in a game like WoW you have to eat your veggies to appreciate the sweets.
    And having an actual job you have to show up to makes having raiding commitments (second job) become inconvenient and undesirable. The more you know.
    Look! Words!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    Purpose of LFR was to let bad players and players with no time (to improve) to faceroll big bosses and keep all the accomplished feelings of a real raider.

    Loot and gear is a big reward factor in raiding so they gave them a recolor of the real thing. This kept players happy for a while because they usually just had to wait for everything to be nerfed to get awesome loot.

    But after a while they got tired of it. It's like a child who ate too much candy and now their tummy hurts. Sometimes in a game like WoW you have to eat your veggies to appreciate the sweets.

    This is absolutely the opposite of why a lot of people enjoy LFR.

    As a previous hardcore WoW raider, I simply just couldn't justify the time expended any longer. It was severely impacting my quality of life.
    Trying to drop down to more "casual" raiding I faced either being in guilds that suited the time I was willing and able to allot and failing on the second boss of each tier repeatedly, or spending damn near the same amount of raiding hours as before, but with much less success.

    The need to take orders from complete strangers, deal with unsavory characters, be sat out for raids/on call in case they needed me, and apply to guilds like it was a six figure salary job also just tarnished the game experience for me, after doing it for 5 years.

    However, without gear/raids, there's just nothing to do after leveling for a PVE player.

    I had previously quit early Cataclysm, but with LFR, I have come back and religiously run at least 2 characters through LFR with a few friends, every week. Sure, it's repetative, but it's the most I've enjoyed WoW in the last few years.
    I don't "feel like I've accomplished something" by beating LFRs, except for actually enoying my time in the game for once.
    Last edited by Serpentsatellite; 2013-05-09 at 03:18 PM.

  11. #11
    Warchief Asmodias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,150
    It's a way for my main to have a better chance at a set bonus for my guild's regular raid.

    It's a way for my alts to gear up and catch up.

    It's a way to cap valor.

    It's a way for me to test out different spec/talent/glyph ideas without being a detriment to my normal raid.

    It gave me the opportunity to become a multifaceted player. Let me elaborate...
    I started playing when BC launched. I rolled a mage and never looked back. Over the years, I have made several alts but they all end up being DPS. Even the priest I made spent her life as shadow. Recently, I started to feel like it was time to branch out into either healing or tanking, but I lacked the confidence to do so in a 5 man setting ( I felt as though there was so much responsibility on a tank/healer that it scared me). My girlfriend said I should heal an LFR as a stepping stone. I gave it a shot and found that I really enjoyed healing. It gave me the confidence boost I needed to commit to healing. Now, my shaman is permanently resto and I love it.

    Sure, it's neutered when compared to the normal versions, and yes... there are players who queue and then don't care about what happens. But it has its uses.

    All of this begs the question. If we didn't have the "bads" (as people so delicately put it)... Would there be as much LFR "hate" or "dislike"?


    Uber Casual | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    LFR serves two purposes.

    1. A catch up mechanic to allow people a means to obtain gear to start progressing in the current tier.

    2. To allow people unable or unwilling to commit to progressive raiding to see the content, both bosses and story, that lie within raids.
    ^^ This. And:

    3. A relaxing way to enjoy raiding without the need to "work". I enjoy regular raiding. But, I also enjoy just hopping in LFR once in a while to go through the fights without the need for coordination or putting in a ton of effort. It also lets me practice my off-specs.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    Purpose of LFR was to let bad players and players with no time (to improve) to faceroll big bosses and keep all the accomplished feelings of a real raider.

    Loot and gear is a big reward factor in raiding so they gave them a recolor of the real thing. This kept players happy for a while because they usually just had to wait for everything to be nerfed to get awesome loot.

    But after a while they got tired of it. It's like a child who ate too much candy and now their tummy hurts. Sometimes in a game like WoW you have to eat your veggies to appreciate the sweets.
    Ohh the misguided arrogance of the elitist. This post was the least helpful of them all.

    I for one, use LFR because 1) My pc slows down during world raids, let alone get into a real raid and fail the group because of it. 2) It lets me see the content that i otherwise wouldn't be able to see for reason #1. 3) Gives me a chance at gear because its more forgiving than real raids and I can progress somewhat in my own way.
    From BC to mid Cata, I raided fairly seriously but just don't care to anymore.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    LFR serves two purposes.

    1. A catch up mechanic to allow people a means to obtain gear to start progressing in the current tier.

    2. To allow people unable or unwilling to commit to progressive raiding to see the content, both bosses and story, that lie within raids.
    basically this. and I personally have a huge problem with #1, in ICC (my first raiding experience), The Lich King felt like a goal that was so far away for me. My guild was casual and all, and we did finally beat The Lich King, but all the while when I'm raiding ICC, I just think "oh it's so cool, look at that guy who killed The Lich King already!", and nowadays it's like "oh hey...yeah I know that fight I did it yesterday in lfr".

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Ohh the misguided arrogance of the elitist. This post was the least helpful of them all.

    I for one, use LFR because 1) My pc slows down during world raids, let alone get into a real raid and fail the group because of it. 2) It lets me see the content that i otherwise wouldn't be able to see for reason #1. 3) Gives me a chance at gear because its more forgiving than real raids and I can progress somewhat in my own way.
    From BC to mid Cata, I raided fairly seriously but just don't care to anymore.
    LFR doesn't solve your #1 problem. Does LFR speed your computer up during raids? Nope.

    You don't need LFR to solve your #2 problem either. Assuming you played before LFR existed can you tell me which instance you haven't seen yet? I mean, since LFR enables you to see what you can't otherwise see then you haven't seen the raids that came out before LFR right?
    You still see it after nerfs and out gearing it.

    As for #3 that's the biggy which I was talking about. People love loot but don't want to work for it and that just happens to be everybody! Presto. And then there was LFR.

  16. #16
    It's there cause Blizzard's trying to cater to everyone which is retarded. Removes that great feeling of clearing an instance properly for the first time knowing that everyone will have done it in no time at all, fucking stupid system.

  17. #17
    What's the purpose of heroic raiding? For players to get snazzy titles and mounts, then idle at Shrine to show it off to the people like me who glance at them once on their way to do dailies?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    Purpose of LFR was to let bad players and players with no time (to improve) to faceroll big bosses and keep all the accomplished feelings of a real raider.

    Loot and gear is a big reward factor in raiding so they gave them a recolor of the real thing. This kept players happy for a while because they usually just had to wait for everything to be nerfed to get awesome loot.

    But after a while they got tired of it. It's like a child who ate too much candy and now their tummy hurts. Sometimes in a game like WoW you have to eat your veggies to appreciate the sweets.
    Oh could you stfu you pathetic elitist asshole.

    How about this: LFR is for people, like myself, who have 2 kids, an 8 year education, a steady job and a social life who ALSO like to play the game they been playing the last 7 years, to the fullest extent possible?

    How about that?

    So get the fuck of your high horse will you? Ill bet half my annual salary (which is probably more than you make in 5 years), and my s1-5 gladiator titel, that your sorry ass aint got half the skills i got, or for that matter, half the RL.

    Infracted: Please avoid personal insults in your replies. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-05-09 at 05:24 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post
    Oh could you stfu you pathetic elitist asshole.

    How about this: LFR is for people, like myself, who have 2 kids, an 8 year education, a steady job and a social life who ALSO like to play the game they been playing the last 7 years, to the fullest extent possible?

    How about that?

    So get the fuck of your high horse will you? Ill bet half my annual salary (which is probably more than you make in 5 years), and my s1-5 gladiator titel, that your sorry ass aint got half the skills i got, or for that matter, half the RL.
    Inb4 Infraction/ban. And remember there is always someone who makes more than you (unless you are Carlos Slim).

    OT: LFR is for blizzard to shoot themselves in the foot

    "Players consume content faster and subscribe and unsubscribe as new content is added."

  20. #20
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,186
    In 4.3 LFR was a way to see content and get gear for those who don't have the time to commit to a guild for normal/heroic.

    Now it's another required way to get gear for raiding.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •