Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Google Glass - will it be a revolution? [Discussion]

This is not a discussion concerning if Google Glass will be a success or not, but rather if the concept will end up being 'the next big thing'. Rumors have it that Apple and Samsung are both looking into a head-worn device that they may or may not release in the future and Google will certainly develop their glasses further.

Given, the concept of VR/AR glasses needs to mature (the technology in general needs work, issues need fixing, dilemmas and ethical repercussions addressed) and the audience will have to be eased into the experience, but do you think head-work devices that balance real-life with our online/tech interactivity is going to become common-place?

Said it in the last thread on google glass the concept is a good one but i will wait until we can just do it by embedding a chip into our skull and eye; assuming that comes in our lifetime.

Deleted
    I see two realistic issues with embedding chips into our skulls/eyes:
    1. People will be extremely cautious about this and it will take a long time to convince the general public to do such a procedure. I think chip-technology will be long gone before we reach this point.
    2. As technology is developed further, technology is developed further (duh) and made more powerful. People most certainly would not like to embed a new chip in their skulls/eyes every year, even with minimal risk.

I don't see it happening. The cyborg-concept will remain sci-fi, at least in our life-time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the knee jerk reaction about 'pervs' using them in a bad way, but what about the potential good? You don't have to whip out a phone to record a crime, or what not, and having the potential for millions of 'security cameras' walking the streets, as opposed to the few that are in fixed locations in stores could possibly cut down on crimes.

But, it is very late for me, and I am rambling and tired, and possibly way off topic.

It doesn't do anything my cell phone can't. The only difference is that I can look up and straight ahead while doing them and I'll have both hands free. But I still have to have my phone with me and have to wear that nerdy thing on the side of my head. Not worth it imo. If it catches on it will be funny to see everyone looking up and to the right all the time. So much potential to to see people walking into street signs.

Once technology has developed far enough, devices like Google Glass will replace current smartphones since it takes care of the same need a mobile phone does except it's less intrusive to use. Smartphones are getting out of hands quite literally with the increasing screen size and resolution, and Glass has the perfect opportunity to fix that problem once and for all.

That's my bet on it at least.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Already banned in my workplace, so won't stand a chance there, plus I really don't want to look like a tit at all times.

I wouldn't let anyone in my house with them, I don't want Google to know everything about my life, where I live, what's in my house. They already get enough from my e-mails.

I personally think it will fail, the effect on personal or even corporate privacy of them is horrendous.

I do think they will be banned for use whilst driving, people get distracted by them and crash into something, or run someone over.

The price would also need to come down, aren't they about $1000 a pop currently?
    Last edited by mmoc294ed7b9d9; 2013-05-11 at 12:34 PM.

I think the concept will become the next big thing. But they need to get rid of voice-control, it's way too clunky. They need to invest in brainwaves NAO!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the idea will eventually happen, but not for a long time. I can see it being like VR and 3d, good ideas but not managing to make it main stream yet.

I also look forward to seeing people walking into lamp posts.

I personnaly see the usage of this, having notification of all kind directly in what you are seeing could really be amazing. I think they may kill smartphones, but probably not when they will be realeased, they will have too much problems or unclear things. (Voice control, poor battery life).

I know they are already banned from many places, but I don't think it will stop the popularity of those glasses.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

Nah, it's a small evolutionary step. I can't imagine it taking off the way smartphones did, but it might push the industry towards a more direct interface option.
    The voice command control is way to clunky for it to take off. People still prefer to put things in manually, rather than talk to Siri / equivalent, at least in public.

The language support for any other language but english will probably be terrible on the first generation of glasses, untill people can talk in their native languages it'll be terrible hard to sell in smaller countries.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Quote Originally Posted by raze664 View Post
    I personally think it will fail, the effect on personal or even corporate privacy of them is horrendous.
    Exactly this. Think of all the places where some creepy dude with a camcorder would be told to stop recording shit. I can't see ANY business allowing this from the amount of potential lawsuits, as well as any other establishment that has customers (restaurants, clubs, etc etc).

I think it will just be a niche gadget with some good uses, like maybe staying connected while you are out fishing or hunting, but I don't expect to ever see them wherever I go.
    Last edited by Lefrog; 2013-05-11 at 12:57 PM.

I think it will be a niche product for a significant period of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I decide to get one, I'll try and made it look like a Scouter from Dragon Ball Z!

I might try and make it work like one too. I look at Someone and I can see their power level!

I do think they will be banned for use whilst driving, people get distracted by them and crash into something, or run someone over.
    Not only that, what about the people that will walk out into a busy road without thinking to look because they are watching a video or reading a blog?

I don't think so. We already use carkits and navigation systems, those aren't banned either.

This concept has a future, but it definitely needs some refining. Don't think we will see regular use of glasses like these in the next decade or two to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Not only that, what about the people that will walk out into a busy road without thinking to look because they are watching a video or reading a blog?
    Just like the people who watch movies on their phones right now?

no

it will flop

the interface isn't intuitive enough or integrated enough. PLus it will be to expensive for 'every one' to have one.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Just like the people who watch movies on their phones right now?
    People don't walk around watching a movie on their phone. Google Glass, on the other hand, would encourage that kind of behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    People don't walk around watching a movie on their phone. Google Glass, on the other hand, would encourage that kind of behaviour.
    Why would it encourage?
    Open windows don't encourage people to jump out, cars being able to go faster than the speed limit also aren't a problem, and do you see people intentionally jumping in front of trains? Almost nobody puts himself in a dangerous situation like that just because they can.

-edit- And the people who would, would do it anyway even if it was forbidden.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2013-05-11 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there is a "skin" for Google Glass to look like a scouter from DBZ... you better fucking believe I will buy it