Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What happens after World of Warcraft's last expansion?

Will they release Warcraft 4?
    Will Warcraft 4 become a bridge To World of Warcraft 2?

After WoW, will they stop making content?
    Will they stop polishing the game?
    Will monthly fees end?

I'm pretty sure after the spike, blizzard is ready to end World of Warcraft to start on something fresh and new.
    Is it possible a World of Diablo or World of Starcraft may come out?

Titan may finally be revealed at blizzcon?

What do you think will happen after World of Warcraft ends?
    My name is what makes me so manly.

Everquest 1 just released an expansion last fall.

That gives you an idea how long WoW will probably run for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think WoW's got plenty of gas in the tank yet. If they hold off on doing any of those things you mentioned while WoW's still active, we probably won't see them for another decade or so!

No reason they can't work on that stuff while WoW is still being developed. I'd like to see a Warcraft IV, have it do a big timeskip, like 500-800 years in the future. Lets them make a clean slate for new developments, while in WoW we steadily bridge the gap through expansions. Diablo and Starcraft were both being developed independently of WoW, as well as Titan and other titles, so they don't need to wait for WoW to end to work more with those franchises.

WoW2 after WoW ends, someday? Yeah, almost certainly... Let's see WCIV, V, and VI first though!

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    Everquest 1 just released an expansion last fall.

That gives you an idea how long WoW will probably run for.
    An empty game that still pumps out content?
    WoW Can't continue to keep pumping content the way the game is headed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creations View Post
    An empty game that still pumps out content?
    WoW Can't continue to keep pumping content the way the game is headed.
    But what about all the other MMO's that keeps pushing out expansions with about 100k players? Man... you're so retarded, I hate to say it no offense.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-05-09 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowz View Post
    But what about all the other MMO's that keeps pushing out expansions with about 100k players? Man... you're so retarded, I hate to say it no offense.
    Yes, but WoW is a game that also requires $15 a month.
    And yes, I am offended.

Deleted
    Probably when the game goes under a million they'll turn it into F2P and introduce a cash shop that also gives you game bonuses. They're probably already thinking, but will hold on. When this happens the playerbase will explode again, and the cash shop will help them flourish for a few more years.
    After even that starts to run out, Blizzard will say the development for the game will stop. As people leave 1 by 1, when the numbers of people playing the game will go under 100k or so, Blizzard will finally decide to pull the plug and shut down most servers (they might keep 1 PvE and 1 PvP server world-wide). Those will probably run until the next generation of computers/consoles comes and a new breakthrough in games is made, and player numbers will drop to under 10k. Then Blizzard will finally pull the plug on WoW, forever. And the last blades that held the last running servers will go into a museum.
    And WoW will go into oblivion. Forever. Except there will be a game museum somewhere, and it will be present there as one of the longest and more successful MMOs. But most kids will have never seen it and will consider it some crap game as we consider stuff made in the 1980's for example when in the 20?? they have augmented reality and holospace.

There might be a Warcraft 4 in the meantime, I truly hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Creations View Post
    Yes, but WoW is a game that also requires $15 a month.
    And yes, I am offended.
    I don't see your point, Rift doesn't have that many players, has a fee, yet still pushes content.

Deleted
    Okay I don't think you have to worry my friend. WoW is still with a majority the largest MMO out there, but you're correct if it'd continue to drop subs like it has this quarter, then it's not a good sign. But the fact is that at some point it will even out and stabilize with a 'specific' amount of players that is HERE to stay. Let's say after they lose subs to 5m it may go up 100k one quarter, and down 100k the other quarter.

I think you've already noticed that the devs has been spending more time with pumping out quality content this expansion after the loss of subs in Cataclysm. Maybe this is a wake up call for the devs that makes them make the GAME even better? Since WoW really has/had no competition it wasn't really trying that hard with the quality lately, but I think blizzard has realized that they need to put more attention to what they're doing now. If we're in bad luck, the WoW team will become smaller and we'll see slower content, OR we'll see an increase in quality & speed of content to increase the subs. Who knows.

Anyways, as everyone says the increase in F2P games is giant and of course that affects WoW in some ways. Especially in Asia(East) where this game model is the most popular, and that's also where the most of the sub loss came from. I think in the worst scenario WoW will eventually go F2P when they feel it's more profitable, and then it will definitely get a boost in players. That means they'll reach those who ain't ready to pay for a game, which is alot of people.

I don't want WoW to lose subs, but I hope it's a wake up call for the devs to start paying more attention. But the engine is a modified one from Warcraft 3, so old... they can't really update it more than to a certain point. It's hard to make fun content with such an old engine. And it'd require too much resources to build a new one, I think they focus all of that energy in making Titan a beast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowz View Post
    I don't want WoW to lose subs, but I hope it's a wake up call for the devs to start paying more attention. But the engine is a modified one from Warcraft 3, so old... they can't really update it more than to a certain point. It's hard to make fun content with such an old engine. And it'd require too much resources to build a new one, I think they focus all of that energy in making Titan a beast.
    I've been thinking of the engine, now that you mentioned it.
    They could make the Titan engine so it can use the WoW resources, then import the whole "game" into the Titan engine. Now, since I'm not a programmer, not sure if this would work, it's just something that crossed my mind now.

Deleted
    Warcraft 4. Doesn't matter if they make it the best game in history and blowjob level of enjoyment, people will bitch and moan until the forum servers burn to a crisp. By now warcraft is basicly on the same nostalgia level as vanilla WoW. So if it happen, it will basicly be Diablo 3 whining and bitching all over again.
    I don't think Blizz wants that.

Deleted
    They will make another one.

In reality it will take decades for WoW to die, even if blizzard has a new flagship game and wows playerbase drops down to ~1 million or less they will just release content much slower with a smaller team of people.

Just look at other 'obsolete' MMOs like FF11 and Everquest, still going.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

I hope they'll really slow down on WoW and complete the major story arcs rather quickly and then move on to continuing the bulk of the story in a FAR BETTER story-telling genre as an RTS again.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no last expansion, blizzard's been adding new characters and new lore every expansion. Garrosh wasn't introduced until TBC and he was just a quest giver. Now he's the end boss of MoP
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Quote Originally Posted by Warpaladin View Post
    There is no last expansion, blizzard's been adding new characters and new lore every expansion. Garrosh wasn't introduced until TBC and he was just a quest giver. Now he's the end boss of MoP
    Right, I'd say when they run out of stories they will just start making shit up, but they've already started making shit up and they haven't even exhausted the pre-existing lore yet.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Right, I'd say when they run out of stories they will just start making shit up, but they've already started making shit up and they haven't even exhausted the pre-existing lore yet.
    They can make up all the lore they want as long as it's good :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I don't see your point, Rift doesn't have that many players, has a fee, yet still pushes content.
    his/her point was to make yet another of these threads with nothing new at all, yet still get people to reply. which we have done.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    With how big the Warcraft universe is, I doubt there will be a last expansion.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    planning to release Warcraft 4 and World of Starcraft

Deleted
    when wow dies some day, the mmo market will die, online gaming will die and the internet will die.