• Absolutely, I love it and do frequently

43 23.76%
  • Once in a while with friends

60 33.15%
  • No, I don't role-play

78 43.09%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't, though I don't consider it "lame" and don't judge others for enjoying it. I haven't seen anyone doing it in quite some time but used to amuse me seeing them wander on by while i'm idle somewhere and their chit chats.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

I tried my hands at RPing in WoW. Mostly nothing happened, as people typically do rp within their guild or only at the very rare event. My last foray into it in WoW was back in October (hallow's end event), where I had a little bit of rp with my panda shaman kinda fresh off the balloon. And then nothing else. I do try to have my characters have rp names (not Ipwnu or Priestiality), even when I don't play on rp realms (which is almost never, as typically those on rp realms I have found to be less douchebaggy). Although with the merger of (what seems to be) all the RP NA realms, it seems RP is harder to come by, since the one I played on (wyrmrest accord) was merged with the infamous one (moon guard). And no one wants to RP with Moon Guard.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't.
    Eventho I'm on a RP realm, I don't RP.
    I join in if someone starts RP'ish, but I keep it to a minimum and even that happens fairly rarely.

My names are all acceptable and I do report people for stupid names, knowing they will be changed.

Also, Earthen Ring EU hasn't seen RP in a couple of years from what I heared, so I know I'm not the only one ;-).

10+ Year Old Account
    I also always start the chat with a with, Hello Adventurer! ( even to those i never met ^^)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont in-game, but I sotra do in my own head, if that makes any sense
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I also always start the chat with a with, Hello Adventurer! ( even to those i never met ^^)
    I once amused a few people by having a conversation......with an NPC. It turned into RP.

I remember when I first started my gnome, a small RP conversation turned into 4 gnomes WALKING to Dun Morogh and discussing current events.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was in a dungeon, throne of tides infact, at the time of cata, and in a random group, one of them suddenly said to me in party "Hey, your on argent dawn?", which I responded 'yeah, obviously?". He came back with a mocking 'omg, are you rper XD?", which I said yeah, I am', so he and two others in the group continued to mock the fact, ok, they outright threw every verbal insult they could, about the fact I roleplayed.
    I was the healer though for that dungeon, so I waited for them to pull the pack of naga before the first boss, and let them die, before leaving the instance.

Still, the regard people who don't roleplay have for those that do differs. Maybe thats why I enjoy it more, because its like a small corner in the wow community thats not all big raiders and hardass pvpers, its just people enjoying what they do.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    I sometimes get my girlfriend to pretend she's a smurf and paint her blue before we have sex..... Ohhh you mean in WoW.... no sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think that the RP community has the most fun.
    PvE and PvP can still be more stressfull then fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    No I can't say I do, there are some moments where I am RP'ing I suppose, but it's never obvious in-game that I am, only to myself.
    Though I have made somewhat of a back-story for my warlock, which would count as RP I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I'm going to publicly oust you, Tziva. She used to RP. Kinda. In fact, her "RP" is one of my favorite memories from Wrath.

I had found that druid dressed in the murloc suit in Borean Tundra and the following was said in guild.

Faroth: Um, Tziva, there's a fellow here saying he's the king of murlocs.
    Tziva: He's a liar. Stab him in the face. Twice!

(Tziva rocked the murloc suit from Blizzcon before raids in TBC. She was the murloc queen.)
    Hahaha! I still wear my damn suit all the time. The novelty of it will never wear off! Nor will my desire to stab people who displease me in the face. Thanks for that memory, it made me smile.

(Backstory: Faroth and I were in an RP guild together for years)

Seriously though, I don't think what I did was really what most people think of as RP. What I did then, and what I still do in my head to a degree, is I have a character concept - my character has attributes and a personality and I might even have a mental backstory for them. I honestly don't think this is that uncommon, even for people who would never in a million years RP. Even when I was the guild at the height of my involvement in that aspect of the game, I probably wouldn't have classified myself as an RPer so much as a player who liked to make quips and comments "in character" during raids and dungeons. I was conspicuously absent when it come to guild groups acting out storylines and whatnot because that is sooooo not for me.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I don't currently, but I'd love to try! I used to play in MUDs back in the day and enjoyed them a lot. I think because I'm not a huge lore fanatic, WoW RP intimidates me quite a bit. I feel like I'd need to know ~everything~ to fit in to an RP group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually what I meant to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Faroth: Um, Tziva, there's a fellow here saying he's the king of murlocs.
    Tziva: He's a liar. Stab him in the face. Twice!
    I DENY EVERYTHING

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Ducoudray View Post
    I don't currently, but I'd love to try! I used to play in MUDs back in the day and enjoyed them a lot. I think because I'm not a huge lore fanatic, WoW RP intimidates me quite a bit. I feel like I'd need to know ~everything~ to fit in to an RP group.
    Nah, you don't have to be a lore expert. A good rule of thumb is to just do your homework on the lore that's relevant to your character. Like, looking up stuff about your race/class on wowpedia and just the stuff your character would know. There's a LOT of lore out there but it's just the stuff that relates to your character that matters. The rest you'll pick up naturally!
    Last edited by Roulette Kneebasha; 2013-05-10 at 11:14 PM.

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducoudray View Post
    We actually have some threads in the RP forums for beginners... you don't need to know anything about lore for them, just have a character you'd like to play.

Characters don't really need to have a lot of complicated lore ideas for them to work. I mean, if you know the general plotline from warcraft III onward you've got the majority of information you'd need and even that isn't necessarily vital. Backstory really helps flesh out a character and define WHY they do what they do and give a solid ground for development of that character, but all you really need to RP is, again, a character concept (even just a personality and race / class) and people to RP with

10+ Year Old Account
    Once in a while, I like to have specific gear sets and backstories for all of my characters.

Deleted
    Most of the time me and guildies do. We still go to Northrend to kill undead (we are all paladins) to vanish the evil. We still go for walks and talk about life in Azeroth. We still march in hubs to show how cool and diciplined we are. We still get our toons drunk in LFRs for the hell of it (we are a heroic/normal raiding guild but do LFR to help filthy newbies ). We goof around a lot and is know for it, people find it funny most of the time and sometimes people join in

All in all we can be quite goofy but serious as well

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't. Apparently I do to some of my guildies because I know so much about the lore but. . I do how ever like to have RP names for my players. In 8 years the other day was the first time I have made a player with a joke name. Called it Merrymaker Funkymonkey!. I liked it so much I might rename one of my 85s it lol.

I don't care that other people RP as long as they keep it out of random bgs and 5mans.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-05-10 at 11:11 PM.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Have RP'd a bit on Argent Dawn EU, found it to be a lot of fun whenever I did get into it, but as I don't know anyone else on the server there and even on the Internet I have issues trying to socialize with people, I stopped after a while. I did meet a lovely girl from England though that I still chat with from time to time over Skype, so I'm very happy my friend talked me into trying it at least.

I must also say that the people who RP are in general the nicest, funniest and most awesome people I have ever met within the WoW community, I wish more people would give it a shot, they have no idea what they are missing out on.

I don't personally but I also don't look down on others who do it. Different strokes all that. If someone enjoys roleplaying (it is an RPG afterall) let them have at it.