A question for people who think sub is bad!

I'm not trying to cause a big war over this and it's not hate directed towards people who want everything to be F2P, everybody has their right to think and do whatever they want.

but here is my question:

If WoW eventually goes F2P, what will you spend the extra 15$ a month you save on?

!!WARNING PERSONAL OPINION AHEAD!

Reason I'm asking this is that 15$ is not a lot of cash. If you save it it will be a massive 180$ a year. I've talked to be people in real life who quit wow because they thought it was to expensive for them, fair enough but when they use 25$ a week on cigarettes and party every weekend that makes no sense to me, I like a good party like everybody else but if I felt 15$ was to much for a hobby I do atleast 1-2 hours a day everyday, I'd probably not be able to afford smokes for 100$ and party for 100$ every month.

!!THREAT OVER!!

Deleted
    Theres some awesome free games about, check out Path of Exile, if you want to mmo but dont want to pay, you have to do it without wow.

$15, probably a few meals at mcdonalds. people are just jumping on the "lets go F2P!!!" bandwagon without any thought as to what that would mean.

lets say, we have 100 points. this points represent developement time. if we put 70 to pve (including dailies), 20 to pvp, and 10 to misc stuff, we have WoW as it is right now.

if WoW goes F2P, with those 100 points, it would be more like 50 to pve, 10 to pvp, 5 to misc, 35 to cosmetic stuff in blizz store to make money.

basically, the quality of WoW's content would go down simply because they have to make things they can profit off of. I'll gladly pay $15 a month, which is hardly anything at all, to play a quality game that I enjoy, without the developers having to compromise simply to make a profit. Yeah, they do occasionally come out with a new pet or mount in the blizzard store, but that's like 2-3 times a year. A F2P game would be more like 1 per month, if not more.

not saying free to play games are bad, but they're a dime a dozen these days, and the quality in them is never as good as WoW's quality, except perhaps GW2, and they're not entirely F2P but buy-to-play.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you save it it will be a massive 180$ a year
    Since when is $180 massive? My take home pay every month alone is $4200. $180 is nothing.

If WoW went F2P that $15...would...*shrug*. Not sure. Sit in my bank account I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, the $ per month is not a ~huge~ amount, but for me it's about the flexibility of B2P (buy the box only) - I can pay what I want when I want IF I want and never ever be locked out of access to the game or my characters.

I like that when I bought the game it is always my game. I'm not renting it.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-05-10 at 05:52 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Well, I quit smoking and I never saw the money gain. I used to spend 4€ per day for cigarettes, that is 120€ per month= 1440€ per year. There certainly is a money gain but you will never actually see it. Ye, I guess if every day I put 4€ in a box and open it after a year I will see it but theory is much different than reality!
    No, 15€ per month is not that much if you are working and don't have much other expenses. If you are a student maybe it is a lot to ask from your parents if they have a lot of things to pay already like phone bills, electricity, insurance, loan, food etc.... life is hard and sometimes 15€ is way too much in some circumstances!

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Since when is $180 massive? My take home pay every month alone is $4200. $180 is nothing.
    It's called sarcasm bro, Op is saying 180 is not a lot of money, the same as you.

If WoW went F2P that $15...would...*shrug*. Not sure. Sit in my bank account I guess.
    That was my point hehe

Deleted
    As a student I could really use the €180 to be honest, even if I'm not the partying type. Not sure what exactly it'd go to, but most likely something university-related. I have a question though, why would any company WANT their game to go F2P? This might be a stupid question, but I don't see how even 10M 'free' players is better than 1M paying players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It's not "expensive".
    But for some players it's the choice between:
    A) Having fun in a game.
    B) Having fun in a game that costs 15 dollar each month.

If you have the same amount of fun, then why pick the paid option?
    I have fun in wow and it happens to cost money, I'm not saying I would pay 15$ a month for something I could get free if the choice was there. I play league of legends aswell but I have yet to spend any money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    That was my point hehe
    Sarcasm translates poorly over the interwebs, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by SanderZammy View Post
    As a student I could really use the €180 to be honest, even if I'm not the partying type. Not sure what exactly it'd go to, but most likely something university-related. I have a question though, why would any company WANT their game to go F2P? This might be a stupid question, but I don't see how even 10M 'free' players is better than 1M paying players.
    When I was a student, I worked every afternoon for 2 hours and weekends and every summer for 2 months and xmass etc etc and with the scholarship and the extra money from all the work, I was able to pay my rent, get a car and pay for my gaming habits and yet have money to use when going out with friends.

An extra "nice"ish lunch or dinner each month would probably be noticeable for me, since I'm a college student on a pretty tight budget. It would also be an extra movie with friends, for example. Right now, that $15 is budgeted into my "leisure" money, and that's probably where it would stay if WoW went F2P.

editertedfasdfsd.
    Last edited by Speedlance; 2013-05-10 at 07:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    When I was a student, I worked every afternoon for 2 hours and weekends and every summer for 2 months and xmass etc etc and with the scholarship and the extra money from all the work, I was able to pay my rent, get a car and pay for my gaming habits and yet have money to use when going out with friends.
    Doesn't seem like an option for me atm, the only spare time I have is late in the evening, I doubt there's any work to be done at times like that. Working isn't the problem (in fact, I used to work before university), circumstances are. I don't really mind though, as long as I can pay for rent and food, and have at least *some* money to spend on gaming, which is exactly how it is right now

Quote Originally Posted by cattywhompas View Post
    $15 isn't too much to me, it's more than $0 though.
    That isn't the problem for anyone, the problem is they believe that you get what you pay for and if you pay for $0 worth of content, you get $0 worth of content. Blizzard employs psychologists (3 of them) whose job is to make you believe and feel what isn't necessarily true. They work on creating ideas that are incorporated into the game to increase addictive play and things just like this.

10+ years ago server costs were higher than they are now, they're lumped in with miscellaneous these days and are at an all time low, yet $15 is still the standard. GW has been going strong since 2004 without a sub.
    well consider that ToT is probably the best raid since ulduar I guess they have understood the fact that people demand more for their bucks

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 07:44 PM ----------

Sarcasm translates poorly over the interwebs, my friend
    well I did mention the fact that 15$ is not a lot of money and I thought my sarcastic sentence after would be understood. I assume it failed badly