Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Personally, I think this is really a non-issue, or at least far less of an issue than most people think. For one, we're on the internet and people will be assholes here regardless because of the anonymity, but most of our player interactions already occur in LFR, LFD and through cross-realm with players we probably will never see any anyway. The idea of assholes being able to slip away into the shadows without social repercussion has already been true for years.

And if they are a serious problem (like scamming, etc), then Blizzard can still track them to address it.
    Agreed here as well. If they're that much of an issue, then if enough people report em, Blizzard will take action... eventually.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't they just merge the servers? Seems more reasonable. To use an example for those who played SWTOR in its early days how dead the servers got, then they condensed them from like 72 servers to like 8.

I mean, just an idea, I know it's been suggested before but I can't remember seeing a reason as to not do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Why don't they just merge the servers? Seems more reasonable. To use an example for those who played SWTOR in its early days how dead the servers got, then they condensed them from like 72 servers to like 8.

I mean, just an idea, I know it's been suggested before but I can't remember seeing a reason as to not do it.
    Check Dragon9870's last post on the 1st page.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    No, mergers are even WORSE, and here's why:

- It's forced upon you
    - You (may) forcibly give up your name; one you may have had for years (one of the biggest reasons Blizzard won't do it)
    - Forces you upon a higher pop realm (possibly even too high) from a dead realm
    - [Edit] Forcing stuff upon people generally makes them angry, sad, or generally negative

Free transfers however:

- Allow you to choose if you even want to go
    - Allow you to choose WHEN AND WHERE you want to go
    - Lets you check if your name is taken on your destination realm, and if it is, you can lock a name on that realm ahead of time

Not to mention if they dislike their new realm, they'd be forced to pay another transfer, or just wait a few weeks for their freebie, resulting in further increased positivity.

Despite not being on a "dead" realm myself, I don't FEEL like a valued customer in any way. Robotic GM responses and all these extra fees on top of the ALREADY-not-worth-it $13-15/month subscription make me feel like I'm nothing more than a cash cow.
    Copy and pasted for your benefit
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should be a free realm transfer granted to you if you've kept up a sub for a certain amount of months, much like an incentive to remain loyal to them and it would be their way of showing gratitude to your loyalty. Example being a free transfer every 3 months you've remained subbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac
    Once every expansion seems more fair.
    This sounds like another good idea but make it halfway through each expansion.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-05-10 at 08:21 PM.

Deleted

How about (dare I say it) merge servers! Some people seem to think this is really taboo as it's a sign of a dying game or something. Guess what... over 1 million subs lost after GC tries every fucking trick in the book is a sign of a dying game! Deal with it and make the experience more enjoyable for those 8 million still around by ensuring servers are full. You might even keep them around or actually turn the tide!

Actibli$$ion is why
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    So paying $330 over the course of ~18 months + expansion cost for something that's automated and should be free at this point... for one transfer.

Nyeh. Doesn't seem like much of a reward at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think that realm population is an issue, wait until it is free to transfer and marvel at how your low pop and medium pop realms suddenly become 0 population realms as everyone struggles to get onto one of the top servers or other.

It isn't just about making money, the price discourages realm-hopping. Which is, of course, what the OP wants.

And of course the drop isn't JUST because of China. ... I unsubbed as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    How about (dare I say it) merge servers! Some people seem to think this is really taboo as it's a sign of a dying game or something. Guess what... over 1 million subs lost after GC tries every fucking trick in the book is a sign of a dying game! Deal with it and make the experience more enjoyable for those 8 million still around by ensuring servers are full. You might even keep them around or actually turn the tide!
    Please read the edited OP, my original "why Mergers are bad" on page 1, or, LITERALLY, three posts above yours.

I would be all over this ATM I am considering quitting because on peek hours my server has like 6 people in orgrimmar and I've sunk waaaaay too much hours in to the characters I have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    While I agree with the idea of a merger, I don't believe GC is at fault. It's more along the lines of Blizzard as a whole not wanting to merge them. I think they have way too many realms in the realm list and it needs to get smaller. I'd agree that it's acceptable to have that many if we were still at 12mil but it's 8mil and shutting down a few realms would be a good idea to populate realms more. This would solve a small amount of issues current players are experiencing and I don't really think a name changer is that huge of a deal.

I believe there was a blue post about this topic a while back, and blizzard boiled the answer down to:

It is not a service that is fundamental to the game. it is a premium service, if you do not like a server, go re-roll.
    i'll look for the blue post.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    If you think that realm population is an issue, wait until it is free to transfer and marvel at how your low pop and medium pop realms suddenly become 0 population realms as everyone struggles to get onto one of the top servers or other.

It isn't just about making money, the price discourages realm-hopping. Which is, of course, what the OP wants.
    Then you're forced between your server, or server X, which could be even worse.

Really? I guess that's why I'm still sticking with my guild on my shitty server. If you want to know my true motives, then I'll lay all my cards out on the table.

What I, the OP, actually want from this
    - Let me change my race every so often for free, because I enjoy playing most of the races
    - Our recruits could safely come to our realm without a $25-50 cost ($50 if they suck/leave us), because we've been recruiting off-realm due to shitters on our realm
    - Should my guild ever realm hop, I can be happy knowing I can (eventually) bring all my characters there without having to pay $275 instead.

But you totally know me and think I want to realm-hop constantly. I guess that's why I've been on Suramar since Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    If it doesn't turn a profit, it doesn't get implemented. Blizzard is a "for-profit" company. Much along the same reasoning why the game is not Free-to-Play. If it ever becomes a F2P, I'm out... as are many others.

All companies are 'for-profit' otherwise they would be charities.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    While I agree with the idea of a merger, I don't believe GC is at fault. It's more along the lines of Blizzard as a whole not wanting to merge them. I think they have way too many realms in the realm list and it needs to get smaller. I'd agree that it's acceptable to have that many if we were still at 12mil but it's 8mil and shutting down a few realms would be a good idea to populate realms more. This would solve a small amount of issues current players are experiencing and I don't really think a name changer is that huge of a deal.
    The problem is obviously the gigantic amount of people who do. There are so many people that would quit over this in an instant.

Because right now Blizzard is still making more money on paid transfers than they are losing on people quitting because of dead realms. Until the ratio flips the other direction, you will not see free transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    If they want to take the greedy way to fix this by merging realms instead of my idea, then the only way I can think of how to fix the issue is giving all players on realm X a free transfer to anywhere that isn't a full pop realm, and them being given 2 months notice that their realm will be PERMANENTLY shut down after those 2 months. Any characters still on the realm after 2 months will be forced to choose (at will) a new, non-full, realm, before they can play.

I know people who would re-sub if they did something like (or hell if they did a discounted group transfer). Those are people they're not getting money from anyway, but if they actually cared and did some things that are common and/or logical in todays MMO market they could be making more money.

Personally I'm all for free transfers. I would like to faction change some toons, but they're server they're on makes it not worth the $30 or whatever it is. And the idea of paying the $25 for a transfer plus $30 for the faction change means they're not making any money from me outside of the sub fee.