Thread: Horridon HC

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Horridon HC

My raid used to lack bl, so I was 100% bm, now switching to sv for some fights thanks to one lovely mage (and just in time, this boss is not fun as bm).
    Armoury link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Oswin/advanced
    Some failed attempts: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6yfo50ysiyymwx9f/
    The low numbers at start are due to me not using explosive trap, going up to 130k now which is ridiculously low for my gear.

Questions (all regarding the ads part, up to after the last door):

Is it ever a dps gain to use black arrow instead of trap, since at some point the fight boils down to single targetting the prio ads
    Crows, lynx, or blink strike? I'm just going to assume blink strikes in 5.3, but for now?
    Explosive shot on cd or multishot at 2+ ads?
    Should I delay barrage until 2+ ads
    Pet on assist with all the running about?
    Reforging? I've read mastery under another topic, I'm at 40% unbuffed, should I switch to crit/haste at some point?

Any tips appreciated.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm raiding 25-man for reference, dunno how much difference there is in the fight.

Is it ever a dps gain to use black arrow instead of trap, since at some point the fight boils down to single targetting the prio ads
    We slowly move away from doors with the adds, meaning any explosive trap will often get left behind hitting nothing. If the explosive trap is gonna hit say 3+ adds for a fair amount of time, I'd definitely say do it. Personally I'd estimate I use 0-3 explosive traps for the whole fight, rest black arrow.
    Crows, lynx, or blink strike? I'm just going to assume blink strikes in 5.3, but for now?
    Crows. Mostly used on Horridon, and the occasional tough add with a lot of hp that needs to die asap, and will take the full 30 sec duration. Frozen Warlords come to mind.
    Explosive shot on cd or multishot at 2+ ads?
    In my experience there are always strong targets with a lot of HP. Keep ES on cooldown.
    Should I delay barrage until 2+ ads
    Definitely. I usually only barrage when there's 4 or more targets up (including Horridon). I will often delay it a bit waiting for specific spawns to arrive.
    Pet on assist with all the running about?
    I use a Tallstrider, which should definitely be on the adds to help keep armor debuff up. If you use a normal buff pet, I think leaving it on Horridon is perfectly ok. Overall I don't think it matters that much though, it's not like the adds are running all over the place. Pet uptime should be close to max regardless.
    Reforging? I've read mastery under another topic, I'm at 40% unbuffed, should I switch to crit/haste at some point?
    I think Crit/mastery might be the best option for the fight (and it happens to be what I'm using due to low amount of RPPM-based gear), but don't think it's a huge deal either way. AoE dmg is very important for doors, and single target dmg is very important for last phase.

If you don't need any buff like crit or spell haste, keep a tallstrider on the adds. I need to use a wolf and therefore use it passively on the boss the whole fight.

Barrage is great to push the dino away - don't forget snake trap too!

dont forget to use snake trap glyph as any and all aoe will kill your snakes otherwise (swipe, shouts and what not).

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a further general advice: Remember when shit gets real at the 3rd gate you could distracting shot -> deterrence a warlord to take a bit pressure off of your add tank. Just remember to tell him before the pull and don't FD to lose aggro. That is if your raid does a reasonable job at burning down adds and they can deal with your missing damage.
    Captain Endriel and his fearsome crew!

Why are people suggesting crows, when lynx helps you get through gates which is the main part of the fight? Lynx is not that much less and easier to use as it does't have a focus cost. Also grab barrage and learn to use it. It will help you pust the dino back without any effort.

Hi there,

Horridon is my favorite fight. There's a lot of neat things you can do to up your damage and control.

Survival
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7x...?s=2674&e=3339

BM
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7l...?s=3380&e=4042

Here's what my strategy is for this fight:

Spec into lower deterrence CD. If your healers are struggling, deterring dire calls could help a lot.
    Choose between Binding Shot and Silencing Shot. If your raid is good on interrupts, go with binding shot; if venomancers/dinomancers are getting casts off, go for silencing shot.
    Spec into Thrill of the Hunt. This may lower your DPS in the final phase, but it'll give you cheap multi-shots and free arcane shots if your spirit gets too close.
    Spec into Barrage. Glaive Toss may work better, but I don't think it's reliable enough when adds are spread out.
    I use AMoC for the single-target boost in the last phase, but it's not particularly important.

For the actual fight:

Keep dots up on all adds with MS if SV. Pretty much spam MS whenever there's more than 2 adds up (read: almost all the time). Unload your single-target abilities (KC, ES) on high-priority targets. Interrupt/stun when it seems like a good idea.

One thing I found out is that using snake trap to deal with the direhorn spirit is super OP for all specs. If you place it correctly and the spirit pops the trap, the snakes will chase after it for FIFTEEN seconds, knocking it back the entire time. By the time it gets back, it'll definitely be off CD again.

Until the final phase, always use explosive trap. This is an AoE fight through-and-through until the last phase.

In the last phase, just switch to a normal single-target rotation, making sure to use snake traps to keep your add away.

The last major decision you need to make will be when to use readiness/stampede. Since your DPS is low, you will probably greatly exceed 10 minutes, so you could theoretically use readiness three times, and this would be a DPS gain; however, there may be specific parts of the fight you're struggling with, which may require you to save it so you only use it twice. If you use it at the start, it will probably be up by the middle of the frost door, and again **after** Jalak is dead.

EDIT: Oh, and one last thing. I keep my pet on assist. If you're SV, it might be okay to leave it on Horridon, though it's a bit greedy.
    Last edited by HonneurVilified; 2013-05-11 at 09:40 PM.

If you don't need tallstrider armor debuff on adds. Then I would recommend making a macro like:

/target Direhorn Spirit
    /petattack
    /targetlasttarget

What I usually do is have my pet attack it until it de-spawns my pet because it's too far away and then just call it back out (which also gets rid of the pet run time to go back to attacking adds or boss) By doing this you can max your up-time on elites. Also Barrage + ToTH + LR, I find it to be great help on gates. Horridon isn't to hard to burn down so the dps loss on him is OK because you can make up for it by doing more on gates. Also, Detering Direcall is an awesome idea ( not sure why I didn't try that but I will be)

Quote Originally Posted by Wipeanrunbak View Post
    If you don't need tallstrider armor debuff on adds. Then I would recommend making a macro like:

/target Direhorn Spirit
    /petattack
    /targetlasttarget

What I usually do is have my pet attack it until it de-spawns my pet because it's too far away and then just call it back out (which also gets rid of the pet run time to go back to attacking adds or boss) By doing this you can max your up-time on elites. Also Barrage + ToTH + LR, I find it to be great help on gates. Horridon isn't to hard to burn down so the dps loss on him is OK because you can make up for it by doing more on gates. Also, Detering Direcall is an awesome idea ( not sure why I didn't try that but I will be)
    You are losing all that pet dmg for nothing, when you can use a simple snake trap or arrange the direhorn spirit to take aoe damage from barrage or MS. If he is dangerously close, 2-3 arcane shots then aoe all over again/snake trap).

I'm SV so pet doesn't do a very large amount of dmg compared to BM. However I do understand that snake trap is good for handling direhorn (I will actually be trying this on our next run) I was simply suggesting an easy way to handle direhorn, as we usually pin the elites to wall meaning the direhorn is behind me thus, I would have to stop dpsing the elites turn around and shoot the direhorn then back around and hit the elites me losing up time on elites out weighs my pet losing up time.

I'm SV so pet doesn't do a very large amount of dmg compared to BM. However I do understand that snake trap is good for handling direhorn (I will actually be trying this on our next run) I was simply suggesting an easy way to handle direhorn, as we usually pin the elites to wall meaning the direhorn is behind me thus, I would have to stop dpsing the elites turn around and shoot the direhorn then back around and hit the elites me losing up time on elites out weighs my pet losing up time.
    My pet has done ~18% of my damage during one of the longer attempts (~33%), and I'm not leaving it on the boss full time. Thats a lot of damage wasted if you send it on the direhorn. I wouldn't suggest it.
    Last edited by Telanu; 2013-05-12 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aletuna View Post
    My pet has done ~18% of my damage during one of the longer attempts (~33%), and I'm not leaving it on the boss full time. Thats a lot of damage wasted if you send it on the direhorn. I wouldn't suggest it.
    I would like to see logs there is no way your pet does that much dmg as SV.

Edit* not on adds atleast
    Last edited by Wipeanrunbak; 2013-05-12 at 03:57 PM.

I often see ppl use arcane shot for the direhorn (beside snake trap/AoE) and I'd like to point out that Serpent sting does the same knockback and cost only 15 focus compared to AS 20 focus

Quote Originally Posted by shanattah View Post
    I often see ppl use arcane shot for the direhorn (beside snake trap/AoE) and I'd like to point out that Serpent sting does the same knockback and cost only 15 focus compared to AS 20 focus
    Does it knock it back for each tick? If so that sounds pretty cool.

Deleted
    no, dots only knock the spirit back one time on application... probably not usefull as BM hunter since pets give so big part of your damage.

As a frost mage myself, sicking my pet on it really works well.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 04:08 PM ----------

the advantage of using dot abilities ( not sure if this applies to hunters too) is you dont need to face your target at the time of shooting/casting.
    Since a lot of the time the direhorn is trailing you and the adds you want to be dpsing are going to be in front of you.

I would like to see logs there is no way your pet does that much dmg as SV.

Edit* not on adds atleast
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...?s=7384&e=8078

113.475.067 by me
    20.158.523 by my pet

So Pet%: 17,76(...)%

Pet damage on boss: 69,2%
    My damage on boss: 65,9%
    I think the running arround is enough to explain the 3,3% difference.
    Last edited by Telanu; 2013-05-12 at 05:13 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post

the advantage of using dot abilities ( not sure if this applies to hunters too) is you dont need to face your target at the time of shooting/casting.
    Unfortunately we always have to be facing our target to get any shots off.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...?s=7384&e=8078

113.475.067 by me
    20.158.523 by my pet

So Pet%: 17,76(...)%

Pet damage on boss: 69,2%
    My damage on boss: 65,9%
    I think the running arround is enough to explain the 3,3% difference.
    That seems to include Stampede, which is a fair bit. Still sounds high though.

That seems to include Stampede, which is a fair bit.
    True, didnt think of that. But even if its like 10% it would still be a massive waste of damage. I've also looked through some ranked logs, and the pets of them did 14-16% most of the time, but I didnt check the boss damage % because I'm lazy .
    Last edited by Telanu; 2013-05-12 at 05:49 PM.

True, didnt think of that. But even if its like 10% it would still be a massive waste of damage. I've also looked through some ranked logs, and the pets of them did 14-16% most of the time, but I didnt check the boss damage % because I'm lazy .
    Yea it is hard to get accurate information from ranked people as to rank some do things like hit boss full time or other such dastardly things.

Also, with pet dmg you should filter out any dmg on boss and stampede to get a better handle on how much the pet does against elites, which should be closer to 8-10% as SV.
    Last edited by Wipeanrunbak; 2013-05-12 at 06:29 PM.

Why exactly would you filter out boss damage entirely? Boss damage is also lost if you send it on the direhorn for a large amount of the time. Did I miss something? I thought we were talking about overall damage. 8-10% is still more than a few macroed AS's (or SS as someone suggested) or snaketraps/clever positioning for MS/Barrage.