Page 39 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Few things that were odd to me so far:

-Diplomacy: Most of the time you have to offer payments to get someone to go along with a trade agreement, even if relations are exceptionally high. Other times they will ask you for a trade agreement AND demand a payment, but you can counter-offer and take off the payment and they will accept (lol?)

-Morale/battlespeed/unit sizes: Battles are WAY too small, and are over WAY to quickly. You usually don't have enough time to employ any sort of tactics before enemies are on top of you and its just a blob fest of units.

-PublicOrder/Food buildings: Public order building takes 4 food a turn and gives 4 order...food building gives 4 food but takes 4 order (squalor). Doesn't this just cancel each other out and you just end up with slight income (like 100 or so)?

-Armies that can insta summon boats to jet across the ocean. This needs to be fixed, otherwise, what is the point of building a large navy? At least make it take a turn after they get on boat before they can move, along with a cost.

OH and the stats of Authority, Zeal, and Cunning. I had no idea what these did (no info on them anywhere) until my generals/agents leveled up enough so I could see bonuses I was getting. The UI and information presented to the player in this game is nonexistent and confusing at times
    Last edited by Prodigy152; 2013-09-04 at 03:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the battles seem to be smooth. Think I'm noticing that memory leak I've heard others mention.

My rig is.

AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz
    8 GB Ram
    HD 6850 1GB
    Win7 64bit

These are the settings I'm using at 1920x1080.

Benchmark tests give me 31 to 32 fps for the average.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-09-04 at 03:43 AM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy152 View Post
    OH and the stats of Authority, Zeal, and Cunning. I had no idea what these did (no info on them anywhere) until my generals/agents leveled up enough so I could see bonuses I was getting. The UI and information presented to the player in this game is nonexistent and confusing at times
    When you click on a general unit, their portrait appear on the left hand side of the screen, plus some icons above his head. Look for the Authority/Zeal/Cunning icons and mouse-over them. It will explain what they do.

Yea, but I agree the U.I. is much less intuitive this time around compared to previous TW games. Even Rome 1 had a much better interface.

Just a quick question for those who have the game. Im seeing maps of the world and all I see is Europe and parts of the Middle East. Is that the extent of the map on this game? Napoleon had North American and India in it. I was hoping for a bigger map to play on that Rome1 expansion . If anyone can link a pic of how big the map really is that would be great.

We get much more of the middle east and Russia in Rome II than I remember in Rome I, but that seems to be the extent of the changes.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    its so horrible un-optimised.

though ive been told every total war launch is like this?

is this one any worse than usual?
    I seem to remember the Empire launch being similar.

Why does it feel like that for every minute of gameplay I have to wait five?

Also, my game is fugly -> need a new computer. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    there's a lot of new stuff actually. i dislike a lot of that stuff actually, and there are quite a few good reason to avoid this game (at least for now) but saying there is "nothing new" is just plain not true.
    I haven't found anything new from empire total war except naval siege of towns. It comes down to just produce one type of units like crazy and rush )in this case cavalry). I was able to DESTROY enemy spearmen!!! units with cavalry!!! in like 3 seconds of a fight. Just form wedge and order them to rush in with full speed.
    Inability to split armies, a lot of bugs in story campaign mode (not letting you do stuff you want and if you don't do it, you can be locked out of game). For example: I was before last city with my roman army to attack it and free consul of rome, but I took to few men with me so I went to siege just to check how much army I will be up against. I deployed siege and I was moving another army close to assist me. Well problem is that you HAVE to attack in next turn and if you break siege and attack again you cannot even attack or take turn or anything. It's just game over.
    But not only that there are a lot of other bugs and graphical glitches. Game just isn't worth 55€. Maybe 10€, but not 55€ at all. I don't know what is the problem with those new games. They make super duper teasers to make us all drool and when game comes out it's just a miserable disappointment.
    Just look few examples of last few years:
    Sim city 5. They promised many many things. What you actually got? Simple stupid version of what they was promising.
    Diablo 3 - ok this game is actually pretty good by itself, it's just too repetitive. You go through game and then you have to do it 1000x times more to get to paragorn level 100 and to actually get some useful loot (that is only a chance here, you might NEVER get it). They promised PvP and still nothing. They promised loot change, still nothing...
    WoW MoP - they promised a lot of things... still nothing of any of them, specially PvP balance. The only nice change was resilience change, but they made this because they are out of ideas what else to do.
    GW2... they created so much hype that I almost drown in my drool, but again game disappointed me I never leveled any character past level 35. They promised revolution in MMO genre, but... it wasn't even near.

It's just like lately game developers are creating games full of bugs and so narrow that I'm amazed how they manage it. In teasers they usually promise a lot of things and show super duper graphics and everything, in reality it's just plucked game of original idea and full of bugs...
    Last edited by Numeanor; 2013-09-04 at 05:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Numeanor View Post
    I haven't found anything new from empire total war except naval siege of towns. It comes down to just produce one type of units like crazy and rush )in this case cavalry). I was able to DESTROY enemy spearmen!!! units with cavalry!!! in like 3 seconds of a fight. Just form wedge and order them to rush in with full speed.
    Inability to split armies, a lot of bugs in story campaign mode (not letting you do stuff you want and if you don't do it, you can be locked out of game). For example: I was before last city with my roman army to attack it and free consul of rome, but I took to few men with me so I went to siege just to check how much army I will be up against. I deployed siege and I was moving another army close to assist me. Well problem is that you HAVE to attack in next turn and if you break siege and attack again you cannot even attack or take turn or anything. It's just game over.
    But not only that there are a lot of other bugs and graphical glitches. Game just isn't worth 55€. Maybe 10€, but not 55€ at all. I don't know what is the problem with those new games. They make super duper teasers to make us all drool and when game comes out it's just a miserable disappointment.
    Just look few examples of last few years:
    Sim city 5. They promised many many things. What you actually got? Simple stupid version of what they was promising.
    Diablo 3 - ok this game is actually pretty good by itself, it's just too repetitive. You go through game and then you have to do it 1000x times more to get to paragorn level 100 and to actually get some useful loot (that is only a chance here, you might NEVER get it). They promised PvP and still nothing. They promised loot change, still nothing...
    WoW MoP - they promised a lot of things... still nothing of any of them, specially PvP balance. The only nice change was resilience change, but they made this because they are out of ideas what else to do.
    GW2... they created so much hype that I almost drown in my drool, but again game disappointed me I never leveled any character past level 35. They promised revolution in MMO genre, but... it wasn't even near.

It's just like lately game developers are creating games full of bugs and so narrow that I'm amazed how they manage it. In teasers they usually promise a lot of things and show super duper graphics and everything, in reality it's just plucked game of original idea and full of bugs...
    Sorta Off-top, but you do realize Diablo games have always been repetitive. also they have PvP in game (not the greatest yet, but it's there) and they've fixed loot a ton, not to mention it's getting even better next expansion.

On topic with Rome 2, really hope they fix a lot of things and improve on it all soon... I've always enjoyed Total Wars

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't had any problems here, I like most of the 'new' systems and of the few issues I have most are just recentish TW issues such as dislike of the ease of just crushing entire armies via morale. Also seem to be lucky enough to have a setup similar to one of three PC's they tested the game out on as I'm running everything maxed out (just with 8x Aniso) and it looks good and runs smooth (48 average fps on benchmark). Friend of mine had his first BSOD in about 5 years as further evidence for the reports about memory leaks.
    Last edited by Nirawen; 2013-09-04 at 06:43 AM.

Deleted
    Few things that were odd to me so far:
    -Diplomacy: Most of the time you have to offer payments to get someone to go along with a trade agreement, even if relations are exceptionally high. Other times they will ask you for a trade agreement AND demand a payment, but you can counter-offer and take off the payment and they will accept (lol?)
    Agreed that Trade Agreements are often too hard to get. I don't see why really - mutually beneficial. Anyone you are on friendly terms with should agree to it imo. Being able to counter-offer just makes sense though. They almost always will agree to something less beneficial then what they offer - kinda like trade anywhere.

-Morale/battlespeed/unit sizes: Battles are WAY too small, and are over WAY to quickly. You usually don't have enough time to employ any sort of tactics before enemies are on top of you and its just a blob fest of units.
    Felt the same at first, but using pause and slow-mo allot, I start to actually like it. I do believe that the AI is a bit too happy to just throw all their units into the same area, causing a complete mess, instead of using proper tactics though.

-PublicOrder/Food buildings: Public order building takes 4 food a turn and gives 4 order...food building gives 4 food but takes 4 order (squalor). Doesn't this just cancel each other out and you just end up with slight income (like 100 or so)?
    Yeah.. So? Pick one or the other. Specialize.

-Armies that can insta summon boats to jet across the ocean. This needs to be fixed, otherwise, what is the point of building a large navy? At least make it take a turn after they get on boat before they can move, along with a cost.
    Agreed, this doesn't seem to work as it should. During prologue it says that if you embark from a port/harbour, you loose no action points, but if you embark from anywhere else you do. Doesn't much feel like it, so if this happens at all it's not enough.

Agreed with this, but I am getting used to the UI at large, atleast during campaign. At first I was confused with where to find stuff, but so I was in Shogun. Stuff changed, but not nessesarily to the worse for most things.

- - - Updated - - -

Some questions of my own:

1. Do anyone else have issues with ranged units charging when you click enemies? Doesn't happen all the time, but especially if i'm slightly out of range, click an enemy to target it specifically, then instead of taking a few steps forward then shooting/throwing they charge straight into melee. This is not with melee mode on.
    Is this how it has always been? I seem to remember that if I click an enemy with a ranged unit, it should just get into range, then start shooting.

2. Units from non-playable factions. Started a campaign with the Bretons, but felt quite limited with the units I had access to. Is there any way to access more units? I mean, half the army buildings are useless, as they only give new units for one of the other Breton tribes, not the one that is playable. Is there some way I can gain access to these units?

3. When blocking off an area with spearmen/swordsmen - say as much as 5-10 man deep - sometimes the enemies just push straight through. Sure, they will loose quite a few soldiers, but they barely get slowed down. Lost a town when the enemy just charged straight through my ranks, turned around and smashed me from two sided.
    Is this intended, a bug, or something that some specific units are good at? I have not found any common circumstances for when this happens. Sometimes my soldiers manage to block the enemy, sometimes they just flow straight through.
    Last edited by mmocad991e1826; 2013-09-04 at 07:39 AM.

Cheesus christ, my generals are suicidal. I had 2 cavarly units + the bodyguard general unit, I charge them into 1 single cavarly unit, the general is the first to die. Second time it happened already.

Game is annoying me, everything set to ultra and the game looks like shit, even worse than it does on normal settings.

Battles are over in 4 mins too...... Way to short.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Nah it's fugly for everyone right now. Hopefully they'll patch it soon.
    Didnt know inbreeding was so popular in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Didnt know inbreeding was so popular in that era.
    It was actually, especially among the Roman nobility. Icky stuff.

bleh i've only been playing for about 1hr and i actually feel like its a step back from shogun 2, just fundamental things are missing, restacking armies, moving broken units back to towns, i mean these things were in the first rome, the ui is terrible the performance is sporadic. why did they redesign everything that worked?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    bleh i've only been playing for about 1hr and i actually feel like its a step back from shogun 2, just fundamental things are missing, restacking armies, moving broken units back to towns, i mean these things were in the first rome, the ui is terrible the performance is sporadic. why did they redesign everything that worked?
    Because INNOVATION and CHANGE! Bah, they should've just remade Rome 1 with some additional features, unit/faction changes/additions, better AI and better graphics instead of making a new game and calling it Rome 2.

Deleted
    Anyone else had entire units dieing without corpse in battlemode when all enemies are already dead?

What a joke... I attack with my general from the rear, a perfect flank, and in instants my general is under attack and dead. GoodGame

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    What a joke... I attack with my general from the rear, a perfect flank, and in instants my general is under attack and dead. GoodGame
    People die in war. Don't want to risk the lift of your general? Don't toss him into melee.