Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    What if Aethas knew what he was doing all along, and actually meant to achieve this outcome? What if he wanted Jaina to take Dalaran to the Alliance side, and purposefully implicated the Sunreavers in Garrosh's scheme in order to make that happen? And now he's clamming up about it in order to maintain the integrity of his gambit.
    All this mess for...what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    well all things fear death
    No matter how much bravado and courage they throw out, everyone fears death
    Yeah but death itself is a thing, Ishi fears death because he don't know where his spirit will go after his body lays cold. Normally we don't even know if the orcs belive in an good or bad afterlife at all, most of the times they just talk of their ancestors.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2013-05-13 at 12:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I assume we all read Tides of War, if Aethas didn't betray Dalaran and Lor'themar also claims innocence, then who? There's only one other horde leader who could influence the Sunreavers to betray the Dalaran and that's Sylvanas, which from what we know she neither was interested in attacking Theramore nor wanted to start a pointless war against the alliance on a large scale.

Though I suspect that the rogue element in the equation is serving a higher villain than Garrosh and goes beyond the tension between the two factions, who ever is behind this is merely manipulating key figures to fan the flames to server their own end.

From the beginning Garrosh really wasn't interested in taking the Theramore, he just wanted to leave a mark of dominance by making a terrifying example of Theramore and the whole operation was done from the air.

So I'm with with those who weaving the conspiracy theory web in favor of Burning Legion or Kael'Thas Sunstrider.

I have a strong feeling that the next expansion will be about Burning Legion's return and probably Illidan and Kael will be there as well.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

Aethas being Kael'thas would be a really interesting development

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfie1d View Post
    I have a strong feeling that the next expansion will be about Burning Legion's return and probably Illidan and Kael will be there as well.
    pretty sure Kael is as dead as can be

---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poochy View Post
    total mind-blown moment
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Poochy View Post
    More a joke than a development.

My two cents,

Aethas did what he did because he believed that Dalaran and the Kirin Tor would stay neutral. He may have believed he could control Garrosh and the Horde be aiding them in their weapon program, but he just lost control over the situation and, for his shame, got caught.

But in LoLore Metzen WoW, we will probably find out that Aethas is _______(dead/prisioner), and in his place is ___________(insert random demon from the Burning Legion).

Ohh, that isnt new, happened in WCIII and with the Scarlet Crusade.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Onyxia ? And for which insane reason in the universe should be Onyxia instead of Deathwing? For the mess in vanilla? It's ridicolus.
    Ridiculous that a high ranking noble and the archbishop could meet? That Onyxia may have wanted him corrupted? I fail to see your objection.

We don't know how, when, where or why Benedictus was corrupted. Onyxia, however, had access, means and opportunity enough to have him setup and working for the TH.

Personally i don't think he's a traitor. For me the sole speculation about the "uncomfortable" stuff is nonsense.
    Its not just that....the devs have dropped a couple of vague hints that do seem to indicate there is more going on.

This is a sligthly better scenario, but have some flaws. First, while it is not a solid prove, i found Aethas extremely calm and convincing when he answered to Jaina.
    That's an opinion and unreliable. For example, I found him very smarmy in that scene, and could almost see the "I know something you don't" smile on his face. I cam out of that feeling like he did have something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    The biggest red flag is why he wouldn't just admit what really happened to Theron IMO. Even if he helped Garrosh for whatever reason, I'm sure Theron would protect him and deal with the hand they've been dealt; they're already preparing to move against Garrosh on the IoT. But evidently he's keeping it to himself, and chances are it won't end well for him.
    Which COULD tie in with the "He's covering for someone else" theory. He knows the rot went deeper than he thought - but if it (to keep with the example) Rommath behind it all for some reason, how willing would he be to unmask him given the harm is unlikely to be undone? Would he be willing to ruin Rommaths reputation and legacy?

Could Rommath be a Garrosh loyalist? Could he see Garrosh as a way to enact revenge upon the Alliance? He already blames the Kirin Tor for what Garithos did....and they weren't in any position to object, even if they were there. Could his hate be so great he is willing to aid Garrosh?

I'm not sure I'd buy that...he seems more inclined to aid his people...but I don't suppose it could be ruled out if Aethas does indeed know more than he is letting on. And in some ways I like the theory. But, right now, we don't even know if Aethas is guilty or if Blizzard will follow up on this hint. They didn't follow up on the hints they drop wrt Sylvanas and the Wrathgate, they didn't follow up wrt Thrall and the badge and there are several other such plot points (if you can call them that) they haven't followed up on. At least yet.

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-05-13 at 02:00 AM.

We DO get an explanation for bennedictus. Not a very detailed one, but he says "I looked into the eyes of the dragon and despaired." This most likely occurred when Deathwing attacked Stormwind.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    We DO get an explanation for bennedictus. Not a very detailed one, but he says "I looked into the eyes of the dragon and despaired." This most likely occurred when Deathwing attacked Stormwind.
    even the most holy of man can be piss-ass-scared by a giant armored dragon
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

It's quite possible that Aethas wanted to see the Divine Bell himself, and helped make the mission into Darnassus happen. He does not directly involve himself, but he was party to it. Now he feels guilty over what has happened, but unwilling to admit he had a hand in it.

That's what I took away from the scene. It's one of those few moments where the writing is actually compelling, making you wonder about what is going through a character's mind given their actions.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Yes. And he then sought out, found, joined, and rose to a top position in an already established organisation in months.

All it says is he looked into the eyes of the dragon and despaired. It doesn't say which dragon. Why not Onyxia? She would have be a round him for months. He'd have had years to be in the TH and establish himself, not months. He'd have had years to infiltrate his own people into Stormwind.

I'm not seeing any reason to discount Onyxia as the sourec of Benedictus's downfall.

EJL

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Yes. And he then sought out, found, joined, and rose to a top position in an already established organisation in months.
    why should that be surprising? He is a powerful man with powerful influences

Yeah. I man, Jaina was an apprentice, then wasn't part of Dalaran for years, and suddenly became its leader. Thrall became the leader of the Earthen Ring in cata despite not being part of the group before. Tirion didn't do anything with the Argent Dawn in vanilla but shows up and leads the new Argent Crusade in Wrath. This is far from the only time someone's had a quick rise to power in WoW.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 10:44 PM ----------

As for Onyxia, when would he have seen Onyxia as a dragon? Why would seeing HER eyes make him despair as opposed to the insane dragon tearing up the city? Sure, you could say it MIGHT be Onyxia but I think there's a stronger case for Deathwing.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So were others in the TH at the time. Plans would already be in motion, events would already have been triggered when Deathwing rose. Plans he would know nothing about, and in which he would have had no part in creating. His joining the TH would have been a coup, certainly....but would he really have been able to rise so far so fast and displace so many others?

No - its not impossible. But isn't it more likely that he had a sponsor? A dragon who corrupted him? Took him in. Sponsored him and put him in a position of power from where he could influence events over the course of years? How many officers and other members of the TH did he smuggle into the Stormwind? How long would it have taken them to earn their way into guarding the King? How long were the rituals underneath the Cathedral going on? Posisbly months, especiallyw ith help. I would suggest years is more liekly - which makes his likely corruptor Onyxia, and not Deathwing.

EJL

What's so unrealistic about him rising to a high position in the cult so quickly? ... did you do the Mt. Hyjal quests at all?

Not to mention if they got someone as powerful and influential as Benedictus in the ranks, you can damn well bet he had a high position regardless. You don't hire blue chips and then make them warm the bench.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    So were others in the TH at the time. Plans would already be in motion, events would already have been triggered when Deathwing rose. Plans he would know nothing about, and in which he would have had no part in creating. His joining the TH would have been a coup, certainly....but would he really have been able to rise so far so fast and displace so many others?

No - its not impossible. But isn't it more likely that he had a sponsor? A dragon who corrupted him? Took him in. Sponsored him and put him in a position of power from where he could influence events over the course of years? How many officers and other members of the TH did he smuggle into the Stormwind? How long would it have taken them to earn their way into guarding the King? How long were the rituals underneath the Cathedral going on? Posisbly months, especiallyw ith help. I would suggest years is more liekly - which makes his likely corruptor Onyxia, and not Deathwing.

EJL
    Who is to say those people were with the Twilights for a long time though? A lot of people were swayed over to the Twilight's Hammer without having been evil for years. Is there even any lore that suggests Onyxia was tied to the twilights? If anything, back in vanilla they seemed to be at war. Or at the very least, the twilights hammer had representatives in blackrock depths and Ragnaros and Nefarian were at war. It wasn't until Cata we saw an alliance between the black flight and twilights.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 11:27 PM ----------

What's so unrealistic about him rising to a high position in the cult so quickly? ... did you do the Mt. Hyjal quests at all?

Not to mention if they got someone as powerful and influential as Benedictus in the ranks, you can damn well bet he had a high position regardless. You don't hire blue chips and then make them warm the bench.
    Heck, the player can become the creme of the crop of recruits and gain honors within hours during the Hyjal quests. Bennedictus is powerful, has great influence, cunning, and in WoW main characters just have a tendency to rise in the ranks quickly, like the examples I listed earlier.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    not to mention that the Alliance and the Horde royally fucked up the Twilight Cult ranks, so they had a large amount of vacant positions that needed to be filled

not to mention that the Alliance and the Horde royally fucked up the Twilight Cult ranks, so they had a large amount of vacant positions that needed to be filled
    This is very true. By the time the Thrall: Twilight of Aspects novel and 4.2 patches were out, even Cho'gall was dead.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who says that Rommath is a Garrosh loyalist doesn't understand his character. Rommath was extremely loyal to Kael'thas and when the time came to decide between his Prince and his People he chose the latter. Nothing else can make Rommath betray his people not power, prestige or promises for more then what he already is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    It's quite possible that Aethas wanted to see the Divine Bell himself, and helped make the mission into Darnassus happen. He does not directly involve himself, but he was party to it. Now he feels guilty over what has happened, but unwilling to admit he had a hand in it.

That's what I took away from the scene. It's one of those few moments where the writing is actually compelling, making you wonder about what is going through a character's mind given their actions.
    The Bell was already Dalaraans property. Thats why Jaina and Kirin Tor was there. They where guarding the Bell. Alliance had no interest in Bell and gave it to Dalaraan (thats the only explanation I find). So if Aethas wanted to see the Bell he should have just waited for few more hours.
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!