Page 1 of 75
... LastLast
    Deleted

Rome II : Total War

So Rome II : total war's release date has just been announced. Who is going to pre-order it? And what do you guys think of the free dlc that comes with it?

I myself pre-ordered it instantly as I was looking forward to this game alot and I am quite suprised we are not getting 1, not two but three extra factions above the 9 that were announced already.

Not going to preorder it untill i get:

1. A preview of the campain.
    2. Preview of everything else.

Already pissed that factions are gonna be paid dlc :|

Deleted
    When is the release date?

Deleted
    3 september 2013.

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Not going to preorder it untill i get:

1. A preview of the campain.
    2. Preview of everything else.

Already pissed that factions are gonna be paid dlc :|
    They did the same with Shogun II but this time 4 factions are actually free, there are already more factions then in Shogun II which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    3 september 2013.

---------- Post added 2013-05-09 at 02:39 PM ----------

They did the same with Shogun II but this time 4 factions are actually free, there are already more factions then in Shogun II which is great.
    I didn't buy shogun 2 either. Last one I got was empire, and that was awful.

Ugh, enough with the frekking dlc already. I miss the days when you could buy a game and that would be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rome and Medieval 2 are still the best total war games in my opinion.

I'm not gonna pre order the game as I haven't quite enjoyed the last couple total war games. And
    having day 1 DLC which is included as pre order bonus I probably won't buy the game at all.

Unfortunately I'm not a DLC person at all. I'd rather buy the game, play it through and then buy an
    expansion pack after a year with bunch of new factions, maps, campaign and stuff.

Deleted
    You get a bonus if you pre-order it? That's a big enough sign that the game will fail. Sigh, and I loved Rome:Total War and Medieval 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    You get a bonus if you pre-order it?
    You get bonus if you preorder anything these days...

You get a bonus if you pre-order it? That's a big enough sign that the game will fail. Sigh, and I loved Rome:Total War and Medieval 2.
    Sadly it's a trend we see with all games now. You pre-order the game, pay for a season pass, get a bunch of disappointing DLC that should have been in the original release, then bitch about how bad the game was until the next one comes out and start the process all over again. Gaming is so much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    Rome and Medieval 2 are still the best total war games in my opinion.

I'm not gonna pre order the game as I haven't quite enjoyed the last couple total war games. And
    having day 1 DLC which is included as pre order bonus I probably won't buy the game at all.

Unfortunately I'm not a DLC person at all. I'd rather buy the game, play it through and then buy an
    expansion pack after a year with bunch of new factions, maps, campaign and stuff.
    I don't see day 1 on the dlc...

It just says pre-orders get it free :\

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    I don't see day 1 on the dlc...

It just says pre-orders get it free :\
    So what if I don't want to pre-order it? Am I supposed to buy the game piece by piece? And each piece is overpriced by the way. It's a trick.

It's a trick.
    If you dont want to buy the game, dont buy it and dont try to persuade us that we dont want it too. Thanks.

Deleted
    So what if I don't want to pre-order it? Am I supposed to buy the game piece by piece? And each piece is overpriced by the way. It's a trick.
    Seeing how there isn't a price mentioned, how would you know.
    And how much is 3 new races worth, seeing how the base game will have 9 playable from the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll buy it but so help me god it better not have shogun 2's loading times.
    I could load up the game, go to the gym for an hour, grab some lunch, drive across the state and come back home and just get to the faction select screen.
    Not really but you get what I mean.

Deleted
    You get a dlc free if you pre-order it. If you don't that's fine. They will sell it later. They did it with the hattori clan pack in shogun II too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    If you dont want to buy the game, dont buy it and dont try to persuade us that we dont want it too. Thanks.
    I never understood the pleasure and fascination of getting manipulated into buying the same things for more money. You even called a "bonus" something that should have been in the game in the first place. I will speak against this DLC strategy whenever I'm damned pleased to do so, and just because you got fooled by it, or enjoy it for some obscure reason that doesn't mean I have to like it either.

Seeing how there isn't a price mentioned, how would you know.
    And how much is 3 new races worth, seeing how the base game will have 9 playable from the start.
    Because it's always the same. See ME 3 and Colonial Marines.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-05-09 at 04:04 PM.

Deleted
    Because it's always the same. See ME 3 and Colonial Marines.
    If it was around £4.99 (or whatever currency you use), I'd say it would be easily worth it.
    The base game with 9 playable is £44.99, and I don't think they're just holding onto them to sell later as they're already releasing pontus for free on release as they finished it before they thought they would.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    You get a dlc free if you pre-order it. If you don't that's fine. They will sell it later. They did it with the hattori clan pack in shogun II too
    Actually they will sell said DLC on the day.

Why the fuck should I have to pay to play a faction that is already in the bloody campain in the first place?

In the original ones you could really simply unlock all the factions with no effort whatsoever :|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zwoopaman View Post
    Ugh, enough with the frekking dlc already. I miss the days when you could buy a game and that would be it.
    Yeah... because expansion packs didn't exist right?

Take it from someone in the industry (Sort of), they're not chopping bits off the game to make DLC. There's a gap of several months after the game has been made where artists and designers don't really have anything to do, as the game is being bug-tested etc. During this time they'd normally have to move onto other projects, but instead they get put on DLC to give them something to do and add a bit more content to the game. All the DLC you're getting is extra stuff they didn't have in the original scope of the project.

You may also be asking "Well why don't they just release the DLC for free, since I've already paid for the game, they're just being greedy right"?

No, for the most part, not really. It is INCREDIBLY risky to fund a game in this day and age. The market hasn't quite caught up with the industry so to speak. Games regularly come out with the same cost as big blockbuster films, but they don't have a market of anywhere NEAR the same size. Literally one mistake, one game that doesn't sell enough, one game that critics don't like, and boom, down goes your company. Let me highlight Guitar Hero for example. They were actually making a profit, but they got canned, why?

To quote Activision "They weren't making ENOUGH". Let's go more recent. THQ; pretty much all the companies under their umbrella were being profitable, but because of THQ's failed console venture, they were fucked, they couldn't recover and as such, they went under.

The industry is incredibly cut-throat, and as such, they need all the money they can get, otherwise their studio risks getting executed as it were. DLC is one of the ways to help them stay afloat; use your artists' and designers free time to get a bit more content into the game so players can buy it if they want it. Two birds with one stone, bit of extra income, and gives the team something to do during the downtime.
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2013-05-09 at 05:15 PM.