Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
LastLast
  1. #101
    It's something that's too ingrained in the players by now. Just look at how people bitch and moan because they have to spend 2 days leveling without flying mounts at the start of an expansion.

  2. #102
    The answer is incentive world PVP. Not take away ways to avoid it.

  3. #103
    Bloodsail Admiral Baine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bluff
    Posts
    1,012
    No flying mounts? Over my dead body.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    The answer is incentive world PVP. Not take away ways to avoid it.
    If you need to bribe players, then that proves that something is horribly wrong with the community.

    It simply is not feasible to do any more with any sort of reward or incentives due to the inherently unbalanced nature of it.
    That is why battlegrounds are rewarding, and outdoor pvp is not.
    Because one is as close as we will get to balance, and the other has none.

  5. #105
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Axehandle View Post
    Most people find it very convenient and a small few point to it as one of the worst additions to the game. I'm talking about the world pvp killer, yes friends im talking about flying mounts. Now for those that want it gone I'd love to hear a reasonable explanation of how it could be removed without hurting certain parts of the game for example without flying it would've been impossible to do any of the Eye dungeons or TK. So please I am very curious to how the designers could remove flying entirely and I welcome your thoughts and opinions.
    the Answer is NO they cant, NO they wont, NO they shouldn't, and YES you should stop trying to campaign for it...

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

  6. #106
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,466
    jeez.. flying mounts are not in any way shape or form the "WPvP killer". lack of incentives are. there is no incentive to the other people who prefer flying to avoid gankers, to getting down and handling their business. give people a reason to fight and the fighting will ensue. we dont need to punish those who are not interested in the first place.

    problem solved. crying over.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

  7. #107
    No. The world is sized assuming that players have flying mounts and the speed and ability to go over things that goes with it.

    Let's think about this for like 15 seconds. How long would it take to get to Isle of Thunder from the cities? How long from there to Oondasta's island?

    What about the zones that require flying?

    They MIGHT be able to add a new expac area that is sized appropriately and leave flying elsewhere, however, given that flying mounts abound and that flying is one of the things that set WoW apart when it was introduced, it would be a huge mistake.

    Also, world PVP matters not in the slightest to the much larger number of players on PVE servers.

    TLDR: No

  8. #108
    Bloodsail Admiral DonQShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Guimaraes
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    No, they couldn't. Most of the game is now designed around time efficiency.

    The second the change dropped, people would be complaining that they spend more time traveling everywhere than they do playing the game.
    But I have to say, not that I disagree entirely, but what if everybody started walking again then everybody would start figthing each others again so that's what a pvp realm should be like right?

  9. #109
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,495
    like everyone here has already said, flying mounts didnt kill world pvp in any shape or form, all it did was give people easier access to the questing areas in the particular zone theyre in. people still run around on the ground in the area where their quests take them. most quests havent changed over the years, its still a bunch of kill X, gather Y quests. if you truly want to engage in wpvp hang out in those areas.

    i love pvping, its the main thing i look forward to in just about any game i play. sadly wpvp is generally the worst form of pvp. i actually played on a pve server but i was almost always flagged for pvp because i just came out of a bg or an arena and just never turned it off. people only engaged me when i was either low health or had 2 or 3 mobs beating on me.

    id also like to point out that wpvp wasnt dead in BC, in fact id wager a bet that on my server, more wpvp took place during BC than in vanilla. halaa, hellfire towers, zangarmarsh towers, and terrokar towers were always a hot point. just my opinion however

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 03:28 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    But I have to say, not that I disagree entirely, but what if everybody started walking again then everybody would start figthing each others again so that's what a pvp realm should be like right?
    maybe, maybe not. ive rolled alts on pvp realms where people would just run by me and not attack me or anything

  10. #110
    The Lightbringer Calzaeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kopervik, Norway
    Posts
    3,238
    The only way I can imagine that would even be close to possible ("close" is relative), would by having rental flying mounts.

    X [currency] = A flying mount for Y minutes. "Loaned" mounts for quests that require flying, Storm Peaks-style.

    It would suck hard. But it would also take into account zones made for flying, people couldn't just mount up willy-nilly to avoid wPvP, but they could simply avoid landing in the first place as well.

    Like I said, not a good solution, but the only one I can imagine being possible.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

  11. #111
    Looking back at all the debates of what did or didn't 'kill' wpvp makes me wonder...

    Do people really enjoy it? BGs (and later arena/rbgs) give a way to get the pvp gear and rewards much more efficiently than wpvp, and a lot of the wpvp dries up. They also provide a structured, relatively fair setup, at the very least balancing numbers if nothing else.

    Flying mounts come out, and it becomes easier to avoid wpvp when questing/farming. People could, in most areas, not use them at all, and only pull the flying mount out when they HAVE to fly to get somewhere. Yet everyone flies.

    Blizzard puts wpvp objectives out in the world at times, yet people don't seem to fight over them much.

    Which makes me wonder. Is there a significant playerbase that really does enjoy wpvp but needs to be given incentive to justify doing it? Or are those that actually enjoy WPvP just a minority that aren't willing to go out of there way to do it, and want it to just happen?

    All of that said, there are some realms that do have some healthy WPvP going on like Emerald Dream.

  12. #112
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Which makes me wonder. Is there a significant playerbase that really does enjoy wpvp but needs to be given incentive to justify doing it? Or are those that actually enjoy WPvP just a minority that aren't willing to go out of there way to do it, and want it to just happen?
    i think there is room for WPvP, just that it needs better rewards. something unique to itself. yes people want rewards for their daily activities. if you want this to flourish, a Halaa, or WPLagueland, type of thing isnt the way to go, mostly because its restricted to those zones. that is Zone PvP. world pvp needs to be something can has no restriction to zones but yet rewards the players who take part.

    add special titles/mounts/tmog gear.. paid for by currency only gathered by fighting in the world. and there we go. battles would erupt all over,

    as it is now, players are simply doing the things that offer them a reward and stopping to pvp is only slowing them down from getting those rewards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    i think there is room for WPvP, just that it needs better rewards. something unique to itself. yes people want rewards for their daily activities. if you want this to flourish, a Halaa, or WPLagueland, type of thing isnt the way to go, mostly because its restricted to those zones. that is Zone PvP. world pvp needs to be something can has no restriction to zones but yet rewards the players who take part.

    add special titles/mounts/tmog gear.. paid for by currency only gathered by fighting in the world. and there we go. battles would erupt all over,
    I know there are some people that legitimately do like WPvP. But I wonder more and more, just how big is that group? If people only do WPvP to get the rewards you mention, and then stop doing WPvP, are they doing it because they like wpvp or because they just want the rewards and that's the only way to get it>

  14. #114
    Your idea has been heard before, rejected for a raft of excellent reasons, and needs to be buried in the earth and forgotten.

  15. #115
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    I know there are some people that legitimately do like WPvP. But I wonder more and more, just how big is that group? If people only do WPvP to get the rewards you mention, and then stop doing WPvP, are they doing it because they like wpvp or because they just want the rewards and that's the only way to get it>
    yah its prolly a bit of both.. but adding in better rewards would help those that would just rather avoid it since it slows them down. i mean it seems the bigger issue is how to encourage WPvP? wouldnt the people that enjoy WPvP be happy if they had more people to fight? who cares why they fight...
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

  16. #116
    It's to late for that. It was to late a couple months after BC launch. Reworking the entirety of the game in order to remove flying mounts from it would probably take allot of time. And Blizzard has stated that players leave, then return later when new content is available. So i doubt Blizzard will gamble on ground mounts bringing back millions of players.

    Also, i have serious doubts removing flying mount would make the situation solve itself by a month or two. Since classic, Blizzard has made very drastic changes in the way PVP works. Changes that encourage BG pvp over open world PVP.
    MSI 7970 Lightning - i7-4770k custom watercooled - ASUS Z97I-PLUS - 16GB 1600MHZ Corsair - 500GB Samsung EVO SSD


  17. #117
    The tricky balance is to give people an incentive to WPvP, but not make WPvP feel mandatory in any way. And the fact that wpvp is inherently unfair and unbalance doesn't help things either. You can't make the rewards TOO good or people feel forced, even if they aren't, to do wpvp just like with dailies at MoP launch. Or you run the risk of exploits like the Tol'Barad win trading that was rampant for a while when capturing it on offense got you lots of points.

    In the end, the more I think about it, I think blizzard's current methodology is pretty much the best we can hope for. Give us reasons to be out in the world (gear vendors out in the world and not capital cities, conflicting daily quest hubs, rare spawns, world bosses etc) and let the players make the WPvP themselves.

  18. #118
    Yeah as has been said, flying mounts don't mean anything in regards to the decline of world PvP.

    The community simply no longer really has the desire to participate in it. It doesn't provide any rewards and in today's community that means it's not worth one's time.

  19. #119
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,274
    There is no way Blizzard can outright remove them at this point. They do however limit it more and more, with no flying zones and level restrictions. Of course this is Blizzard so you never really know.

  20. #120
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    Don't need ramps. As someone stated earlier, ropes and other means can be used to gain altitude. It works in other games. Attach to a rope, move vertically. GG.

    Flying is not necessary. Adding climbing ropes and ladders to get to cliffs and other high areas would force us to explore and actually experience the world instead of fly over it. People who fly from A to B to just get shit done don't really care about the game, they're just doing the grind they're addicted to or forced to do because of X reason.
    Indeed so your saying there not enjoying what there doing or are forced to do it... and your suggesting forcing them to take even longer doing it by removing flying mounts? How is that going to improve there game or even make them want to keep playing it.

    If I don't want to stop and look at the scenery (that I have seen 5-6 times before btw), the ONLY think removing flying mounts is going to do is annoy me to the point I do not want to play. You cannot force people to enjoy looking at the scenery, its a time sink and thats all lol

    And there are plently of times I've gone to look at something on a flying mount for an unusual scene or view that I would not have noticed on the ground.


    There are zero good reasons for removal of flying and many for the benefits it gives. If you don't like em don't use em its that simple.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •