Poll: Your favorite design of obtaining legendaries in WoW?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really enjoyed getting Shadowmourne, I liked having to do something specific in a boss fight.

Then ofc, 24 people watching me craft it

Can't argue with MoP, as so far, it involves everyone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    MoP by far.

-No class is left out. (The amount of people I've seen suddenly re roll because they knew a Legendary was coming out for that specific class is unbelievable!- thinking they will automatically get first dibs, then causing drama amongst guilds)

-No guild bitching about who is going to get theirs first.

-No RNG (obviously not including the drop rates for sigils/secrets etc).

-We get small rewards throughout the quest chain.

-We get an interesting storyline.

-Everyone gets to participate.

-Time spent determines how fast/slow you get to the end and the rewards.

I love the MOP design and I hope they continue along this way.
    You could do all this without sacrificing the 'legendary' status. You could release gems, add a great storyline quest, etc etc, with a blue quality gem. I don't get why all of the things you listed are good reasons, you could do all of those things without killing yet another item quality (since epic is already dead since wotlk). Why give everyone and their mommas legendary,? It's supposed to be rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    While there has been far less drama, there has also been a serious loss of prestige and pride in obtaining this Legendary. The name is indicative of how it is meant to be, exclusive and amazing, not something the entire community can achieve.

I've never been about locking aspects of the game away from certain groups of players (Casual, most notably), but having Legendaries becoming the new Epic, is just leaving a sour taste in my mouth.
    I'm not sure what pride in having being lucky enough for a legendary to drop, or being lucky enough to be the class Blizzard decided was getting a Legendary, or being lucky enough to be chosen by your guild to be given the chance to own one , has to do with it.

There will be many that never reach the end of the chain, there will be many that will, but those that put more time into the game will get theres way sooner than the rest. Theres your prestige.

And I would rather have less Drama in my guild, than having one person lording about they have the first Legendary.

Deleted
    MoP model is clearly the best. No class favoritsm, no guild drama, people who put in enough effort get it. Not the one picked by the guild master through guild politics.

I like the RNG style by far

Just the adrenaline boost you get when you see that shiny legendary orange drop...

Altough I understand why people dislike it

Quote Originally Posted by Zooch View Post
    It's called a LEGENDARY for a reason. Not EVERYONE should have it. It's fucking legendary, a legend, something most people don't even think exists. Seeing it should command some sort of respect from a player because you know how difficult it was to obtain, and you can't help but be in awe of the player. This type of thinking right here is why nothing in WoW feel special anymore.
    Wheres the difficulty in RNG? Because thats pretty much how they were based before.

Legendary to me, means going on a long journey, researching and learning about a fabled Weapon that can help you defeat the bad guy. Testing yourself and being tested, until you are found worthy of wielding said weapon.

Well thats more fun and exciting that killing a boss we would kill anyway and hoping an Orange drops off his body.

MoP quest chain is long and awesome, and requires time and effort, aswell as giving you some great story. Everything I believe a Legendary should involve.

Plus everyone gets to experience it, not just a particular class.

Still want to see where it's going with legendaries in MoP, but from a casual timeconsuming point of view this is a great model, since you can go in lfr whenever you want, to get what you need.
    Also people need it enough to keep going into lfr, even after they got their gear from it, if they havn't been lucky with the lfr-drops.

Would like if they made lfr/normal versions of it, since the effort put into lfr is less than normal raids (or HCs for that matter), but that's a minor thing.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

I actually think the MoP style is the best. I like the different types of legendaries that you can get, and more accessible is a good thing. I think they could have done a lot more with it though; they could have taken inspiration from the many legendary weapons of Asian countries (e.g. Qinglong Yanyue Dao, Tonbo-giri) and had us forge our own weapons and then upgrade/temper those weapons to make them even more legendary.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-05-14 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Wheres the difficulty in RNG? Because thats pretty much how they were based before.

Legendary to me, means going on a long journey, researching and learning about a fabled Weapon that can help you defeat the bad guy. Testing yourself and being tested, until you are found worthy of wielding said weapon.

Well thats more fun and exciting that killing a boss we would kill anyway and hoping an Orange drops off his body.

MoP quest chain is long and awesome, and requires time and effort, aswell as giving you some great story. Everything I believe a Legendary should involve.

Plus everyone gets to experience it, not just a particular class.
    They were not exclusively based in RNG in Vanilla or Wrath. Op had no idea what he was talking about by grouping vanilla/tbc together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooch View Post
    They were not exclusively based in RNG in Vanilla or Wrath. Op had no idea what he was talking about by grouping vanilla/tbc together.
    No not exclusively, but they were still class specific, and in order to start them you had to obtain the RNG drop off said boss, so before you could do the quest chains associated with them, you were still dependant on RNG praying they would drop off said boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    the problem with such a model is that it would make raid weapons irrelevant across the entire expansion. bad design IMO.
    OR with each new raid, the standard weapons are slightly better and you have to grind for a while till you get the tiers-legendary upgrade making your weapon once again better than what the raid drops, but by this time you've replaced it most likely with a raid weapon for most of the progression in the raid.
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

I liked each method for what it was, but I have to say if they're going to go forward with non-lore Legendaries forever and ever amen, then I prefer the Mists method. Perhaps it's a bit "welfare" but I like the idea of building the legend of your own character over an interminably long quest line. This way you don't need some NPC to tell you why your previously-unheard-of weapon is Legendary, because you were there, you experienced it, it was your legend.

In some ways the Wrath and Cata Legendaries reflected this philosophy, but the length of the story feels too short to be a proper legend (where the lore-based weapons already came with a prepackaged story), and many of the "heroic deeds" involved also felt more like "deliberately inconveniencing your fellow adventurers for the sake of quest progression." Please let me drive the Abom even though you need my damage on oozes! Please let me get the first bite while I stand in Blood Mirror like an idiot! Please heal me through this nasty DoT because you have nothing else better to do on this fight with raidwide AoE! Please heal me as I stupidly stand in frost breath and parry-haste Sindy! I'm glad it's a personal effort now...
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Pure RNG.

Hard to defend it but it has that diablo feeling somehow. Wich is sweet.

I love the questline'y way of legendaries with Shadowmourne/Dragonwrath/Fangs of the Father/MoP and how they give you rewards as you move on either being an epic weapon or legendary enhancements.

I find it cool to have some story behind it and you working towards getting your legendary, rather than being lucky, fusing a rare item with some stuff or farming rare drops with no story behind it (TBC, Vanilla and Val'anyr respectively).

Shadowmourne is my least favorite of the 4 due to only getting progress in 25 man. But I guess 10 man back then wasn't a big deal, so... Neat with some guild teamwork during fights to empower Shadow's Edge and your standard RNG for some shards.

Dragonwrath/Fangs again suffer a bit from 25 man getting more Ember drops and all, but it's fair since more can work on it if that's what you wanna do. Love the personal challenges of going through the Nexus and sneaking around assassinating black dragons.

Gotta say MoP has to be my favorite though. RNG throughout the tiers, personal challenges in Forge scenario and 5.3 challenges, teamwork (to an extent) via BG's (though not a major fan of PvP in a PvE questline), killing an enemy general in Krasarang and surviving the add on Nalak. Sure, you don't necessarily need a guild for those (hope for BG wins, join a weekly kill for Nalak and wait till low HP and ask for help in trade or something), but it's something still. A nice mixture of personal challenge, teamwork, RNG.

The MoP way can suddenly change in 5.4, but I kinda doubt it, so MoP wins to me.

A mixture between the current system and the vanilla system would be cool, having 1 person do a chain of events collecting, it affecting the continent and somehow connected to the lore. But of course not as long chain because then it would take forever for others to get it after.

Thunderfury shouldn´t be set equal to the war glaives.

A legendary item should feel legendary. It should be really hard to get. It should require the effort of the whole guild. TF was cool, but it would be better if such a mighty weapon belonged to the guild and not to someone who might quit the game or guild the next day.

I liked the color codes in vanilla better than the new ones. What´s the deal with a blue item when it´s not better than a green item of the same ilvl? Based on this misconception legedaries aren´t legendary anymore.

Deleted
    I think that the Mists model is the best. I have - as a rogue - both Warglaives and Fangs of the Father. But I can surely say that the legendary I will get in MoP is the one I have put more effort in.

Deleted
    I like the system we have now. Working through tiers, picking up intresting items along the way.

However, having a legendary item in vanilla/tbc had more prestige due to fewer people having them.

Kinda hope/wish the final legendary weapon this expansion (if there will be any) would only be rewarded via heroic raiding. Not because heroic players should feel special, but because a legendary item should take effort. I know this won't happen though, and it will probably even be rewarded via lfr, which is a great shame.
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2013-05-14 at 12:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Mists the Best by far. The legendary story line is really good and has played a key role throughout the expansion. Plus, in Mists, you get to directly benefit from all of your work and actually get a legendary item as opposed to the other models where the item might be designated to go to someone else. The fact that essentially everyone can get a legendary item doesn't bother me in the least; for me legendary is just another quality of gear.

Gotta go with the Cataclysm method. No RNG being a huge deciding factor, but effort. I guess this is somewhat the same with WoTLK, but I like Dragonwrath most out of all legendaries. Withholding the fact that sometimes, a few less "mats" (like the Val'anyr fragments or Shadowfrost shards) would drop.

TBC must be the worst to me. Warglaives and Thori'dal don't feel special at all, as it's only based on luck and not on effort.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.