Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I think as OS windows 7 more more user friendly than windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by oliviasmith1317 View Post
    I think as OS windows 7 more more user friendly than windows 8.
    I think the opposite. Windows 7 is easier for long-time Windows-users though.

Deleted
    And what about gaming performance? I've done a lot of googling, and the consensus is that win7 comes out on top.

15+ Year Old Account
    while I do have windows 8 myself and by now I got quite used to it, and even while I don't agree with 100% of what this guy says...

I recommend everyone to watch this video and think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    And what about gaming performance? I've done a lot of googling, and the consensus is that win7 comes out on top.
    I think in pure FPS, Windows 8 isn't necessarily more than a few % ahead, it seems to have helped minimum FPS greatly. Which is a bigger thing than 76->80 average fps, or the other way around in some cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you get used to windows 8, it is much better than windows 7.

The main problem with windows 8 is first impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    The main problem with windows 8 is first impressions.
    I still am not impressed by the search function and what I've heard about dual booting. Otherwise liking it, et c.

I hate 8 on anything without a touchscreen, personally. Great on phones or tablets, however. Why would I go through hoops to make my os look like win 7 when I can just use win7? My computer is a beast anyway, there is no noticeable difference in performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    while I do have windows 8 myself and by now I got quite used to it, and even while I don't agree with 100% of what this guy says...

I recommend everyone to watch this video and think about it

<snip>
    i've seen this video, and it's pretty off base, if you look at Gnome3, which is considered THE desktop UI to have for the PC, (or KDE and Unity) it has practically all the same issues as Metro

so anyone who wants to claim that KDE, Gnome3, or Unity are good, while complaining about Metro is just a hypocrite, and should not be given any credit

I've been using Windows 8 since launch, and after getting used to the changes I'm pretty much fine with it. If you are running Win7 already, I dont think there's any point upgrading though, because in a basic desktop environment (as in a basic keyboard + mouse) and setup you aren't really getting anything worthwhile. In my experience the whole Metro side UI is pretty pointless for a traditional mouse & keyboard setup.

Some people were asking about game performance in this thread: The differences between Win7 and Win8 are negligible in the majority of the cases, so that shouldn't be a deciding factor in either way really. Some of the AMD's Bulldozer/Piledriver based CPUs work a tad bit better in Win8 because of the new task scheduler, but even there the differences are rather small.

If I have some complaints about Win8, its mostly the missing start menu. For example: I install a game that has a separate setup tool that I have to run outside the game's executable. I have to use the metro search tool or go start it in the game's installation folder, which kind of sucks. In the traditional start menu all the necessary shortcuts were always in the folder in the start menu - so thats something I'd like to have back
    I always thought it was a bit of an odd reason for removing it in the first place - Microsoft said "pretty much nobody used it". At least I used it....Maybe I am in the minority?

Anyway, if you are going for a new PC - there's no reason you should avoid Win 8. I think its the best Windows up to date, but there is a little bit of getting used to at first.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightgloom View Post
    I always thought it was a bit of an odd reason for removing it in the first place - Microsoft said "pretty much nobody used it". At least I used it....Maybe I am in the minority?
    The real reason of course was to force people into using the metro screen, hoping that they'll get used to it and then buy a win 8 tablet (over an ipad) because they are familiar with the interface.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with Windows 8. I have been using Windows 8 Pro for a while now and have installed Stardock's Start8. I boot directly into Desktop and I have a start menu/button. Windows 8 has superior memory handling and a great Task Manager. Yes I know Start8 isn't Free, but it's only $5 and worth every cent.

Now Windows 8.1 is rumored to be bringing the start button back natively. IMHO, just leave Windows 7 in the past and jump on Window 8 and use either Start8 or Classic Shell UI.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.