View Poll Results: Would you welcome a 40 or 20 person raid group?

Voters
201. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I'd love to go back to huge raids

54 26.87%
  • No, I like the current sizes

100 49.75%
  • I would like even smaller raid sizes

38 18.91%
  • I don't raid and have no interest in changes

9 4.48%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would you welcome a 40/20 raid set up?

The title say it all.

Edit:

How about a bonus boss of the expansion being the only 40 person boss. Of course the carrot would be legendary gear or something like that uniqueness. Also the boss would be available to only the server so no lfr. Guilds would have to team up like the old days (ermahgerd he's talking about socializing with new people).

Here's my idea it would be a separate raid entirely and it's just 1 boss like an onyxia type raid. The raid would have difficult trash packs with unique abilities like the TK trash that required cc and off tanking and the final boss fight would require vashj like coordination with a little muru thrown in there.

All the players could see all the content in the current lfr system and kill all bosses of the expansion. They would get everything except the bonus boss.

Remember I am advocating 1 and only 1 raid boss to be a 40 man boss.
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2013-05-11 at 11:17 PM.

Not if I had to organize it

What is YOUR opinion, OP?

No. I don't like 25m as it is, making 20m the smallest raid would definitely make me quit WoW.

Deleted
    40 man raids ? sure as long as the raids supported them, and you didnt have 15-20 people doing all the work and the rest AFK / Slacking.

Would also need to have a realm merger or two to facilitate 40 man raiding as its hard enough on low pop realms to get a 25 man raid team, never mind a 40 man one.

No. Smaller raid sizes, as proven over the years, are the preference of the players anyways, often only doing the larger sizes because they absolutely had to.

25m works but is still declining. If you were to kill 10m raiding, you would see a looottt of people leaivng.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

I'd love to go back to 40 mans. I think any raid under 20 dilutes the epic feeling a little. For example, I felt more accomplished doing 25 LK than defeating him on 10 man.

Also assuming you didn't have to organize it, what is your opinion?

I'd like 10 mans to go to 15 and 25m to stay at 25.

The only 25 man guilds that could have the people and recruit enough for a 40m raid setup would be successful heroic raiding guilds.

In short 20 man.

40 man raids were fun back in Vanilla when they mostly consisted of one big zerg fest comprised of relatively new players (excluding AQ and Naxx) however they would be hell to manage and complete now fights have real mechanics and demand much higher coordination.

It's personal preference and experience but I always liked 20 man raids my guild would have progressed through heroics much quicker if raids were 20 man rather than 25 as we always seem to have just a few players who can't cope with avoiding deathly stuff on heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    I'd love to go back to 40 mans. I think any raid under 20 dilutes the epic feeling a little. For example, I felt more accomplished doing 25 LK than defeating him on 10 man.

Also assuming you didn't have to organize it, what is your opinion?
    If I didn't have to be in charge of it I wouldn't mind it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not really. I would be up for 40-man scenarios though against world bosses or even specially-instanced old raid bosses. It seems to me that would be easy enough to setup and do. Can always be wrong though but I'd queue up for something like that in a heartbeat.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    I prefer the 10/25 man raids as they are .

By the way , I'd love it if in the next expansion Blizz introduced one-boss instances that required 40 people instead of world bosses that we have now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine as is imho
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

I voted yes but it's more that they should make 20mans the progression size and 40mans the ezmoad/LFR size/WB size. I'm tired of having two different sizes because 10 and 25 are so damn different that you can't even really compare them anymore.

It would kill off low-pop servers entirely. And I am on one, so not in favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    It would kill off low-pop servers entirely. And I am on one, so not in favour.
    Merging servers would correct that and realistically many servers do need to be merged.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

Just look at his name and previous posts

I like them perfectly as it is. 40m would be a nightmare to organize and would only result in simplified mechanics because of only a fraction of players would even be able to complete it

the only change they can make to raiding that would actually help is to make raids scale anywhere from 10 to 25. of course there are challenges to this, but at the moment guilds have the issue of needing 10 people to raid, which requires running a roster of say 15 to ensure you always have enough. which leaves people sitting on the sidelines.

from an organisational viewpoint, knowing that you can alway fit everyone into a raid would help people trying to run raiding guilds, imo.

while they were at it, they could add "spectator" mode. so that if one person was struggling to get used to the mechanics, they could step out for a run or two and watch what was happening from the sidelines, giving them a chance to improve their understanding without pressure.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

The last thing WoW needs right now is backtracking, while 40 man raids worked back then, it's outdated now. While I do love the epic feel of being so many and hate the feel of being so few in 10 man, I remember how hard it was for raid leaders to lead 40 people to victory back in the days, wouldn't want to go back to that. As for 20 man, 10 man is easier to lead and organize, while I'd be in support of 10 man going away, that's only because of selfish reasons, and that wouldn't help the game in the big image.

10+ Year Old Account
    nope , either leave as it is or make 1 size fits all , like 15 man , easier to balance numbers, loot , dificulty , whatever

Considering the hardware this game has to run on, I'd say that current raids with 40 people would be pretty hellish for some folks. (whether it's my pc or some other issue for example, popping stampede in LFR Lei Shen drops me to about 2fps ).

On the other hand, I'd be keen on the idea of the final boss of any expansion being a 40 man encounter. It certainly would have made sense in DS.