View Poll Results: Would you prefer a scaling VP cost to gear based on Rep?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 75.00%
  • No

    1 25.00%
  1. #1

    Would VP gear with a scaling rep based cost been better received?

    I know a lot of water has passed under this bridge, so it is a little late to be talking about it much now, but I am curious at other people's take on the subject.

    Right now, you need to meet some minimum level of rep with different factions as well as having the required amount of VP's to purchase the gear. Getting rep is a bit easier now in 5.2, but in 5.0, it was pretty much just dailies, dailies, and more dailies, if you wanted to unlock even the chance to spend your VP on gear, which didn't sit very well with a lot of people.

    My question is, instead of the current MoP system, would people have preferred where they could purchase rep gear with 0 rep but with an inflated VP cost if they didn't grind the rep to a point, say +10% VP cost per rep level below what the current minimum rep would have been?

    For example, let's take Dawnblade's Chestguard
    In 5.0, it required revered with Golden Lotus and sold for 2250VP. So, with a scaling rep-based cost, the cost would be as follows:

    2925 VP = Neutral (+30%)
    2700 VP = Friendly (+20%)
    2475 VP = Honored (+10%)
    2250 VP = Revered (+0%)
    2025 VP = Exalted (-10%)

    That would allow you to buy anything after farming enough VP yet not require you to farm ANY rep, although the benefit for doing so is still very clear to the player. It just simply wouldn't be mandatory, which was the chief complaint by most all. They can then make their own cost vs effort analysis on a case by case basis to determine if they were fine with paying the increased price or if they would farm some rep first to knock off 10% per rep level.

    So, simply question, would you have preferred that?
    Last edited by Deathgoose; 2013-05-09 at 08:11 PM.

  2. #2
    edit- nm

    /10char
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2013-05-09 at 08:15 PM.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Next time you guys log in, Blizzard should freeze your character, spawn your favourite mount and shoot it in the head. - Mormolyce

  3. #3
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    speedrunslive.com
    Posts
    18,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I know a lot of water has passed under this bridge, so it is a little late to be talking about it much now, but I am curious at other people's take on the subject.

    Right now, you need to meet some minimum level of rep with different factions as well as having the required amount of VP's to purchase the gear. Getting rep is a bit easier now in 5.2, but in 5.0, it was pretty much just dailies, dailies, and more dailies, if you wanted to unlock even the chance to spend your VP on gear, which didn't sit very well with a lot of people.

    My question is, instead of the current MoP system, would people have preferred where they could purchase rep gear with 0 rep but with an inflated VP cost if they didn't grind the rep to a point, say +10% VP cost per rep level below what the current minimum rep would have been?

    For example, let's take Dawnblade's Chestguard
    In 5.0, it required revered with Golden Lotus and sold for 2250VP. So, with a scaling rep-based cost, the cost would be as follows:

    2925 VP = Neutral (+30%)
    2700 VP = Friendly (+20%)
    2475 VP = Honored (+10%)
    2250 VP = Revered (+0%)
    2025 VP = Exalted (-10%)

    That would allow you to buy anything after farming enough VP yet not require you to farm ANY rep, although the benefit for doing so is still very clear to the player. It just simply wouldn't be mandatory, which was the chief complaint by most all. They can then make their own cost vs effort analysis on a case by case basis to determine if they were fine with paying the increased price or if they would farm some rep first to knock off 10% per rep level.

    So, simply question, would you have preferred that?
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I think making rep account wide would have been a good idea.
    Either of those would have helped the reception of rep gear. Alternatively, not requiring Golden Lotus Revered to unlock the other factions. So players can pick which one to do each stay instead of grinding GL for weeks.

    Or better yet, not have made the change in the first place.
    Permanently unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    Been a fun run guys, but the game's officially moved into the "Milk the Playerbase" phase. And I for one don't intend to stick around as the cost of expansions go up, content in them goes down, and raids become further and further apart.
    Maybe I'll be back for WoW2, but probably not. - Slowpoke, the former Dokhidamo

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I think making rep account wide would have been a good idea.
    As someone with the Beloved achievement, I would indeed love that, but I don't expect that to ever happen. At least the commendations is a helpful step towards that, although I wish they would now go impliment those for all of the old factions.

  5. #5
    no.
    As it is, Valor is a limited ressource and you would want to maximize what you get for your valor.

    Locking away valor items behind rep was simply a bad idea.
    Although the most stupid idea was locking away jp gear behind rep in the beginning...

    Forcing people to grind rep simply so that they could spend their valor was again just a stupid stupid stupid idea.

    making the items more expensive will not remove that people would want to maximize what they get for their valor so they would still feel compelled to grind the rep, although some blizz rep would be able to hide behind the argument, "but you can still spend all your valor"...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Either of those would have helped the reception of rep gear. Alternatively, not requiring Golden Lotus Revered to unlock the other factions. So players can pick which one to do each stay instead of grinding GL for weeks.
    Yes, the double gating was indeed unnecessary. I hope Blizz doesn't feel that was a good idea and looks to impliment that next expac.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Either of those would have helped the reception of rep gear. Alternatively, not requiring Golden Lotus Revered to unlock the other factions. So players can pick which one to do each stay instead of grinding GL for weeks.

    Or better yet, not have made the change in the first place.
    I removed the statement because it didn't seem directly related to your VP stance, which also makes sense.

    And as much as I don't mind dailies, making Shado-Pan rep access dependent on GL progress was really not a player-friendly move. Nor was hiding fairly pertinent story quests behind dominance offensive rep.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Next time you guys log in, Blizzard should freeze your character, spawn your favourite mount and shoot it in the head. - Mormolyce

  8. #8
    your solution is alrite, but taxing people for not doing dailys isnt the solution. it should be 0% then -10 -20 -30 -40 -50% perhaps

    Id rather have something like a Master Rep vendor. this gear would unlock for gold after gaining enough rep with the vendor and by spending some valor. the gear would also be bind on account so you could gear up alts quickly. however, gear would be in pieces so you could get gloves at neutral, legs at friendly, wrists chests at honored, helm boots and shoulders at revered, and rings/trinkets and weapons at exalted. the vendor might require you to spend 1000 valor in order to unlock a key (or something) for each set gear to be worth it, but by the time you were done doing quests for him he will have all the gear available at no valor cost.. only a bit of gold. and your alts would be set in some acceptable gear for the current raids. you'd have to gain lots of rep with him by doing dailys. but atleast by being able to unlock pieces each week or so you would have less of a grind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •