Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    They are right though, they have been right ever since the end of WotLK. It's simply a slow process. WoW is dying, but it will still be around for at least a few more years.

About F2P though, the subs will need to drop to about 1 million for Blizzard to even consider it. That won't be happening anytime soon.
    WoW isn't dying, the entire MMO genre is dying. Blizzard started a huge war some years back and it became watered down. That is what made WoW "better" in vanilla/BC. Nothing like it existed to that extent. It was different, new and unique. Fast forward, going on 9 years, it is inevitable everything is going to drop. Don't get me wrong, Blizzard didn't do themselves any favors with Cata. Maybe if that expansion had been a huge success, we wouldn't be where we are today in terms of sub drops. Cata wasn't very well received as time went on and Mists of Pandaria wasn't exactly advertised in the "coolest" way. It did seem fairly kiddie at first glance. It really wasn't, but people judge things very harshly and first impressions are important. To me, if they are ever going garner any positive interest moving forward, it has to be Burning Legion, the bad guy has to be very bad ass, and the mood/theme/atmosphere needs to be dark and "cool". Everyone likes that sort of stuff, right? Just throwing ideas out there.

Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    Most people who play f2p end up spending more than $15 a month purchasing things, as long as the cash shop is done right.
    Yep and this is why the day it goes F2P is the day I remove it from my PC. (If I'm still playing by then.) Idiots preening in front of the AH mailbox are bad enough, not interested in rich idiots doing the same thing. (plus everything else associated with F2P)

Deleted
    Blizzard make WAY too much money from this. It'll never be free to play.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I suffered through 15 mins to humor my wife, won't do that again...

Anyways, anyone who really wants f2p for wow obviously doesn't understand the ramifications of that. What that means is that wow will not release as much content as quickly as they have been, and lets be honest theres so much content that people cant find time to level their alts and they are releasing the content so fast that many people are wondering if Blizzard keeps its employees in a dungeon.

Secondly it would mean they would have to take up a nickle and dime payment policy, You want 11 character slots? $! You want more than 2 12 slot bags? $! You want a flying mount? $! You want to unlock Blood Elves or Worgan? $$$!
    In each of the past three expansions we have had periods of almost a year without new content so I do not think that a sub fee guarantees content is released quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I'm not wasting 11 minutes of my life to watch that to find out they are trolling me... the title is enough to tell me that... one simple question for YOU, if you were in charge of WOW... would YOU throw away 1.4 BILLION dollars a year to switch from a highly profitable subscription model (which they have) to a F2P model? All you need to do is answer that question... then you have your answer whether Wow is going to be going F2P any time soon.
    Man Seranthor, you really are in denial arent you?

Just because WoW will go free to play, does not mean they will lose more money than they take in currently. You have no clue how finance and revenues work, so please stop spewing out garbage as if it is factual information.

Blizzard's own executives stated that by the end of this year, they EXPECT subscriptions to be lower than they are now. They are losing subs and they know it. They know the rate of decline, and a free to play model like star wars will probably be a great way for them to continue to increase revenues, while still allowing people who want to pay $15 a month to do so for unlimited access to everything they develop.

Seriously, people need to stop worshiping the ground Blizzard walks on... because that ground is thin ice in the middle of a lake, and if you continue to do so, you may just fall into a icy watery grave.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 07:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    Blizzard make WAY too much money from this. It'll never be free to play.
    I cant wait to say "I told you so" to you and everyone else who (in denial) believes this way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    World of Warcraft will NEVER BE free to play.

-> The reason you ask? Why would it change it's model that's worked for over 8.5 years.
    It'll be F2P when they stop making profit off it.

Either way, lots of drops are from people doom saying and stuff. If people stop calling the death of WoW around every corner or the moment someone they know quits, less people will quit 'before it's too late'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Man Seranthor, you really are in denial arent you?

Just because WoW will go free to play, does not mean they will lose more money than they take in currently. You have no clue how finance and revenues work, so please stop spewing out garbage as if it is factual information.

Blizzard's own executives stated that by the end of this year, they EXPECT subscriptions to be lower than they are now. They are losing subs and they know it. They know the rate of decline, and a free to play model like star wars will probably be a great way for them to continue to increase revenues, while still allowing people who want to pay $15 a month to do so for unlimited access to everything they develop.

Seriously, people need to stop worshiping the ground Blizzard walks on... because that ground is thin ice in the middle of a lake, and if you continue to do so, you may just fall into a icy watery grave.

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 07:20 PM ----------

I cant wait to say "I told you so" to you and everyone else who (in denial) believes this way.
    Playing WoW and supporting Blizzard doesn't mean we're blind fanboys who worship the "ground Blizzard walks on". It just means that we haven't thrown in the towel and rushed off to proclaim loudly to everyone who doesn't really want to hear it that WoW is dying, Blizzard is terrible, MoP is crap and so on.

...that doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of criticisms.

Quote Originally Posted by cattywhompas View Post
    I don't see how it's relevant what your kid plays, I don't care. The fact that a genre meant for adults now caters to kids in any capacity is a failure. MMORPG have become something else regardless of how you feel on the subject.

Your kid is proof.
    WoW was never aimed at a mature audience. Ever. Perhaps you're thinking of something like Dead Space...

I think they should make it f2p but not allow addons for non subscribing players

I think this is a good point and probably the way they will go about it they are not going to want to further alienate their existing subscribers by trying to get them to pay extra (although this is Blizzard so you never know ) I would expect the current F2P 1-20 to be expanded to a higher level with maybe advertising subsiding the sub fee to some extent and limited access to content without payment.

Quote Originally Posted by cattywhompas View Post
    I don't see how it's relevant what your kid plays, I don't care. The fact that a genre meant for adults now caters to kids in any capacity is a failure. MMORPG have become something else regardless of how you feel on the subject.

Your kid is proof.
    The game was meant for all people over the age of twelve. If it was designed for adults it would say so on the box. Your skewed viewpoint has NO basis in reality. This is wow, not Leisure Suit Larry.

You have proved nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    Most people who play f2p end up spending more than $15 a month purchasing things, as long as the cash shop is done right.
    no thats not true. but lets say we have swtor and we had 100k subs before going f2p. so we have a income of 1.5mil a month now swtor goes f2p and the playerbase increase to 500k. so to reach a income of 1,5m every player needs to spend 3 dollars a month. so pay more some pay less. but if goes goes f2p it doesn't magicly increase there playerbase to over 20mil. and thats the reason going f2p for wow will be a lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Thoughts on this video from IGN:

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/05/09/...o-free-to-play

They are predicting free to play and talk about the loss of subscriptions and how fast it is falling (numbers)

I am not saying they are right, but if it happens....that would be the date Wow officially died.
    Can someone explain the F2P model to me? Do they rely on micro-transactions to make money? I have never played a F2P game before..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Playing WoW and supporting Blizzard doesn't mean we're blind fanboys who worship the "ground Blizzard walks on". It just means that we haven't thrown in the towel and rushed off to proclaim loudly to everyone who doesn't really want to hear it that WoW is dying, Blizzard is terrible, MoP is crap and so on.

...that doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of criticisms.

WoW was never aimed at a mature audience. Ever. Perhaps you're thinking of something like Dead Space...
    I grow tired of people denying and acting like subs are not falling, or that it is "no big deal, its only subs from China". Its plain stupid to think that just because more subs were lost in China, it doesn't mean people are growing sick of the game in the west. The west lost subs too. People are becoming disinterested in the game all over the world, not just in China.

8.3 million is respectable, and its right at about what the subscriber base was during the middle of TBC. But its plain denial to think that subs are going to have some massive increase, or that its not a big deal to lose more than 10% of your playerbase in one quarter.

All I was saying is that WoW can still be a very successful franchise and be a free to play game. People hang on to this "omg WoW will never go free to play, or else I wont play it!" attitude and its quite disturbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I grow tired of people denying and acting like subs are not falling, or that it is "no big deal, its only subs from China". Its plain stupid to think that just because more subs were lost in China, it doesn't mean people are growing sick of the game in the west. The west lost subs too. People are becoming disinterested in the game all over the world, not just in China.

8.3 million is respectable, and its right at about what the subscriber base was during the middle of TBC. But its plain denial to think that subs are going to have some massive increase, or that its not a big deal to lose more than 10% of your playerbase in one quarter.

All I was saying is that WoW can still be a very successful franchise and be a free to play game. People hang on to this "omg WoW will never go free to play, or else I wont play it!" attitude and its quite disturbing.
    I never said subs aren't falling. Clearly they are. Clearly Blizzard needs to take steps to stop the decline. I have my own opinions about that (remove CRZ, remove gating VP behind dailies), but what I'm raging against is the hyperbole I read in every thread with stuff like (this was a thread yesterday) "Now that the demise of WoW is imminent" and those that think that because I say that WoW is still king, and still good, and still going to go on that I get labeled a blind fanboy

I don't think WoW would succeed as Free To Play. It does introduce a level of...shall we say...poorness to the game. I feel lesser by being in a free-to-play game. I don't want to see that happen and I'd be one of the first people to walk away if it did. Does it make me vain and conceited? I think it does, but that's how I feel
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-10 at 07:41 PM.

Israel
    March 31, 2013

WoW
    May 8th, 2013

So, WoW has more players subscribed than the entire country of Isreals population, After 8 years. Yeah, I think WoW is going F2P as well -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarnaxxx View Post
    Can someone explain the F2P model to me? Do they rely on micro-transactions to make money? I have never played a F2P game before..
    Yes. Or advertising. Virtually all rely on microtransactions of some sort. There are two major types of F2P - free-to-play, in that money won't get you anything other than cosmetic/vanity stuff and your progress is still limited the same as everyone else and B2P (or P2P), buy/play-to-pay where you can purchase better gear or boosts that push you past other people who do not or can not afford it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said subs aren't falling. Clearly they are. Clearly Blizzard needs to take steps to stop the decline. I have my own opinions about that (remove CRZ, remove gating VP behind dailies), but what I'm raging against is the hyperbole I read in every thread with stuff like (this was a thread yesterday) "Now that the demise of WoW is imminent" and those that think that because I say that WoW is still king, and still good, and still going to go on that I get labeled a blind fanboy

I don't think WoW would succeed as Free To Play. It does introduce a level of...shall we say...poorness to the game. I feel lesser by being in a free-to-play game. I don't want to see that happen and I'd be one of the first people to walk away if it did. Does it make me vain and conceited? I think it does, but that's how I feel
    I would never call you a blind fanboi Darsithis! you know this! (but it doesn't mean there arent those in that category who post on these very boards)

How would you feel "lesser" if the game was offered to people who didn't want a subscription fee? The only difference would be they would have to pay for "content packs" or other ways to access all the content you get to access with your sub fee. Look at starwars, its very successful now because they have both options available to their customers.

How is having more choice in how people want (or dont want) to play any detriment to your gameplay?

I am going to guess that CRZ is here to stay, but I think the way we do dailies and the gating behind them will change in the next expansion. People don't understand why Blizz is sticking with the daily process when so many people dislike them but (IMHO) I think its because once you set a plan of action in a business model you play it out until the end. You tweek it here and there as needed but you don't slam on the brakes while the bus is in motion. You certainly don't gut your business plan right in the middle of the quarter when you don't have something to replace it with. Once the business plan comes to its end and its time to create your next plan of action then you figure out a new engine for your bus, when its in the shop, not in the middle of the road so long as its still rolling.

My only problem with CRZ so far was outside Orgrimmar when mobs would not show up on my screen until they had aggrod me (harpies) and the clickables for quests were not spawning until I left the zone. I really havent had a negative experience with it beyond that, at least to my active awareness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    LOTRO/Champions Online/TSW/Terra/DDO and if you count the froundy with the endless amount of content that can be player made Neverwinter.
    Neverwinter, where the threat table is completely borked? That has no raiding? LOTRO has no real PVE to speak of. DDO is the same. TSW and Terra similarly have no real PvE endgame. I have no idea what Champions Online is, but I'm betting it doesn't have a PvE endgame, either.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never call you a blind fanboi Darsithis! you know this! (but it doesn't mean there arent those in that category who post on these very boards)

How would you feel "lesser" if the game was offered to people who didn't want a subscription fee? The only difference would be they would have to pay for "content packs" or other ways to access all the content you get to access with your sub fee. Look at starwars, its very successful now because they have both options available to their customers.

How is having more choice in how people want (or dont want) to play any detriment to your gameplay?
    It's not, but it's the same sensation I get when I go to, say, Wal-Mart vs Target or Kohls or an even more upscale boutique.