Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The end of openraid?

So those of you that know and use Openraid probably know how much worse its getting these days, I have recently done some of the "openraid hosted events" and can see why, apart from little to no raid leading almost all of the loot was kept by the openraid staff member that lead the raid(people were asking for loot they rolled on and not getting it). Not gonna name and shame but when I did let the site know what was going on they really did not care. Such a shame that a website that used to be pretty awesome now has its staff using the site to ninja loot.

That was the final nail in the coffin for me and im gutted to see a great idea go down the drain
    Whoops, sig too big

I just use openraid to get shitty groups for Ulduar/ICC on alts that suck so much that I wouldn't want to burden my friends by making them carry those toons. I think the worst part is how every group has the stacking roll bonus thing "+1000000 to my roll for invincible but its on freeroll and all are welcome to come!"
    Last edited by Volitar; 2013-05-11 at 02:25 AM.
    Hi Sephurik

Thats how I started out, then started filling some T14 achi's and ran into the issues mentioned above, wasnt even my loot that got stolen, just other peoples that actually needed the upgrade

Are you serious? Openraid is still an active and useful site. I have acquired many achievements thanks to that site. If it was not for openraid I would have missed out on a lot of stuff. I have personally lead raids myself and been successful almost all times. But yes, you can't expect every event organizer to be a skilled and experienced leader. Ninja looting is always a risk. Why would you even go to the hosted event in the first place? The hosted events are not the reason we are there. We are there to make our own raids.

I've personally stopped using OpenRaid entirely. There was always the risk of bad pugs and such but the bits I've used it for in the last few weeks have been train wreck after train wreck after train wreck.

Firmly believe it has to do with the server population issues. There's a lot of players that, because of dying servers, are doing LFR for their Throne content and getting the majority of their raid experience via OpenRaid since it's ridiculously hard to pug on many servers now. Only problem with this is that as more people get involved with it, the more bad players also come with. Using it in Cataclysm for example was great at the site was new and a lot of good players were actively using it for alt runs and achieves. There was always the chance of failure and the occasional moron but there was less in terms of outright stupidity.

Basically, more players using the site = more stupid/jerks = more frustrating runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Are you serious? Openraid is still an active and useful site. I have acquired many achievements thanks to that site. If it was not for openraid I would have missed out on a lot of stuff. I have personally lead raids myself and been successful almost all times. But yes, you can't expect every event organizer to be a skilled and experienced leader. Ninja looting is always a risk. Why would you even go to the hosted event in the first place? The hosted events are not the reason we are there. We are there to make our own raids.
    Yes, quite serious...if you lead your own raids then fine, im not talking about you...My issue is with the people running the site using it to screw people over. There are still some people who lead good raids. But compared to cata, when the site was reliable, It is now abysmal
    Whoops, sig too big

10+ Year Old Account
    I originally used OpenRaid a couple months ago to get the Wrath/Cata achievements for drakes that I could not get on my own, I always had a pretty good experience. Since then, I haven't bothered to use it at all as I have no need for it. Maybe as time goes on more people are hearing about this and you're just getting worse groups? It sounds as though your raid was swindled by one of the staff members there, I never attended anything "officially hosted" by them or whatever they call it, but are you sure there was no loot rules or something of this nature? If not, then it sounds like your group was just abused by someone in a position of power, quite sad if that is the case.

Deleted
    back during beta the only people using it were the ones that were looking for it - which generally meant a higher caliber of player.
    The average player skill has certainly gone down as it's audience has widened (as would be expected), which i think has generally shifted the general attitude of the whole site for the worse. It's devolving into the typical trade chat pug which essentially is all it was to start with (minus the exclusivity as mentioned above)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
    I originally used OpenRaid a couple months ago to get the Wrath/Cata achievements for drakes that I could not get on my own, I always had a pretty good experience. Since then, I haven't bothered to use it at all as I have no need for it. Maybe as time goes on more people are hearing about this and you're just getting worse groups? It sounds as though your raid was swindled by one of the staff members there, I never attended anything "officially hosted" by them or whatever they call it, but are you sure there was no loot rules or something of this nature? If not, then it sounds like your group was just abused by someone in a position of power, quite sad if that is the case.
    Was listed as group loot MS>OS>mog, the leader claimed "master loot issues" then managed to give all the loot to herself after people zoned out

Yea i think the hosted events are really a bad place to go now, I even check other events as the leader usually doesnt have the exp/item lvl they are asking for and want to get carried

Such a shame
    Whoops, sig too big

It's not what it used to be. I don't know what happened,
    My name is what makes me so manly.

I've been wiping in ICC for the past two hours and now we finnally get to LK and the RL turns it to normal even tho the post says "Full heroic" "Invincible will be freeroll"

God fucking damn it I hate this site.
    Hi Sephurik

I feel your pain, only time I have sen invincible drop was via openraid, was Ninja'd of course. Seems the reputation system failed on that site too
    Whoops, sig too big

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    I've been wiping in ICC for the past two hours and now we finnally get to LK and the RL turns it to normal even tho the post says "Full heroic" "Invincible will be freeroll"

God fucking damn it I hate this site.
    That's not the site's fault, is it? Blame the player, and not the site itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    That's not the site's fault, is it? Blame the player, and not the site itself.
    The site's reputation will continue to decrease as more stories like this get told. Yes, individual's are to blame, but it is the tool (the site) which allows people to continue to get away with behaviour like this.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Openraid is still a good site. You just have to make sure you only join raids led by reputable raid leaders who can make people follow directions and honor loot rules. Good raid leaders can make people honor loot rules even if it's on group loot.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with roll bonus. Some of these raid leaders have been running ICC like 40+ times. They deserve something for their time and it's better than reserving the mount. Besides most people join for other things like transmog gear, legendary items, or achieves. I just got my infusion quests done this week so I'm happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creations View Post
    It's not what it used to be. I don't know what happened,
    Simply put, it got bigger and a lot of the newer people aren't top-of-the-line raiders. The better raiders were in early on.

As for the OP's complaint about the staff being a problem that will sink the site faster than anything. The fact is volunteer sites where no one is getting paid are susceptible to this after the initial "Wow, look what we're doing!" buzz wears off. It becomes work and unpaid work at that. That can breed entitlement and there you go.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

its still decent. i pug toes runs their every week on 3 toons. granted alot of them wipe on lei shi sometimes but then again sometimes i get 30 minute clears. gonna get that same treatment in trade chat. its just alot faster to fill the group through openraid. i got all my HM deathwing kills including the mount through openraid along with tons of close calls on H rag. yes you should be able to join a ICC or whatever and not have stuff ninja'd, but that just wont happen. i never join any cross realm raid where a mount is involved. save yourself the heartache

Eh, I'm in a decent enough guild that I don't need to resort to Openraid.

Even so, Oqueue is still a good addon to download for an alternative to Openraid

I use Openraid quite frequently (4-5 runs/week), and have had little to no issue. But, I'm very selective about which raid I will sign up for-I avoid "bonus roll" to mount raids at all costs, as well as people with silly loot rules. I've never run with any of the openraid "staff" so I can't comment on that. I also typically only run stuff that is COMPLETELY faceroll (i.e. Cata and older), because people will always fail at mechanics. But, *knock on wood* I've had a lot of success with openraid, including 4 or 5 meta mounts, and thousands of achievement points.

If you have a problem with how the raid was conducted or something the RL did then you should leave negative feedback on the rating page. Also dont join raids led by people who just joined the site or have bad rep. The site cant tell who is going to be a ninja before they do it any more than you can joining a pug in trade chat. The site at least has a feedback page that you can look at to see what other people have said about the player.

Ive seen a slowdown in the number of raids being done for current content this expansion. I think this is because 1) you couldnt cross realm MoP raids until 5.2 so there wansnt much to do but farm invicibles and mim head, 2) people dont have as many geared alts, 3) the game takes more time now than in Cata and there is more to do outside raiding. The site will probably pick up more later in MoP and if Blizzard ever lets you cross realm the current raid(like they should).