View Poll Results: Legacy Realms

Voters
1055. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not Subscribed - Would come back to Vanilla realm

    45 4.27%
  • Not Subscribed - Would come back to BC realm

    67 6.35%
  • Not Subscribed - Would come back to WOTLK realm

    30 2.84%
  • Not Subscribed - Would come back to CATA realm

    1 0.09%
  • Not Subscribed - Would not come back for any legacy realm

    78 7.39%
  • Subscribed - Would switch to Vanilla realm

    56 5.31%
  • Subscribed - Would switch to BC realm

    99 9.38%
  • Subscribed - Would switch to WOTLK realm

    68 6.45%
  • Subscribed - Would switch to CATA realm

    5 0.47%
  • Subscribed - Would not switch to any legacy realm

    606 57.44%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Well if there was only ONE big Classic, ONE big TBC and ONE big Wotlk Realm i would probably give it a try. Without any Xrealm features i could imagine a nice community to form. Maybe even just ONE Classic realm... its not a long time since woltk and you can basically still experience the whole content in MoP.
    I personally really miss the old 1-60 zones, maybe pure nostalgia but i would level a char just to see it again. So much good memories.

    Generally blizzard needs to reform their realms... 80% of servers are basically dead, there isn't a difference between PVP and PVE realms anymore etc...

  2. #42
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    1,408
    Same as blizzard's and the majority of players.

    No need.

  3. #43
    Though it might get old, I think a kind of "gated" progress would be cool. As in, you can start out on a vanilla realm and complete the raid content until you're bored with it, then move on to a BC realm and continue that way all the way to current.

    I just think that would be nice for people who joined late to experience old content. The game would have to be balanced differently in each server. I mean yeah, you can raid old content now, but you only need like 1/3rd a raid since the game is balanced totally differently at those levels.

    However, I would pay to play on legacy realms. I don't know how long, but how much can it possibly cost them to maintain? They don't even have to release updates for it.

  4. #44
    If they ever add old expansion realms then it's the day I quit.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

  5. #45
    Legendary! True Anarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shadowlag Valley
    Posts
    6,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    If they ever add old expansion realms then it's the day I quit.
    There are already old expansion servers ... How does it affect you?
    "Civilized men and bloody giants."

  6. #46
    Where is the "I would stop to play cause it would shatter the community and servs would all become ghost towns" option ?

    + It would take more work to Blizz to handle all expansions together, they would have to keep equilibrating the game at 5 different levels.
    Last edited by Kuragalolz; 2013-05-13 at 07:03 AM.
    Requests : Open | Deviantart

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Well if there was only ONE big Classic, ONE big TBC and ONE big Wotlk Realm i would probably give it a try. Without any Xrealm features i could imagine a nice community to form. Maybe even just ONE Classic realm... its not a long time since woltk and you can basically still experience the whole content in MoP.
    I personally really miss the old 1-60 zones, maybe pure nostalgia but i would level a char just to see it again. So much good memories.
    Agreed - I'm not going to "switch" to a legacy realm but I'd maintain toons on Vanilla & BC realms just to muck around and have fun with content that's not relevant to the live game. The old content is still fun, and a lot of new players haven't experienced it, so it would be new to them. It's just not the same kind of game experience you get in the live game, for better or for worse it's just...different.
    At the same time, I can see where Blizzard as a company wouldn't want to support multiple versions of their product. There are a number of private servers out there, some of them offer Blizz-like game experience very close to the original game, and from what I hear they have a steady player base. I think there is a place for Vanilla or BC (or Wrath) servers, as long as there is interest out there...but maybe it's better that Blizzard is not involved in the effort to keep the older versions of the game alive.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    If they ever add old expansion realms then it's the day I quit.
    Why? Do you hate preCata/MoP WoW so much? What would it change for you, if some people would get access to it again?
    First of all, it's a waste of time and resources that could be better spend on future stuff.
    I, alone, configured home server in couple hours. Then never touched configuring it at all. I don't see how it can be a waste of time and resources, but I am spoiled by having nice IT-friends and knowledge about how it works, so argument "it's a waste of time and resources" looks like ROFLMAO to me.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-05-13 at 07:04 AM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    There are already old expansion servers ... How does it affect you?
    Those are private servers that are not supported by Blizzard.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

  10. #50
    Think only ting atm thats wrong is the time it takes to maxout lvl is way to fast.if you had option to do it the old way then you would get so many more
    ppl to play the game. With old way i mean ofc ppl had comeplete Vanilla to get to play BC, and comeplete BC to play Wotlk ,you get the picture.
    And yes no BOOSTING. After you finish Vanilla you get transfar to a BC realm and when you finish BC you get transfar to a Wotlk ream.
    And yes blizzard every time ppl needed a transfar ofc you can charge them 20euro or someting like that.
    This way ppl would get to se all the fun stuff.not just hear it from ppl like me that have played the game since vanilla.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    No need.
    Plenty of people disagree. Just like there's a need for LFR, Normal and Heroic to support different styles of raiding. Legacy servers are just a different style of gameplay that focuses on a different aspect of the game. The fact that Blizzard "officially" pooh pooh's the notion of legacy servers doesn't mean they shouldn't exist, as long as there's a demand for them.

  12. #52
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vineland, Cumberland, NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,600
    Perhaps only one for each non-current expasion?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Liebchen View Post
    Well if there was only ONE big Classic, ONE big TBC and ONE big Wotlk Realm i would probably give it a try.
    This is what I'd like to see.

    Picking which specific patch to go with would be more difficult, but in general I would go with the last patch before the pre-expansion "X.0" patch.

  14. #54
    Moderator Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    7,499
    Subscribed - Would not switch

    If Blizzard made legacy realms, I might make an alt on the BC servers to see where all the "BC was the best expansion" hubbub comes from, but I'd keep my main attention on current WoW.

  15. #55
    I don't understand why people are so much against it, in every other game genre, you can play almost whatever version you want (And easily play each expansion).

    Lets look at some of blizzard titles.

    I can go play Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos whenever I want to, yet Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne is already out?

    How about we turn this a bit away from Blizzard, let's look at Counter-strike, now I'm not very into it, I will play some every now and again but that's it.

    A lot of people think CS 1,6 is the best version of the game,, and they can play it whenever they want to, because the way server hosting works there is any individual can setup a server, and while that is true in WoW, it's not "allowed" by Blizzard, and if you want to get into one, you run the risk of getting your account stolen, because Blizzard doesn't allow it.


    Next point.

    Would people play vanilla, TBC, WotLK or Cata servers? Yes, how many? We don't know.

    I would personally play through vanilla, I never played it and it would be interesting, same thing with TBC, even though I played the game during TBC, I never reached max level, and at that point I had no clue of what to expect at max level, I didn't even think about it.


    Next problem with "legacy realms" is what patch should the game be on? Should it progress linear and then restart over? or should there be a realm dedicated to each patch, and then you realm transfered to get to the next patch, or even jump ahead in patches.

    I think it would have to be linear and restart, but should it then be on the same time schedule? There is a lot of logistical problems setting these up from Blizzards PoV, what they should just allow is for people to setup their own servers for ONLY old patches, and provide us with the resources for it, however I have no idea how that would affect them.

    At the end of the day, some may be nostalgia, when you compare today with vanilla, today is better in a lot of aspects, but there is also aspects that were better in the past, and not to mention the raiding content is no longer "available", while technicly you could level up to 60, 70 or 80 and go through the content that way, the talents and classes are very different, and generally way more powerful than it was before.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill
    Stream (Thursday 19:45) | Guild Website

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Actually I think that might be coming as a feature.
    Challenge Modes feature scaling down to a given item level, so I propose that it would not be unrealistic to allow such scaling down to any level.
    Blizzard even discussed, and hinted at the plans for a "mentoring" capability in WotLK where a player could down-level so that they can assist their friends with level appropriate content in a way that is actually far more conducive towards better play in a way that boosting is not.
    The battleground scaling of pushing the stats of a player up to the top end of the bracket is not too different from levelling someone down in the same way.
    Now the two core mechanism are both present in-game in some form, I would say it is very feasible to be a big upcoming feature
    but with all the changes to classes simple scaling down in ilvl will never feel the same. alot of 60 twink guilds clear bwl with not even 20 lvl 60ish because a lvl 60 in vanilla has less power then a lvl 50 in MoP.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 07:41 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiea View Post
    I don't understand why people are so much against it, in every other game genre, you can play almost whatever version you want (And easily play each expansion).

    Lets look at some of blizzard titles.

    I can go play Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos whenever I want to, yet Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne is already out?

    How about we turn this a bit away from Blizzard, let's look at Counter-strike, now I'm not very into it, I will play some every now and again but that's it.

    A lot of people think CS 1,6 is the best version of the game,, and they can play it whenever they want to, because the way server hosting works there is any individual can setup a server, and while that is true in WoW, it's not "allowed" by Blizzard, and if you want to get into one, you run the risk of getting your account stolen, because Blizzard doesn't allow it.


    Next point.

    Would people play vanilla, TBC, WotLK or Cata servers? Yes, how many? We don't know.

    I would personally play through vanilla, I never played it and it would be interesting, same thing with TBC, even though I played the game during TBC, I never reached max level, and at that point I had no clue of what to expect at max level, I didn't even think about it.


    Next problem with "legacy realms" is what patch should the game be on? Should it progress linear and then restart over? or should there be a realm dedicated to each patch, and then you realm transfered to get to the next patch, or even jump ahead in patches.

    I think it would have to be linear and restart, but should it then be on the same time schedule? There is a lot of logistical problems setting these up from Blizzards PoV, what they should just allow is for people to setup their own servers for ONLY old patches, and provide us with the resources for it, however I have no idea how that would affect them.

    At the end of the day, some may be nostalgia, when you compare today with vanilla, today is better in a lot of aspects, but there is also aspects that were better in the past, and not to mention the raiding content is no longer "available", while technicly you could level up to 60, 70 or 80 and go through the content that way, the talents and classes are very different, and generally way more powerful than it was before.
    oke now name a mmo that allows you to play what ever version you want. because both games you mention can run a server on a normal home pc. and i hope your talking about private servers right? and it is indeed not allowed by blizzard because private servers make money from there game. and they changed the code. thats why it is against the rules. and your account being stole if you make us of a private server? how would they even know you play on a private server? are people really that stupid to use the same usename and password for a official and private server?

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 07:46 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Norjak View Post
    Plenty of people disagree. Just like there's a need for LFR, Normal and Heroic to support different styles of raiding. Legacy servers are just a different style of gameplay that focuses on a different aspect of the game. The fact that Blizzard "officially" pooh pooh's the notion of legacy servers doesn't mean they shouldn't exist, as long as there's a demand for them.
    but that demand cost blizzard money every day its running. lfr cost some starting money but that it. and plenty of people? like maybe a few hunder who say they want a vanilla server but find out it sucks like hell and would be back to there main realm in now time leaving a vanilla only realm with 100 players yea lets raid someting. hope the whole server wants to come now otherwise we don't have the people for it
    Last edited by loki504; 2013-05-13 at 07:59 AM.

  17. #57
    Bloodsail Admiral KunkkaTheAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Seventyseven sea's.
    Posts
    1,017
    For what ? Logging in, ripping my eyeballs out because the only thing I see would be maniacs stroking their nostalgia while they wipe on Karazhan trash and simultaneously crying about the fact that they have to farm 10000000 nethervortex thingies to get the good craft stuff.

    I'll happily pass.
    "Why do we fight? To protect home and family, to preserve balance and bring harmony. For my kind the true question is, what is worth fighting for?"

  18. #58
    Dreadlord Asics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    West Seattle, WA
    Posts
    885
    Currently not subscribed. I would come back and try vanilla realms and may play the BC and WotLK realms for the nostalgia. That being said, as with most games that are resurrected, I can't see myself dedicating a large amount of time to them, let alone three.

    Maybe I would be further coerced if a premade character option was available. Think of the PTR for instance. You could make a new character if you so chose.
    I drink craft beer, listen to a broad spectrum of music, and am an avid Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco Giants fan!

  19. #59
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Sure why not. Keep throwing shit at the wall until something sticks right?.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  20. #60
    Bloodsail Admiral Sturmbringe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Patras, Achaea, Greece
    Posts
    1,110
    I started playing in Dec 2005. I have quit since January 2013. I only played MoP for 2 months. I currently play SW:TOR, but I would re-sub for either Vanilla or TBC Blizzard realms.
    NINJA TURTLES as the next playable WoW race/class combo. WoW has got Kung Fu Pandas, Pokemon and recently even Transformers in it, so I don't see how Ninja Turtles would be any less pathetic than current "WoW" is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •