Poll: Your favorite design of obtaining legendaries in WoW?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your favorite design of obtaining legendaries in WoW?

Hey everyone, yes as the title says: what is your favorite design of obtaining legendaries in WoW?

1- Vanilla/TBC: pure RNG hoping the god of RNG of WoW will make it drop. Examples, such as the bindings of Thunderfury in Molton Core, or the eye item that dropped from old Ragnaros for the Sulfuras mace, BT warglaives, and Sunwell bow.

2- Wotlk: some RNG mixed with some specific objective that require to do in order to get the legendary. Examples, such as Ulduar Valanyr mace, and Shadowmourne from ICC.

3- Cataclysm: no RNG just long grind of specific items mixed with some objective that require to do in order to get the legendary. Examples, such as Taregosa Staff of Firelands, and Fangs of the father daggers of DS.

4- MoP: Similar to Wotlk style but the difference that the legendary progresses for the entire expansion instead of just one tier content.

Thanks for reading and discuss please.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    MoP one is pretty cool, working on something for a very long time, getting certain things along the way

But then again, something that everyone can get kinda mkes it loose its "special" feel
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    i realy like the story of the Staff in FL

10+ Year Old Account
    Mists Of Pandaria is really cool. But Vanilla ones win any day.

Woah, woah, you can't rope Vanilla and TBC into the same category! They're nothing alike!

TBC introduced Legendaries that JUST DROPPED. It was the worst method for Legendary obtaining to date.

Vanilla on the other hand was NOTHING LIKE THAT. Sure, you had some random drops, but also you had to go a lot of places to do hard things, collect rare and ultra expensive mats (mind control a mob to teach you Elementium smelting!), and so on.

You can't just say "vanilla/TBC" as if it's one thing, thus I refuse to click on it.

Vanilla, I would say, is the best design, because Legendaries are not supposed to be common.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Without knowing the end goal to the MoP one its kinda hard to pass judgement. I dont like the concept of a Legendary taking a long time to complete. Which is what the MOP one is feeling like. Theres no actual skill or achievement its just time.

The TBC model was pure RNG which is just as bad as a time investment.

I enjoyed the WotLK model. It was a mixture of time and achievement. Especially Shadowmourne. The shards was a time deal, whereas it also had achievement elements, Sindragosa, Putricide and Lanathel all had a obscure element to the fight in order to get it, which made it interesting. It also required you to be in a somewhat decent raiding guild. Downing Sindragosa wasnt...THAT hard but it still required a guild in most cases.

Legendaries are I think, a guild achievement. They are a huge investment and reward. I dont like the current system of time based with very little input from guilds.

Wrath of the Lich King - Shadowmoure System

Having to destroy vast armies of your foe, absorbing their soul and empowering the weapon itself as you move along the chain quest. As things move on, you need to start collecting materials, from both inside and outside the raid (although, this wasn't prevalent in the Shadowmourne Series). Eventually, you come around to defeating the boss in a different method then you're used to.

Having the person doing the quest, taking the Putricide Abomination, Getting Bitten (or not) on Blood Queen & taking a Breathe from Sindragosa. It changed the flow and how the raid operated on certain fight.

I like the way MoP legendary questline works like, but I dislike the fact that so far we're just getting random legendary bits and items, not really connected each other.
    I'd prefer if we worked on one legendary weapon for whole expansion, upgrading it at various stages etc. SO you start at the beginning with a gem, then you get a basic weapon, then you get another gem for that weapon, then you reforge the wapon into more powerful once, infuse it etc, until at very last part you get a full legendary weapon. Something like Shadowmourne but spread through whole expansion, requiring you to go through all the raids with a bit of RNG (getting basic weapon that'd define what you get at the end), accessible to all that put an effort through whole expansion (so just like MoP one so far).
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Without knowing the end goal to the MoP one its kinda hard to pass judgement. I dont like the concept of a Legendary taking a long time to complete. Which is what the MOP one is feeling like. Theres no actual skill or achievement its just time.

Legendaries are I think, a guild achievement. They are a huge investment and reward. I dont like the current system of time based with very little input from guilds.
    Going to agree with this. While the idea of a expansion long Legendary sounded cool, their implementation has been poor and boring.

Legendaries to me should be, as you've said, a guild achievement, something you work towards as a community, as a team and each of you individually work together to empower someone with a a fantastic reward. I remember having to decide who should get our guilds Shadowmourne Legendary, a task that went to vote before it came out, and then the Office Team decided before the launch.

It was fun, exciting and enjoyable to reward someone for their efforts, and making a whole guild ceremony of the thing just filled everyone with excitement and joy to work at it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    I like the way MoP legendary questline works like, but I dislike the fact that so far we're just getting random legendary bits and items, not really connected each other.
    I'd prefer if we worked on one legendary weapon for whole expansion, upgrading it at various stages etc. SO you start at the beginning with a gem, then you get a basic weapon, then you get another gem for that weapon, then you reforge the wapon into more powerful once, infuse it etc, until at very last part you get a full legendary weapon. Something like Shadowmourne but spread through whole expansion, requiring you to go through all the raids with a bit of RNG (getting basic weapon that'd define what you get at the end), accessible to all that put an effort through whole expansion (so just like MoP one so far).
    the problem with such a model is that it would make raid weapons irrelevant across the entire expansion. bad design IMO.

I really liked the individual part for the rogue daggers in Cata. That whole quest chain (before you needed to hit the raids) was a lot of fun! I'd quite like to see something similar introduced at the start of the next Legendary chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    I really liked the individual part for the rogue daggers in Cata. That whole quest chain (before you needed to hit the raids) was a lot of fun! I'd quite like to see something similar introduced at the start of the next Legendary chain.
    While it was cool sounding, from the entire raids point of view, it was pretty lame. Just gather a RNG Drop from bosses. I'd like the legendary to be a little more exciting for the raid as a whole, but not to lose focus on making it an epic experience for the individual either.

MoP by far.

-No class is left out. (The amount of people I've seen suddenly re roll because they knew a Legendary was coming out for that specific class is unbelievable!- thinking they will automatically get first dibs, then causing drama amongst guilds)

-No guild bitching about who is going to get theirs first.

-No RNG (obviously not including the drop rates for sigils/secrets etc).

-We get small rewards throughout the quest chain.

-We get an interesting storyline.

-Everyone gets to participate.

-Time spent determines how fast/slow you get to the end and the rewards.

I love the MOP design and I hope they continue along this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to say a mix of them all really, or a whole new way!

Lets say when Siege of Orgrimmar is out, we get a legendary weapon instead of a gem/enchant and what not, we collect one bit of the legendary quest items from the older tiers (Sigils from t14, runes from t15) of the xpac along with some from SoO, and get a some apparent master blacksmith to forge a new weapon
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    *snip*
    While there has been far less drama, there has also been a serious loss of prestige and pride in obtaining this Legendary. The name is indicative of how it is meant to be, exclusive and amazing, not something the entire community can achieve.

I've never been about locking aspects of the game away from certain groups of players (Casual, most notably), but having Legendaries becoming the new Epic, is just leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

On paper, I would have to say the WOTLK method was best. The Shadowmourne quests were fun and required some skill. However, I don't remember legendaries ever feeling as legendary as they were in Vanilla. Only one shaman on the horde faction had one on my old server. Everyone worshipped that guy and he commanded respect everywhere he went. Half the damn server had Shadowmourne in WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrah View Post
    i realy like the story of the Staff in FL
    I liked this one but if i only got to pick one broader model i would say go with the WoTLK one. I think it was absolutely stupid that after having said that "too many people got the staff" in regards to the FL legendary, they go and make legendaries for EVERYONE in MoP. It just does not make sense.

TL;DR - earning it. That's the best way. Not this freebie have it crap.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    MoP by far.

-No class is left out. (The amount of people I've seen suddenly re roll because they knew a Legendary was coming out for that specific class is unbelievable!- thinking they will automatically get first dibs, then causing drama amongst guilds)

-No guild bitching about who is going to get theirs first.

-No RNG (obviously not including the drop rates for sigils/secrets etc).

-We get small rewards throughout the quest chain.

-We get an interesting storyline.

-Everyone gets to participate.

-Time spent determines how fast/slow you get to the end and the rewards.

I love the MOP design and I hope they continue along this way.

It's called a LEGENDARY for a reason. Not EVERYONE should have it. It's fucking legendary, a legend, something most people don't even think exists. Seeing it should command some sort of respect from a player because you know how difficult it was to obtain, and you can't help but be in awe of the player. This type of thinking right here is why nothing in WoW feel special anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Another OP who hasn't played vanilla or has no clue? Vanilla/TBC doesn't make sense.

Legendaries in vanilla didn't 'just drop' , people spent weeks farming shitloads of mats and using profession cooldowns before you would be able to craft it. Which is why people whined at legendaries in TBC, like warglaives, where it only mattered that you got lucky on RNG. TBC is nothing like vanilla, you had a lot of work to do to get a legendary and needed help from a lot of people before you could craft it.
    Same with Atiesh, didn't just drop, had to collect all shards which took weeks/months ánd defeat a sick boss with your guild's 4 best other people in strat.

I vote for vanilla and not TBC. MoP is just sad, 1/2/3 people on the server should have legendaries, or 1 each guild, but not the whole damn server, might as well make it green quality.

Deleted
    WotLK, while the legendaries were class exclusives, at least I knew the guy with one had to work for it.