1. #1

    10m Durumu--dealing with life drain

    I have full cleared ToT on my main in 25m, but my alt's 10m guild is struggling with Durumu. The biggest issue is dealing with life drain when it occurs during the color beam phase. We seem to always have someone die. We are currently 1 tanking and 3 healing the fight. How do you divide up people in beams, and who switches off life drain during this phase? Do you assign floaters for it, or just have people in the beam do it, or what? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Well on heroic we have 3 people per beam, and which ever beam gets the life drain in it, those 3 people deal with it. Just step in front and soak it at 3 stacks. Use things like aura mastery and rallying cry when it occurs to buffer the raid and allow healers to manage it.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorfion View Post
    Do you assign floaters for it
    Lol.

    Yes, we have our "floaters" taking the drain, sometimes it gets hairy, but that's what external cds are for.

  4. #4
    We tell the person who gets the beam animation to go out towards the edge of the platform, and then once the first stack shows up on dbm, we rotate the 3 healers through the beam, then our ranged rotate through next. All the range essentially line up and wait for their turn. This is just a play it by ear rotation with however people line up.

    The one that comes up during the add phase we just kinda play it by ear. Still healers are the priority to take the drain, and then any range as long as they arent holding the blue beam.

  5. #5
    We sort of wing it, whoever is closest to the guy who gets drained. If there's nobody close there's something else wrong entirely, and in that case we had some random melee take it or whoever was first to say "i'll get it". I haven't done Durumu10m normal in awhile, last time I did was 3 weeks ago or something and I was healing. We 2man heal and 2 man tanked it, possibly 1man tanked, I'm not sure. I don't think we ever have more than 3 people take a single beam.

    It helps if everyone is sortof vocal and initiatives are being taken. Contrary to 25man, which may be your issue, 10man is a lot more about what individual players do and decide to do and there's a lot less pre-planning possible, and less handholding (25man: "g1 takes beam, g2 3 4 5 ignore mechanics and nuke") too. If your players are incapable of daring to take decisions on a fly when they are needed, without being ordered to by RL, certain mechanics that require quick thinking and reaction, like life drain, may become a bit more complicated. Encourage your raiders to step up and speak up and do what is necessary, at the risk of making a wrong call every now and then. That's what will make a 10man raid succesful in the end, and it's also the most common issue a lot of 10man guilds struggle with: no initiative, too passive playing.

  6. #6
    the worst part is when a melee gets drain life and he is standing right under Durum(stupid with his large hitbox), so gets hit on the top of his head, its so damn hard to take the drain life off him.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    the worst part is when a melee gets drain life and he is standing right under Durum(stupid with his large hitbox), so gets hit on the top of his head, its so damn hard to take the drain life off him.
    Ye we call out for max melee range when it comes; you can literally be half way across the room and still hit him.

  8. #8
    You need just 3 people to take the beam comfortably. First person takes a few ticks then next, then last person. There is no need to assign some rigid order. Teach your raid to be vocal. For example:

    Person1: Beam on Me
    Person2: I'll take it off Person1
    Person3: I'll take it off Person2
    Done!

    If it goes on a tank/healer take it off them asap and add another person unless someone can pop a cd before taking it to take it a bit longer.

    As far as beams go, 1 person+1Healer plants in blue, tanks or tank+1dps take yellow. Rest take red. Nobody is going to die in the red beam if 1-2 step out to take the drain. We 2-heal 2-tank very comfortably

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    We sort of wing it, whoever is closest to the guy who gets drained. If there's nobody close there's something else wrong entirely, and in that case we had some random melee take it or whoever was first to say "i'll get it". I haven't done Durumu10m normal in awhile, last time I did was 3 weeks ago or something and I was healing. We 2man heal and 2 man tanked it, possibly 1man tanked, I'm not sure. I don't think we ever have more than 3 people take a single beam.

    It helps if everyone is sortof vocal and initiatives are being taken. Contrary to 25man, which may be your issue, 10man is a lot more about what individual players do and decide to do and there's a lot less pre-planning possible, and less handholding (25man: "g1 takes beam, g2 3 4 5 ignore mechanics and nuke") too. If your players are incapable of daring to take decisions on a fly when they are needed, without being ordered to by RL, certain mechanics that require quick thinking and reaction, like life drain, may become a bit more complicated. Encourage your raiders to step up and speak up and do what is necessary, at the risk of making a wrong call every now and then. That's what will make a 10man raid succesful in the end, and it's also the most common issue a lot of 10man guilds struggle with: no initiative, too passive playing.
    Are you guys using dispersions and sacs and stuff or just not caring about the 5-7% healing or so it does?

    (i really wish it couldnt be on healers during a light spectrum phase, and that healers didnt get red beam ;p)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by oggyowl View Post
    Are you guys using dispersions and sacs and stuff or just not caring about the 5-7% healing or so it does?

    (i really wish it couldnt be on healers during a light spectrum phase, and that healers didnt get red beam ;p)
    We don't really care tbh. Personal cooldowns is always a huge bonus while being lifedrained, so I can definitely recommend that, but other than that don't have specific sacs or whatever going for it. If it's a healer, make sure you free him ASAP. The faster you take care of red mobs, even if it's a healer who can barely heal as a result, the less damage and the less you have to deal with life drains in this phase. Make sure raidcooldowns get used at this point if that's an issue and you should be fine! Try to locate where the red guys will be before the beam spawns so you don't run around randomly too, it really helps speed things up.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    We don't really care tbh. Personal cooldowns is always a huge bonus while being lifedrained, so I can definitely recommend that, but other than that don't have specific sacs or whatever going for it. If it's a healer, make sure you free him ASAP. The faster you take care of red mobs, even if it's a healer who can barely heal as a result, the less damage and the less you have to deal with life drains in this phase. Make sure raidcooldowns get used at this point if that's an issue and you should be fine! Try to locate where the red guys will be before the beam spawns so you don't run around randomly too, it really helps speed things up.
    yeye we got ppl marking up the reds blue and and a yellow. currently using sacs n stuff on parasites although i've heard now that grounding totem works for them too \o/. should die tonight tbh; was just confirming you didn't use a rotation to minimise dmg taken/healing done by the life drains. heard some funky shit like using dispersions to cheese it so . ty!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •