Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

MMO Gamer Thoughts f2p vs Sub

Its something I've noticed for the longest time, but what the hell is with a large portion of mmo gamers that always want every mmo game either out or coming out to be free? Talk about being f'ing welfare if you ask me. These developers work tirelessly for months or years on creating a completely open and always online experience and you want it free? I suppose every game developer should just give you their game and hope and pray you will give them some charity for their work.

Of all the genres mmo gamers are the most welfare in attitude. They want to avoid a sub cost at ANY cost as with a box price if need be, just like someone pirating games, think they have a right to have it all for nothing and just 'pay when they think the developer deserves my support' kind of mentality.

Its also ironic that in the same breath, these very same people will complain and cry over the complete full frontal monetisation of nearly every aspect of their said 'free game' and never piece the dots together as to why its suddenly become pay 2 win?

With upcoming games like Final Fantasy 14 ARR, ArcheAge and Wildstar, I'd happily pay a sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    I give this thread 5 post before it becomes a full fledged flame war or get shut down.

You're on my ignore list, I wonder why loooool.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-10 at 01:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let the flames begin!

15+ Year Old Account
    I would say that if it has a monthly subscription that even those good singleplayer games will compete with the MMO because they only cost a one time fee.

Deleted
    I don't want MMO's to be free. I dislike everything free. Free=/=quality - that's how it was and always will be. That's why I always look for games that require subscription fee.

I don't mind if the game isn't free but a company shouldn't be charging me $50 for a game Disk I cannot use without a monthly investment.
    So yeah Either charge me to purchase the game and don't require a subscription fee or charge me a subscription but don't require me to buy the game.

I mean the movie industry does not charge me to buy a movie then expect me to pay a fee every time I view it.
    (though they would be much more profitable if they switched to digital distribution and simply charged $1-2 per view)

That's a pretty broad sweeping stroke for a large portion of MMO gamers that want stuff to be free upon release. I don't know any of my friends that would want WoW for free, or GW2 to be anything but what it is, and even some whom would happily pay a sub for the content. Even friends who play SW:TOR like the way it's set up with a sub base or use of a micro-transaction part of the game.

I think you probably meant that most MMO gamers want MMOs to either be amazing and worthy of a sub (such as WoW, or SW:ToR, or GW2 (and yes I use the words "amazing" and "worthy of a sub" for both SW:ToR and GW2 in my own mind)) or to be free of a sub once the game is purchased, Pay to Play model, such like GW2 is currently, if you don't mind not doing micro-transactions.

Aveline's amazing work!

If you can get something for free why pay for it? This goes even deeper to show you how greedy humans are as a race, if they can get something for free you can be sure they will do their best in their ability to get it for free. This is the reason why f2p are extremely popular, because everyone likes free stuff let alone free games.

Deleted
    Isn't it true that WoW would still be massively profitable without a sub fee?

People just don't want to be ripped off any longer, except those that pay $40 for in-game pets and mounts in beta p2w games of course.
    Last edited by mmocca70d558a3; 2013-05-10 at 11:08 AM.

Maybe because we feel sub fees are a thing of the past? What is the reason behind them, high server cost? Ya 10 years ago that was the reason but not any more. For free content? Sure but what if you do not want that content, for example what if it is a dungeon pack but all you care about is pvp?

Honestly most of us (I think anyway) just want to have a one time purchase for a game, is that so much to ask? They have no real reason to charge a sub fee when there are many other options they can give us.

Really I don't think we care about F2p or B2p, we just don't want the out dated model of a sub fee

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    If you can get something for free why pay for it? This goes even deeper to show you how greedy humans are as a race, if they can get something for free you can be sure they will do their best in their ability to get it for free. This is the reason why f2p are extremely popular, because everyone likes free stuff let alone free games.
    that's pretty much it. they forget though people are actually doing this for a living, but the little sweaty basement dwelling sacks of poo don't care, they just want it FREE WAA WAA like they have some god given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    That's not entirely true. Like Soulus said above. I also don't like my MMO's to be free. Look at the abomination that was once SWTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    That's a pretty broad sweeping stroke for a large portion of MMO gamers that want stuff to be free upon release. I don't know any of my friends that would want WoW for free, or GW2 to be anything but what it is, and even some whom would happily pay a sub for the content. Even friends who play SW:TOR like the way it's set up with a sub base or use of a micro-transaction part of the game.

I think you probably meant that most MMO gamers want MMOs to either be amazing and worthy of a sub (such as WoW, or SW:ToR, or GW2 (and yes I use the words "amazing" and "worthy of a sub" for both SW:ToR and GW2 in my own mind)) or to be free of a sub once the game is purchased, Pay to Play model, such like GW2 is currently, if you don't mind not doing micro-transactions.
    we must have played 2 different games.. SWTOR was anything but amazing, i honestly cant imagine it's got any better either considering how hard they locked it down with the freemium model they give you... Aion, GW2, TERA, Neverwtiner... those are decent free to play models... SWTOR is a terrible game with a terrible model

Whats wrong with buying a game then playing it for free?

Quote Originally Posted by ManglolSA View Post
    Whats wrong with buying a game then playing it for free?
    because unlike either single player games or games with added on multiplayer like CoD as an example, an mmo is always online. they need 2 things, to constantly keep the player engaged by having content available and to have enough revenue to be able to bring that content and keep the power on. servers might be cheap, but BANDWIDTH aint.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    that's pretty much it. they forget though people are actually doing this for a living, but the little sweaty basement dwelling sacks of poo don't care, they just want it FREE WAA WAA like they have some god given right.
    i think you think that programmers in companies like blizzard get paid some astronomical amount... even if WoW was free to play they could afford to keep as many servers as they have open, as many team members working on the game as they currently have and still remain extremely profitable, releasing new pets, mounts, companions etc... that can be purchased just like they do now, as well as the account keeping fees for transferring toons, renames etc... that a lot of games already do for free anyway.

well the problem with mmo is that most of them sucks.(content wise). did you see the nexus raid from tera. from what i see its 4 rooms with bosses in it. and mostly looked like a zergfest. nw online. so far every boss fight i have seen from either low level dungeon or hardmode dungeons its basicly boss put up a red circle you need to move out. and he summons adds. and thats about it. and if people where not happy to a sub why are there still 8,4m active account on wow?

and a large portion? do you really think the one on the forum are a large portion? blizzard alrdy said that like 10% of the players take the time to come to the forum. and from that 10% maybe 50% complains about it. so basicly its a very small portion of the players that want it for free. and you always have cheap asses who want everyting for free. its not bound to the mmo player. but more like humans in general

It's pretty understandable actually. You invest a lot of time into characters that are not yours, that you have no access to the second you stop paying the developer fees and for what. So developer can make new content in the game ? They usually only make vague promisses what they want to do, but no guarantees or regular updates ... and when expansion hits they charge you for it separately. Put together it's one big finger to players. One that used to make sense when expenses with running MMO were high, but nowdays it's just a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    You're on my ignore list, I wonder why loooool.
    Yeah ... you are not alone

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    because unlike either single player games or games with added on multiplayer like CoD as an example, an mmo is always online. they need 2 things, to constantly keep the player engaged by having content available and to have enough revenue to be able to bring that content and keep the power on. servers might be cheap, but BANDWIDTH aint.
    i guess you havent heard of aion, which has had it's biggest content patches injected into the game including new classes etc... after going free, for some reason i think you feel it costs a fortune to run a team developing content... it doesnt.