Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Could blizzard really remove something this ingrained in WoW?

Most people find it very convenient and a small few point to it as one of the worst additions to the game. I'm talking about the world pvp killer, yes friends im talking about flying mounts. Now for those that want it gone I'd love to hear a reasonable explanation of how it could be removed without hurting certain parts of the game for example without flying it would've been impossible to do any of the Eye dungeons or TK. So please I am very curious to how the designers could remove flying entirely and I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

Those people at Blizzard just want you to believe that you need to fly. You could have climbed a rope to get up to those instances, or they could have a ramp built to ride up to them. Plenty of ways around them, but the corporate bigwigs and Blizzard just want you to think that you need to fly. It's all a trick to get you to spend your hard earned gold on some other unnecessary expense. We have seen this before, almost every holiday and everyday where people trick you into thinking you need more. I can't wait to expose all the other ways blizzard wants you to spend that hard earned cash - tricking you into thinking pets are needed, and resistance gear....

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they couldn't. Most of the game is now designed around time efficiency.

The second the change dropped, people would be complaining that they spend more time traveling everywhere than they do playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Axehandle View Post
    Most people find it very convenient and a small few point to it as one of the worst additions to the game. I'm talking about the world pvp killer, yes friends im talking about flying mounts. Now for those that want it gone I'd love to hear a reasonable explanation of how it could be removed without hurting certain parts of the game for example without flying it would've been impossible to do any of the Eye dungeons or TK. So please I am very curious to how the designers could remove flying entirely and I welcome your thoughts and opinions.
    Instead of arguing against the removal of flying mounts, I would argue for the addition of mounted combat. Then people can fly AND have world pvp, AND maybe for once, stop bitching about flying mounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more to do with the fact flying is more accessible than ever, people are making money more easily. Back in BC, World PvP was pretty common because Expert Riding wasn't affordable back then and Halaa also comes to mind, though it probably depended on server type. They've been trying to encourage more World PvP, just take a look at Isle of Thunder. You know why it's dying? Not as many people are interested in it nowadays, it's nothing to do with flying mounts because Blizzard has tried time and time again to revive it (Pandaria before 90 and Isle of Thunder)

You've been given ample opportunity to engage in World PvP thus far and still you're playing the "flying mount" card as being the reason for a reduction in World PvP, it's not the reason. Just accept that there's not enough interest for it anymore..
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-05-10 at 07:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to imagine the Cataclysm zones that were designed specifically for flying as a series of ramps. It's quite hilarious.

It's one of those things that no matter what they do people will complain about. Better to leave it like it is and have the already-angry stay that way instead of pissing off a whole new group of people for no good reason. And if anyone hasn't noticed the recent kerfluffle over CRZ, there are a lot of people who aren't particularly interested in world PVP. Those that are should be on PVP servers. Those that aren't shouldn't be (on PVP servers).
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-05-10 at 06:54 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Rather have them remove teleport to dungeons/raids/battleground than flying mounts. Mounted combat could be enjoyable in theory also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flying is not a problem in WoW.

I have several cool and awesome flying mounts, and I don't want them taken away because someone mistakenly thinks that "everything will be solved" if you can no longer fly. World PvP wont return. People that PvP will stick to avenues which actually provide rewards, like battlegrounds and arenas, regardless of whether flying mounts are removed. Server imbalances are too large on PvP servers to warrant "true" PvP beyond "repeated ganking."

Requiring max level to use a flying mount in an expansion continent, or having specific zones in which flying mounts don't work (like Wintergrasp during battles,) is fine.

But to completely remove flying mounts is just a stupid idea.

Now, I'm not insulting you as a person.

I just wish to destroy this incorrect assumption regarding flying mounts so thoroughly; so utterly, that blizzard will not incorrectly listen to it and implement it in some way.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Its not happening.

Stop wishing.

Stop asking.

Go about your day.

Not everyone wants to world pvp. The only people these days who world pvp are the gankers.

They couldn't removing flying completely but they could easily go back and restrict you from doing so in zones where it is not necessary.
    Though I think they would lose 3 million or more subscribers by doing so.

I would be happy if they just went back and made it so you couldn't fly in any zone that housed a capital city (including the city itself)

Who gives a shit. People who actually like world pvp can still world pvp. Go attack an opposite faction quest hub/town and you'll find other people who want to world pvp. And if nobody shows up, guess what, its because such a small number of people play the game for the world pvp that it isn't worth changing anything.

I think adding a fatigue bar to your flying mount would be a simple, sufficient, and great idea.

One "bar" should take you ~across one zone maybe, and it would reset if spending time on the ground, equivalent to the time spent mining a couple of nodes (or up to 10 sec).

Expanding on the mounted combat idea. I think it would be great to have flying mounts and ground mounts each with a specific set of abilities that scale based on the target you are attacking, so that lvl 90s are at risk should they go after a lvl 60 on its flyer. It would only need ot be like 4 or 5 abilities. Simple, yet fun, and everyone has a fighting chance regardless of level.

10+ Year Old Account
    It simply isn't the right solution.

Many people, myself, included, worked hard to acquire their mounts (I'm closing in on 200) and to have around 65% of them removed - simply because a small portion of players cry that they ruin the game - would incense me greatly. Those of you who dislike flight mounts so much don't have to use them.

Take me for example... I loathe PvP. I think it poisons the game. It encourages griefing, childish bickering/behavior (OMG U SCRUBZ U SUCK WTF etc) and PvE is constantly at its mercy - I play warrior/hunter, who have been battered with nerfs which stem from PvP.

Even though I feel I could argue a strong, strong case for removing PvP from WoW altogether.... I wouldn't. And do you know why not? Because I know some people, many people in fact, love to PvP and it really isn't fair of me to try and shove my attitude about it down those peoples' throats. I don't like it so I don't do it. But I don't think its realistic of me to say 'hey blizz, i personally do not like pvp so it should be removed mkay'.

So, IMO, all the people who whine about flight mounts 'ruining the game' should kindly shut the hell up.

Deleted
    They could change how flying works, for example when you mount, you have 3 sec where you can't lift up, you just run, then you lift up at a reduced speed for another 3-5 sec, then you go full speed... sort of like how it should work! Overall, I think flying mounts should be a bit harder (clumsier if you will), and used only for traveling far away, not to get to the next mob pack.
    And what Mirishka said!

I play on a PvP server, and it's fun to see how none of your ideas would work. Why? Because people don't give a fuck about world pvp.
    Ile of thunder got an equal amount of hordes and alliance questing and hunting for nalak. and rares and what not.
    Nobody cares to touch each other, because they just want to be done with their dailies and weekly rare/nalak kill.

PvP belongs to the battlegrounds and arenas.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

10+ Year Old Account
    They couldn't, easy as that. Tempest Keep is not a good example of what couldn't be done, they wouldn't have put them in the way they did if flyng didn't exist in the first place. All they can do is continue to restrict it, as they've done with thunder island, the giant island, and various other places where they've not restricted your right to be able to fly. I don't believe they should remove it, it's already in, stop restricting us and LET US FLY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Axehandle View Post
    Most people find it very convenient and a small few point to it as one of the worst additions to the game. I'm talking about the world pvp killer, yes friends im talking about flying mounts.
    Well, let's see, most of the WoW population is on PvE servers, and the rest is on lopsided PvP servers.

So, I'm going out on a limb here, there might be .3 percent of the population that really wants flying mounts taken away.

World PVP has little to no presense on most realms because the rewards compared to BGs also has no presense.
    I can't tell you who I am, but I can tell you who I'm not.

Probably too late, it's hard to remove someone that people have become so accustomed to.