Thread: Am I weird ?

Am I weird ?

A lot of old school players have been praising the Vanilla/BC times and saying those times were superior in many ways. These players are often accused of being "nostalgic" by some other players.

I am one of the old school guys who think Vanilla/BC times were the best times. And I always thought the "nostalgia" word was a cheap argument some people were hiding behind when they had nothing better to say. You can see a lot of those posts have nothing else in them. They either say it is all "nostalgia" or call for the moderators to close the thread and ban that poster or both.

Then one day, I thought "Hey I must test this. What if they have a point!?!?". So I went and found some private servers to play Vanilla/BC times. And boy have I been enjoying it!!! And this is despite the fact that private servers are not performing very well, disconnects and lags etc. Of course they don't have Blizzard's resources. That is the only problem, and unfortunately it is a big one.

Long story short, no it is not nostalgia. Not for me at least. The number one thing I noticed I missed from those times is the feeling of being in a world with comrades and foes and adventures. Today's WoW has been dumbed down so much and the community turned into such cesspool that it lost that feeling.

I can't help but think and ask, am I weird ?
    They know how to milk the cow.

10+ Year Old Account
    No your not weird, its that simple.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

I read the title and before I opened the thread I decided yes you are weird. You're a gamer we are all weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alba007 View Post
    I can't help but think and ask, am I weird ?
    It is ok to have an opinion. What you need to realise is that you're in a minority. And that in no circumstances you should attempt to force other players (who are the majority) to go back to those times, like some posters tend to suggest on those forums.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Nostalgia is often used correctly in describing it, because players will often ignore the worst that vanilla wow brought to the table.
    What made the encounters memorable was an artificial grind needed to progress to that part, and some often horrible mechanics.
    Take the resistance mechanics, and class/spec stacking necessary.
    Too many specs being simply unfeasible in all but niche content, and some being mandatory in specific encounters.
    Resistance gear farming which added nothing but a straight up damage reduction.

The surprise of new encounters is ruined by the tonne of information sources out there, not by anything blizzard did.
    If you want to go into an encounter blind, then I am sure you can avoid much of the information out there.
    Just most players do not, even those who complain about how "easy" the game is, when they are swatting up on a boss before-hand.
    Boss Mods have been around since vanilla in some form, whether it be a stopwatch on a desk or an addon, selected mechanics were already that predictable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing on a old server and liking it doesn't automatically negate the nostalgia argument. I could go back and Mario 64 and still think its a great game, that doesn't necesarily mean that it was the best one and that all others after it are shit. BC and Vanilla had it's highs and it's lows, just like Wrath, Cata and MoP, the only problem is when people make threads all about the good stuff in Vanilla and BC and leave out all the bad times. The only place where the first two iterations were perfect is your mind, I'm sorry to say.

Long story short, yes, a lot of it is nostalgia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    Burning Crusade as a hunter:

steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot *counts in head* autoshot steady shot
    Need a few Arcane and Multishots inbetween and you're all set

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alba007 View Post
    the community turned into such cesspool that it lost that feeling.
    It's always been a cesspool, you just realize it now because of the growth of the game.

10+ Year Old Account

Derp.
    Yeah, I was a BM Hunter for most of BC and I don't remember it being that bad. Then again I never try to "maximize" my numbers in an imaginary world in a video game. :P

@the OP: No, people are just stupid. You're not weird, you just remember when this game was hard and earning something MEANT something other than being "shiny".

Dunno about dumbed down.. My rotation back in TBC as a moonkin was basically slap an Improved Faerie Fire up, keep Insect Swarm up and spam Starfire till dead. Maybe throw a combat rez into the bargain.

As a moonkin now I have a whole lot more to keep track of.

Just remember just because alot of things we knew from vanilla/TBC have been condensed down doesn't mean the game as a whole has been dumbed down, they have given us more options than ever to suit a whole variety of people.

I was a really active player in TBC, that was my raiding days, and I loved it, but I was younger and had alot more time to plow into the game. Now I am all grown up, with different responsibilities, and a job that doesn't suit your average *raid schedule*. So while I loved TBC and it was always be -my- favourite expansion from a *nostalgia* perspective due to the above, I also realise that the game had had to evolve and I have embraced those changes because they fit my life now. Instead of me trying to fit my life around WoW.

You aren't weird, you like what you like, but you have to understand things change, as do the people that play.

-snip-
    And as a warlock all you did was spam shadow bolt. So complex right?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only is discussion of private severs not allowed here, but there is little purpose to this thread.