View Poll Results: Your favorite design of obtaining legendaries in WoW?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vanilla/TBC

    34 27.64%
  • Wotlk

    28 22.76%
  • Cataclysm

    13 10.57%
  • MoP

    48 39.02%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Gotta go with the Cataclysm method. No RNG being a huge deciding factor, but effort. I guess this is somewhat the same with WoTLK, but I like Dragonwrath most out of all legendaries. Withholding the fact that sometimes, a few less "mats" (like the Val'anyr fragments or Shadowfrost shards) would drop.



    TBC must be the worst to me. Warglaives and Thori'dal don't feel special at all, as it's only based on luck and not on effort.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    TBC must be the worst to me. Warglaives and Thori'dal don't feel special at all, as it's only based on luck and not on effort.
    Luck AND effort you mean? The wrath and cata model didn't really take more effort. You just got the materials dropping along side gear.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Another OP who hasn't played vanilla or has no clue? Vanilla/TBC doesn't make sense.


    Legendaries in vanilla didn't 'just drop' , people spent weeks farming shitloads of mats and using profession cooldowns before you would be able to craft it. Which is why people whined at legendaries in TBC, like warglaives, where it only mattered that you got lucky on RNG. TBC is nothing like vanilla, you had a lot of work to do to get a legendary and needed help from a lot of people before you could craft it.
    Same with Atiesh, didn't just drop, had to collect all shards which took weeks/months ánd defeat a sick boss with your guild's 4 best other people in strat.

    I vote for vanilla and not TBC. MoP is just sad, 1/2/3 people on the server should have legendaries, or 1 each guild, but not the whole damn server, might as well make it green quality.

    Yeah, Atiesh was pretty cool, and not because it's retired. I guess Thunderfury is too; not so much Hand of Rag. That said, I think it went a bit overboard on the effort. I love effort dictating whether or not you get a legendary when the content is relevant, but in vanilla, things might have been a bit TOO legendary. Things for me were just a bit -too-. It should be the will and the effort you intend to put into obtaining a legendary, not the time your life and your irl situation allows you to put into it.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  4. #44
    Pit Lord gutnbrg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Mageland
    Posts
    2,270
    wrath mixed in with a little MOP

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Luck AND effort you mean? The wrath and cata model didn't really take more effort. You just got the materials dropping along side gear.

    Eh, no. I'm excluding the fact that you had to run Black Temple and Sunwell for them (which you would probably have to do anyway) from the equation. The legendaries are pure luck, and that's a bullshit way to hand out legendaries.


    Sure if you progressed through FL, you'd get a staff too, but most guilds had to do some extra FL runs (if 10man, of course) to get their staff, than they might have normally done. That said, looking at it, you would have to do the same with TBC raids if you really wanted to obtain the legendaries, or your raid group wanted you to.


    Still, it's the main concept that is fundamentally different, which is rewarding people for being lucky in a raid they would run anyway - given that they are a progression guild, rather than the effort they put into the raid.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  6. #46
    The Patient Ranklune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    On the moon.
    Posts
    302
    Definitely WotLK, not just because I adore Ulduar and ICC very much, but also because the 2 chain-quests for the 2 legendaries felt really really epic!
    Thanks Shyama for making this AWESOME Signature, I love it!

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    Eh, no. I'm excluding the fact that you had to run Black Temple and Sunwell for them (which you would probably have to do anyway) from the equation. The legendaries are pure luck, and that's a bullshit way to hand out legendaries.


    Sure if you progressed through FL, you'd get a staff too, but most guilds had to do some extra FL runs (if 10man, of course) to get their staff, than they might have normally done. That said, looking at it, you would have to do the same with TBC raids if you really wanted to obtain the legendaries, or your raid group wanted you to.


    Still, it's the main concept that is fundamentally different, which is rewarding people for being lucky in a raid they would run anyway - given that they are a progression guild, rather than the effort they put into the raid.
    I acknowledge the fact that you had to be lucky in say tbc to get both warglaives, but it didn't take less effort either than farming materials for legendaries in wrath and cata. All you did was kill bosses, nothing else, apart from a few individual quests in cata. But as a guild effort, they're the same, with luck added in the earlier expansions.

  8. #48
    I haven't paid much attention to the 1h/staff/dagger-processes, but I think that Sulfuras and Shadowmourne were pretty epic adventures at their time. They seemed to be fairly balanced between effort and reward. I didn't get the eye from ragnaros while that dungeon was relevant though, grrrrr!
    Mother pus bucket!

  9. #49
    I quite like the MoP design. An entire expansion story, following Wrathion (and now Anduin) through Pandaria. Slowly uncovering the mystery of the last black dragon, while getting some cool legendaries that aren't just yet another weapon. I wouldn't want the MoP design for every expansion though.

    Cataclysm was one I really loved too; a long quest chain, with the occasional super difficult solo quest, but mostly about the guild banding together and getting the legendary. Then, after it all, using the guild achievement system to reward the entire guild instead of just the legendary wielder.

    Overall I'd say the Cataclysm system was best.

  10. #50
    to me, the MoP model does not feel "legendary" at all. it's a simple grind, and you can even do it in LFR (lol). i liked the old style, where legendaries dropped from the hardest bosses and your raid decided who should get the item. cataclysm model was ok, even if it was kind of similar to the actual model. but it felt better, especially with the nice solo-quest.

    but who knows, maybe we will get something cool like that in 5.4?
    Last edited by brirrspliff; 2013-05-14 at 12:39 PM.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    I acknowledge the fact that you had to be lucky in say tbc to get both warglaives, but it didn't take less effort either than farming materials for legendaries in wrath and cata. All you did was kill bosses, nothing else, apart from a few individual quests in cata. But as a guild effort, they're the same, with luck added in the earlier expansions.

    That was exactly what I meant with the quoted response. I just meant that fundamentally, the reason for being rewarded is different. Sure, it's same at base-value, because running FL enough will get you the staff and running BT enough will get you the glaives, but essentially, you were rewarded for being lucky, which is always bad design when you try to motivate people. At least, I think so.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  12. #52
    Herald of the Titans Kurgath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    2,952
    How can you say Classic and TBC had the same style of obtaining them?

    TBC had the most idiotic way of obtaining them, just hope it drops, Classic on the other hand required you to do a lot of crafting, doing a lot of stuff besides just hoping for them to drop.

    But to be honest I liked them all except TBC, I mean seriously, just get lucky enough to see it drop? WOOW really ...

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    but essentially, you were rewarded for being lucky, which is always bad design when you try to motivate people. At least, I think so.
    mh, but it's the essential model of nearly every mmo (that i know of). :-)

  14. #54
    Vanilla/TBC. I know most people on these forums didn't play back then... and probably hate the method because it forced them to run BT/SWP at level 85 lots of times....

    but the difference is the raids were very challenging back then, and so there weren't 50+ legenedaries floating around like there was during Cata (on high pop servers). And if you think Vanilla/TBC method didn't take effort that is a pretty clear sign that you didn't play back then, because there were only a handful of skilled guilds who were dedicated and good enough to clear BT/SWP/MC/old Naxx. That is the difference. It took tons of time and effort.

    While I am not the biggest fan of RNG, I certainly think giving a boss like Ra-Den a 10% chance of dropping a legendary is a ton better than "stay subscribed for 1 full year and do LFR every week, and then here is your legendary!" Blizzard is rewarding faithful subscribers who give Blizzard money, regardless of skill, with a legendary in 5.4, and it completely defeats the meaning of the item. I don't think any of the methods in any expansion has been great, but I would rather see 1-5 legendaries per server than having every single guild have 1-2 legendaries (Cata method) or having every single person on the server having a legendary (MoP method).
    Last edited by Mammoon; 2013-05-14 at 12:52 PM.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    How can you say Classic and TBC had the same style of obtaining them?

    TBC had the most idiotic way of obtaining them, just hope it drops, Classic on the other hand required you to do a lot of crafting, doing a lot of stuff besides just hoping for them to drop.

    But to be honest I liked them all except TBC, I mean seriously, just get lucky enough to see it drop? WOOW really ...
    to me, "legendary" was about the quality of the item, not the work you had to put into it. bosses drop loot - as i already said, this is the standard model of all mmos (and i like it), so i don't see a problem in this. in MoP, you grind and grind and grind. you even have to do shitty dailies and non-raid-crap to finish the quests. i don't like this.

  16. #56
    The Lightbringer Ciddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,930
    The only time I ever had a legendary when the content still mattered was Shadowmourne in Wrath (fury warrior here). I have to say that whole quest chain was fun. I like how you had to do "different" things on certain bosses to complete some of the quest objectives, and there was definitely a lot to that quest. The Shadow's Edge part where you had to feed it souls was pretty cool too. I like how you still had to "earn" Shadowmourne, but any guild that was raiding 25m normal ICC regularly could get it.

    I can't say much about how "legendary" the Vanilla legendary quest chains felt since I didn't get Sulfuras or Thunderfury til I was 85 (which kinda takes some of the "I'm proud of this because I earned it" thing away). I can't imagine how difficult those weapons were to get in Vanilla though. Even at 85, when I could solo pretty much all of the required content, it took me forever to get Thunderfury just because I ran MC every week and only had one binding for months. It was also still pretty expensive because it took a fuck ton of arcanite bars, and people who listed those on my server's AH wanted absurd amounts of gold for them.

    I didn't like BC's method of obtaining legendaries, since they were just a random boss drop (even if it was a really low drop rate). Sure, you had to have Illidan on farm status to have a chance, and that was pretty difficult before the pre-Wrath nerfs, but I don't think legendary items should be in a boss's loot table.

    Can't say much about MoP's legendaries because I only came back recently and haven't really seen how that works yet. I've done some of the Black Prince stuff but haven't read up on how that ends.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-05-14 at 02:43 PM.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    I acknowledge the fact that you had to be lucky in say tbc to get both warglaives, but it didn't take less effort either than farming materials for legendaries in wrath and cata. All you did was kill bosses, nothing else, apart from a few individual quests in cata. But as a guild effort, they're the same, with luck added in the earlier expansions.
    I have had the privilege to acquire two legendaries when it was current content in wow. Shadowmourne on my DK and Fangs of the Father on my rogue. I would have also gotten Thunderfury on my prot warrior in vanilla, but the left binding refused to drop, ever.

    Through the sheer bitterness of the binding, I despise the vanilla way of legrendary acquisition. Even though it DID bring a guild closer together, it still was greatly dependant on RNG.

    The TBC model, I have seen the legendaries drop. It was fucking aweful. Zero input from the raid, and even worse, they were so RNG that top guilds poached glaive rogues from other guilds. That was a huge problem. The guy you have glaives to? Two weeks later he is in a sunwell progression guild, get fucked.

    The WotLK model, Val'anyr was the start of the 'guaranteed' legendary in a raid. This gave the guild a surefire way to pre-decide who to give it to. It was a shame that except for that, there was nothing special to it. Yes, it was a legendary, but it was completely bland.

    Shadowmourne was WAY more fleshed out, kill a thousand undead and feed shadows edge their souls, quests to infuse your weapon with the power of your enemies, which meant you had to basically have a specific extra 'mechanic' to deal with in those fights, and the amazing locker at the end of it all, containing all the little lore tidbits and cool items for the wielder, or if he was a good sport, the guild.

    But still there was something lacking. The legendaries still had no real backstory felt by the person wielding it, because as much as the weapon, the wielder itself is a legend too.

    We arrive at cataclysm. The staff, while during a raid it's nothing more than 'pickup qitems', some parts of it required you to kill a miniboss in the raid, or to pickup flames where ragnaros dies, bell ragnaros gains a new ability if someone with the last quest engages him.

    And outside the raid, you get gifted by lore sequences, you as a player, HELP THE DRAGONS, and in the end absorb the power of Tyragosa, becoming one with the blue behemoth. If that isn't legendary in and of itself, I don't know what is.

    Fangs of the Father. In my opinion the best made legendary, and I reccommend everyone to make a rogue and at least do the first few quests at level 85. While in a raid, you just pick up items, outside it it's a completely different story.

    You as a rogue have been selected to steal back wrathions egg, the same egg that, if you did badlands, you purified, and Deathwing came and stole. You have to use caution and stealth through Ravenholdt to clear the path to the egg. After saving it, the egg hatches to reveal wrathion, a pasha-like human male. He orders you to assassinate his father's luitenants. In order to do this you need to not only transverse places like Gilneas, but you need to do it undetected, and at the end you have to assassinate a target, just like the endboss of the warlock greenfire quest, it's amazing, you do this a couple of times, and finally you kill feathwing in wrathions name, and he gifts you with the final empowerment of your daggers, making them legendary.

    This is the reason why MoP legendary questline TRUMPS ALL THE OTHERS. It doesn't matter if you only need to collect sigils of whatever in a raid itself, the scenarios, the chats, the atmosphere of the whole creation of the legendary items that make it legendary. And even though it is of lesser difficulty of lets say the Fangs of the Father quests or the Green Fire quest, the METAGEM scenario is pretty well tuned for people in the middle of lfr/normal mode gear, and gives the player a sence of actually accomplishing something legendary.

    Tl;dr: MOP > Cata >WotLK > Vanilla > TBC

  18. #58
    They could still make an epic questline, but why not just make it difficult? Getting Benedition or Lokdelar in vanilla was 1000 times more difficult than getting a legendary now. If they're going to continue down this road, they should just add a "Mythical" item status and have those be ridiculously hard to get. But then self-entitled people would complain about that too.

  19. #59
    Warchief Velshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    One with the Light
    Posts
    2,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Another OP who hasn't played vanilla or has no clue? Vanilla/TBC doesn't make sense.


    Legendaries in vanilla didn't 'just drop' , people spent weeks farming shitloads of mats and using profession cooldowns before you would be able to craft it. Which is why people whined at legendaries in TBC, like warglaives, where it only mattered that you got lucky on RNG. TBC is nothing like vanilla, you had a lot of work to do to get a legendary and needed help from a lot of people before you could craft it.
    Same with Atiesh, didn't just drop, had to collect all shards which took weeks/months ánd defeat a sick boss with your guild's 4 best other people in strat.

    I vote for vanilla and not TBC. MoP is just sad, 1/2/3 people on the server should have legendaries, or 1 each guild, but not the whole damn server, might as well make it green quality.

    Please don't jump to conclusion and no need to be rude...(hard to be respectful these days it seems) yes I played vanilla thank you and I gave two examples of two legendary drops I'm talking about the first step to obtain it which is pure RNG you can't deny that. I didn't include the quests afterward because I was talking about the first step of obtaining them.

  20. #60
    The Lightbringer Zuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,452
    I don't care so much for the legendaries themselves, but I hated how I missed some good lore content previously. MoP's model of availability for everyone is what I dig.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •