Upgrading Dell XPS8300

8300 Specs: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-8300/pd

So I just bought CoD:BO2 yesterday and I kept FPS lagging a bit. I'm only playing on 1024x768. So I think it's finally time to upgrade my video card. I play WoW, CoD obviously, Neverwinter, and league of legends.

I had my eye on this card right here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127699
    It's on sale right now for 184.99 with a mail in rebate(which I don't mind doing). My only concern is the powersupply on my 8300. It's only 460w. What do you guys think? Maybe a different card that cheaper that will still work? I do want to try playing at higher resolutions as I have a 22" wide screen monitor. And this card is at the top end of my budget.

That pc doesnt have a PCI 3.0 Port. ( PCIe x16 (1), PCIe x1 (3) ) Which doesnt make sense. Seems like a real nice pc. Why would they go old school and cheap on the ports...? ( I hope the website is wrong on the PCI port. It says next gen but thats just lazy typing. Give me exact details lol. )

Gonna be bottlenecking it. And since I know its a stock PSU, I would highly invest purchasing a nice; at least 600 watt psu, if you plan on upgrading your video card
    Last edited by Holyshnikies; 2013-05-09 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added

Interface
    Interface
    PCI Express 3.0 x16
    Or am I mistaken?
    So you're saying I'm gonna need to upgrade my PSU? Great. Well that's not gonna work out well right now. :P thanks for the info though. Guess ill have to wait for a big newegg sale.

Deleted
    The dell XPS8300 uses a locked sandy bridge CPU with a h67 motherboard so it has PCI-E 2.0 which means no issue.

The 660 would be fine for your uses. a 460w psu would be cutting it, but I believe it'll be enough if the PSU is of good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    The 660 would be fine for your uses. a 460w psu would be cutting it, but I believe it'll be enough if the PSU is of good quality.
    So if I were to get the card now, do you think it'll last 6 months before I can buy the PSU?

Quote Originally Posted by bLank- View Post
    I had my eye on this card right here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127699
    It's on sale right now for 184.99 with a mail in rebate(which I don't mind doing).
    This is significantly cheaper and only 5-10% slower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127728
    Also on sale today.

So if I were to get the card now, do you think it'll last 6 months before I can buy the PSU?
    Don't think you'll need a new PSU at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Why would they go old school and cheap on the ports...?
    Maybe because it's old computer.

Gonna be bottlenecking it.
    No it will not. PCIe2.0 will not bottleneck even GTX690 or GTX Titan.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    This is significantly cheaper and only 5-10% slower http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127728
    Also on sale today.
    That's actually a pretty good deal. The 650 ti boost is pretty decent, and it'll run without any problems on your system, again, assuming the PSU is not worthless crap. The current card in the XPS is like the lowest end of power consumption, so you have no idea how far the PSU can go.

I would buy a new psu first. Then a video card. You really don't want to fry your stuff ya know. A good psu can make many differences in performance than just powering the computer itself. But since you pointed out its 3.0 ( good ) then nothing to worry there. But even if you bought the video card, i doubt the stock psu will have the extra connectors to power it.

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151095
    Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130825

I would buy a new psu first. Then a video card. You really don't want to fry your stuff ya know.
    It's really not necessary unless the PSU is really bad quality and no such thing has been widely reported about Dell. Whole OP's system will use about 300W with the new graphics card, GTX660 or GTX650ti/boost. No more than 300 so the 460W should be fine.

A good psu can make many differences in performance than just powering the computer itself.
    The computer will either work or it doesn't. It will either not power up at all or crash when you try to start some 3D game. There are no performance effects whatsoever.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Oh, I see what this has come to. An "im right your wrong thing no matter what". Ill let him have his moment.

Deleted
    Oh, I see what this has come to. An "im right your wrong thing no matter what". Ill let him have his moment.
    He is right though. Having an overkill PSU won't magically make your pc faster/better.

Bad and/or incorrect advice is still just as bad and incorrect even from a self-righteous martyr.

Modern switching power supplies like the ones used in computers work optimally when run at about 50-80% of the rated power. In case of 300W draw OP might have the PSU should be 600W maximum and 375W minimum to operate at maximum efficiency.

In your computer the 730W PSU drops to 40% usage when the parts you have need only about 300W. It's not dangerous but the PSU will heat up more and it will use slightly more electricity for nothing than a 600W PSU would.
    Trolling should be.

Just as an update, I ordered the 650 as vesseblah had suggested. $179.29 before the rebate. I'll be pickin it up from will call today, tomorrow, or Monday and will update wether it is working great or not.

Update: picked up my card. Installed it. Played WoW on ultra with 40 FPS. Also plays League no problem max resolution and max settings at 60 FPS constant. I'll update again when I've tried CoD and Neverwinter

UPDATE2: Playing CoD 1920X1080 60 FPS constant. Thank you everybody for your amazing help. You guys rock!
    Last edited by bLank-; 2013-05-10 at 12:32 AM.