Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    The thing that baffles me is that I know a handful of players who refuse to pay for a monthly subscription and yet spend more than double the cost of a monthly sub on gimmick items each time something new and shiny shows up in various MMO's cash shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Calthric View Post
    The thing that baffles me is that I know a handful of players who refuse to pay for a monthly subscription and yet spend more than double the cost of a monthly sub on gimmick items each time something new and shiny shows up in various MMO's cash shops.
    I know right. Almost as silly as those people who pay a sub, and spend more than a months worth on pets and mounts from the online store, and then go on to use customization, transfer, etc... etc... other services worth several months of sub time. Craaaazy.

The thing I like about sub games is they put pressure on the developer to deliver value to the player. The thing is this is where most of them fail, and why they lose subs. But at least it keeps them honest. F2P on the other hand there are a wide variety of models, and you do have some games like SWTOR that charge you for stupid crap like action bars and in many cases 90% of the updates are store items. But the up side to F2P is you don't have to worry about getting your moneys worth, because if you don't think it's worth it you just don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    The thing I like about sub games is they put pressure on the developer to deliver value to the player. The thing is this is where most of them fail, and why they lose subs. But at least it keeps them honest. F2P on the other hand there are a wide variety of models, and you do have some games like SWTOR that charge you for stupid crap like action bars and in many cases 90% of the updates are store items. But the up side to F2P is you don't have to worry about getting your moneys worth, because if you don't think it's worth it you just don't buy it.
    F2P games need to deliver value as well. If they're not coming out with new, engaging content, then people are going to leave to play other games. It's in their best interest to balance out cash shop updates with content updates to keep players around and playing.

As for SWTOR, while I have no love for the games business model (It's shit), your assessment isn't accurate. It does put a heavy focus on the Cartel Market (more of a focus than any other F2P game I've seen), but it's nowhere near 90%. They've come out with more content since going F2P (even without the expansion) than they have in the time they were subscription only (or close to it). They are coming out with content, they're just matching that with a nearly equal amount of Cartel Market items.

Your last sentence is important though. It puts the power in the hands of the players, "democratizing payment". The company doesn't dictate how much you need to pay to play, they let you choose how much you feel the game is worth. That's kinda an awesome model for consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Game experience is what ultimately matters.
    No. No, it does not.

That could never be a true statement. Only a subjective one.

Gameplay, is the only reason for the existence of a video game. Nothing can be considered higher or equal. It's not possible or they cease to exist.