Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I have read every response in this thread....I have not seen one (maybe I missed one?) about the (possible) "who cares about lore"....I have been playing this game since 08 and I am no way an expert on Wow but I have to be honest when you are playing your toon pvp or pve do you really care about the backstory? seems to many ppl care about their toon being fotm...gear...spells...glyphs...professions....need proof? there are more posts about these items than the lore forum section. Also, since 2008 that I have played I have met thousands of players, Hundreds I have spent on vent or skype with playing weeks or months with and only a handful honestly care about lore. They mostly want better looking gear, pets, pvp, or clearing a dungeon where some dragon or weird looking thing spews fire to not stand in...and there inlays the problem I believe. If they came up with a fictitious mob for us to destroy oput of nowhere that did exciting groundbreaking new things and got a stronghold on PvP better before they released it instead of the same old things would it matter? no bc the game is no longer the same ol...We now have 90 levels of the same ol leave those and try something new imo....I am not saying I am right or wrong just a third side of the arguement is all.

WoW will never get past 10 million subs again.

I could stand to fight some demons again. Though honestly I don't really mind which way they take it, since it seems to have been in a pretty positive direction most of the time (barring execution errors which are always gonna be problems with any company). Even Cataclysm, which largely I did not enjoy - I at least appreciated it for what it was, and found the story and non-dragon soul raids to be entertaining.

Man I loved that Firelands teaser trailer.

That's really not that impressive. The guy didn't part the red sea... It was the propulsion system from the space craft that parted the red sea. So just a typical day in the middle east. Oh and I don't think this game will reach 9 million again. I just read all the blue posts about the dead realms and it makes me sick to see the same old repeated garbage for the past 3 years. So due to this I have canceled my wow account last week and prolly for the last time.
    Last edited by soaked; 2013-05-12 at 06:09 AM. Reason: ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    For WoW fans who still love and play it, it will be great. I'm one of them and I'm very excited.

But for those who left you won't bring them back with even less known or total new lore. For them the game peaked and ended with the death of the Lich King since that was the theme of Warcraft 3:The Frozen Throne. Even Cataclysm was just an useless afterthought for them and Pandas a joke. Those who left are very conservative ones, not open to new ideas. They have strong ideas what WoW is and has to be. Anything really new is not welcome. So no, the game will not get 11 million subs with a new expansion.
    Um, I'm one of the people who quit. And for me, WarCraft 2 was the 'main game' of the franchise. So Deathwing was important to me, even though they implemented him really poorly to the game. Right now, I'm looking forward to the return of Turalyon and Alleria.
    "Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out farther than the brim of his shady hat.

Author of: Mount 2.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)
    Author of: World Enhancement Patch 1.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Um, I'm one of the people who quit. And for me, WarCraft 2 was the 'main game' of the franchise. So Deathwing was important to me, even though they implemented him really poorly to the game. Right now, I'm looking forward to the return of Turalyon and Alleria.
    Agreed Wc2 is the best of all the games, WC3 is like MoP for WC2, nobody knew about what was going on and it was all new, but surprisingly it became "The best story of all time" in wotlk.

Maybe if they make a WC4 and make it about MoP it will also be the greatest RTS they ever made. But in all seriousness the next expansion should be awesome, but most people are pretty much set on it being about the Burning Legion and Sargeras, but that cannot be, after Sargeras there is even less than Azeroth after MoP.

There needs to be the emerald dream, or else the continuation of the battle against the old gods or go to Argus or Xoroth, but I can't see them going straight to the "End boss" now.

I'd like to think Blizzard is going to pull out all the stops come next expansion, and if it really is the Burning Legion, that may garner some (or a lot) interest from older players again as well. They talked about wanting to get older players back, so maybe that is somewhat of a hint that they're going to look at older expansions, see what worked and throw it in. Who knows. Subs did increase when Mists of Pandaria was released, though not by much if I recall. I predict subs will increase again come next expansion. The big question is, how much? I think it's a given there will be even more subs lost as the current expansion winds down. We shall see though. As long as Blizzard continues to release content and expansions and puts effort into them like they did with Mists of Pandaria, it's all good. It's a combination of a lot of things as to why they've lost so many subs, but, you learn from it. IMO, as I said already, they really will have to pull out all the stops next expansion.

i dont consider MOP as an xpac same as the others,
    MOP is an offshot from the traditional way of making wow xpacs.
    you might even consider it to be an activision xpac not blizz.

its a clear commercial attempt to combine the old brew master one time hidden in a bonus campaign in wc3 concept with the wave of the commercial success of the eastern martial arts animated comedy movies such as kong fu panda and mulan .

anyone who doesnt see it as a commercial attempt to ride that success is deluded.
    the very cinematic of that xpac is a pure shame showing a panda monk with a wooden stick put to shame easly while chewing a straw 2 warriors with goofy looks upon the faces .

its a pure invitation for the feeble minded to come and see the new god mode race/class and buy the product,
    a technique blizz never applied to any past new races or classes including the mighty DKS at the time, blizz never introduced them on the back of previous classes/races .

and for the sake of that xpac they made up an island filled with beer , fat short leged pandas, farms and giant rats , bunnies , snails , worms and talking fish , talking monkeys and talking insects.

if one wc3 hidden hero class deserve an xpac ,by that logic i want the next xpac to be all about rexxar and his half ogres race.
    'nuff said

Considering I've liked each expansion less than the previous one (overall, not necessarily lore-wise) I'd have to disagree. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Unlikely to ever top 10m again, imo. Too many factors that have nothing to do with the quality of the gameplay/lore/mechanics ... it's just too old, and it'll never have its previous upward momentum. I could see an amazing xpac sustaining at around 9mil for a couple quarterly reports in a row, but that's probably unrealistic even.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by syphonlife View Post
    I have read every response in this thread....I have not seen one (maybe I missed one?) about the (possible) "who cares about lore"
    Funny, most of the people I've met / played with do care about the lore.

Either way we're talking at most hundreds/thousands out of the millions total. We don't have proper perspective.

But I know when I stop playing WoW I'll still be following the story.
    --
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Toy Train Set has been temporarily disabled.

Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    There a tons of people who dislike something because of a theme.
    Yeah, but the color of the car doesn't make it undrivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanochan View Post
    Yeah, but the color of the car doesn't make it undrivable!
    Nor does the theme of an expansion make it unplayable.
    Send me a PM and suggest a forum avatar based on my title, Immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Nor does the theme of an expansion make it unplayable.
    It does potentially make it unappealing though.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Story-wise it will have to be epic. They'll ace it I'm sure. Gameplay wise that will be my own incentive to return, I want to see how they change the gameplay to be more interesting for casuals such as myself. I'm running low on my favorite veggie, the carrot on a stick!

Ps. Aesthetics like character models will be a huge boost to incentive, however, will it retain the returners? Gameplay will do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I seriously doubt people are leaving because they don't like Asian themes. Pandaria is beautiful.
    It's not the theme itself, but rather how it's presented and how the game was presented. After fighting dragons and undead, look at the trailer, it presents it like a peaceful land full of pandaren. And in-game it's filled with stereotypes mixed with real myths. It just comes out as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    It's not the theme itself, but rather how it's presented and how the game was presented. After fighting dragons and undead, look at the trailer, it presents it like a peaceful land full of pandaren. And in-game it's filled with stereotypes mixed with real myths. It just comes out as bad.
    LIke BC had poo jokes. Outland sucks is one of my fav but Outland sucks came after you had seen a giant magtheridon and gone through the dark portal and were all up in this serious demon killing questing experience. Poo jokes are everywhere in mists but mists isn't serious enough to make a poo joke really funny. The juxtaposition is lacking for that kind of humor in mists.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I still think the Theme is the reason why people are leaving.
    Tons of people dislike Mists of Pandaria on first sight.

Let's hope the subs will ever go up again. WoW doesn't deserve to 'die' this way.
    It won't die, on the contrary.

Let me explain. When you have 2 close to equal companies providing the same services with similar numbers of people under their care, you have competition. Both companies will innovate as fast as they can to not only not lose their people, but to also get the people from the other side.
    That's the whole thing, WoW has had a monopoly of the MMO genre for a long time, and it made them not innovate anymore, in Cataclysm they didn't even do much content even... so them going down in numbers to about... 5 million or so, is good. Why? Because this way other companies can reach them.
    Right now GW2 is doing good, and there's some other interesting MMOs coming, each with their own improvements. If Blizzard will see itself losing people, they will start trying to do something, and when I say "do something" I don't mean try to trick people into an annual pass, that wasn't a great idea. I mean actually bringing new things into WoW, innovating and bringing some of their own, and the game will actually start to feel "new" in some ways, and not just a project where Blizzard tries to just stop leaks with as little effort as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nWoMATT125 View Post
    ok few thing the 1.3 million sub lost was in china
    What you wrote there is a lie. Please don't lie.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

If it had anything to do with Azshara and Oceans I would hate to play it. Please no more underwater levels.

The next expansion needs some type of long term character progression system once people reach level cap. And I don't mean the never ending gear grind. That formula is old and tired.