1. #1

    Profession overhaul similar to SKYRIM!

    For all the awe inspiring scenery and immersion, one thing that I loved about Skyrim was the depth to its professions. It may just be that I've not played too many RPGs or MMOs, but Skyrim surely has one of the best crafting models seen yet.

    Each Profession is unique and as you progress higher up the talent tree, provides unique benefits and passive bonuses.

    For example, Blacksmiths can improve their own armour twice as much. So someone that didn't level Blacksmithing didn't have access to that tool. Also you could craft your very own Daedric Armour. Sure you can find it all over Skyrim the higher your level, but to be able to craft your own armour is pretty cool. And it isn't an easy thing as well. There is a lot of farming required so again there are rewards for choosing a particular profession.

    Then lets take Enchanting. I loved the whole soul shard thing going on in the game. Not only can you learn new recipes by dis-enchanting current weapon with enchantments, but then you have to go out and trap a soul to enchant the next piece of gear. Then as you progress up the tree, your enchantments get passive bonuses. You can even add two enchantments on an item after being fully trained.

    Alchemy too is very well done. But it stands well if you have Herbalism.

    But you get what I am trying to say. Each profession has so much depth that it isn't just another stat stick. There is so much more you can do with them specifically.

    Professions currently in WoW have lost all meaning and purpose. Sure its a good gold making tool, but it doesn't really engage you.

    What the game could do with is a complete overhaul to professions in the game. Make it more rewarding rather than simply choosing which one is the most profitable. Not too long back JC and Inscription were considered the most profitable with Enchanting as well. However, since its so easy for everyone to level new professions, competition is high. People ain't looking to compete more so than simply undercut each other. JC was considered one of the most expensive professions to level only an expansion back. Now its probably the easiest and less time consuming.

  2. #2
    The difference with WoW and Skyrim is that those professions were part of your talent trees. You had to choose to put points into it and neglect other bonuses that would effect your play. In order for the same level of bonuses in WoW, you would need to completely overhaul the entire system and rebalance everyone, and I don't see that ever happening.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    The difference with WoW and Skyrim is that those professions were part of your talent trees. You had to choose to put points into it and neglect other bonuses that would effect your play. In order for the same level of bonuses in WoW, you would need to completely overhaul the entire system and rebalance everyone, and I don't see that ever happening.
    You don't have to do that. You can always gain certain bonuses depending on your level in that profession. Like Tailors and Blacksmiths already get to socket and enchanting their cloaks at around 400. So it could work similarly. Where certain bonuses get unlocked at ever 100 skill intervals. So you don't really need talent trees.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer foxHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Inside Jabu-jabu's Belly
    Posts
    3,843
    I'm sorry, I just had to comment on the irony of seeing the words "Skyrim" and "overhaul" in the same sentence. Bethesda does one thing well - immersion. All the other aspects of their games (talents and professions and spells) have always been and will probably always remain an exploitable, ill-conceived mess.
    Look! Words!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I'm sorry, I just had to comment on the irony of seeing the words "Skyrim" and "overhaul" in the same sentence. Bethesda does one thing well - immersion. All the other aspects of their games (talents and professions and spells) have always been and will probably always remain an exploitable, ill-conceived mess.
    Its exploitable cause its an RPG without restrictions. There would obviously be restrictions in an MMO. Like in Skyrim you could basically level all 3 professions and abuse the levelling system. It doesn't work as well in an MMO when you can only chose 2 and there are no fortifying Blacksmithing professions.

  6. #6
    I would have liked to combine all of those extra stacks of food from random mobs into random raid potions on my potion-specced alchemist back in Cataclysm... Bethesda style!
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw...3g0eo1_500.jpg
    It wasn't long ago / I was just like you / And now I think I'm sick and I wanna go home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    what if SEARING WOLVES? The possibilities?!!?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    You don't have to do that. You can always gain certain bonuses depending on your level in that profession. Like Tailors and Blacksmiths already get to socket and enchanting their cloaks at around 400. So it could work similarly. Where certain bonuses get unlocked at ever 100 skill intervals. So you don't really need talent trees.
    You already do get bonuses depending on your level, both gathering and producing professions. The gathering ones scale depending on your profession level and the production ones are the spellthreads, sockets, enchants, etc. that you can make and use at each skill tier. Right now you can produce items/bonuses that others who are not using that profession do not have access to. I'm not grasping what large difference you are wanting to have implemented.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    You already do get bonuses depending on your level, both gathering and producing professions. The gathering ones scale depending on your profession level and the production ones are the spellthreads, sockets, enchants, etc. that you can make and use at each skill tier. Right now you can produce items/bonuses that others who are not using that profession do not have access to. I'm not grasping what large difference you are wanting to have implemented.
    I don't really know if you have played Skyrim, but if you have not I suggest reading up on the Skyrim wiki page.

    Right now they are just stat sticks. Those sockets, enchants, spellthreads are simply your stat stick. They don't have any variation in the profession itself. All professions give you a static +320 or whatever number buff to your primary profession.

    What I am calling for is more variation. Like Blacksmiths can improve their armour, not just add 2 sockets. Enchanters can equip 2 enchants on their armour and so on and so on. Enchanters also get passive bonuses to their own enchantments.

  9. #9
    The main issue with professions is I feel the vast majority of craftings at lower levels being practically useless.
    Having to dump in tonnes of materials whatever the source into power levelling due to a virtually non-existent demand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    What I am calling for is more variation. Like Blacksmiths can improve their armour, not just add 2 sockets. Enchanters can equip 2 enchants on their armour and so on and so on. Enchanters also get passive bonuses to their own enchantments.
    And that is what they do already.
    Each has a unique perk.
    Extra sockets, superior bracer enhancements, superior ring enchancements, etc.

    By adding more perks they soon become horribly imbalanced.
    Which is why many of them are really similar in overall effect, its for a good reason rather than to deny you fun or immersion.
    One profession becoming mandatory simply because it gives you bigger numbers is not fun.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-05-13 at 09:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Does WoW deserve a new, overhauled profession system? Abso-friggin-lutely. Should it be like the one in Skyrim? No.

    Think about it, there's not much going on in the Skyrim system. It's fine for a single player RPG because simply exploring all the trees and recipes is enough depth for a couple of playthroughs. In a proper MMO, though, you need a whole different level of longevity and complexity. I wouldn't even know where to begin with an overhaul of WoW's antiquated, uninspired system (perhaps by not having 99% of the crafted stuff be pointless trash nobody will ever use and only make to level up) but it certainly wouldn't be by looking Skyrim.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The main issue with professions is I feel the vast majority of craftings at lower levels being practically useless.
    Having to dump in tonnes of materials whatever the source into power levelling due to a virtually non-existent demand.



    And that is what they do already.
    Each has a unique perk.
    Extra sockets, superior bracer enhancements, superior ring enchancements, etc.

    By adding more perks they soon become horribly imbalanced.
    Which is why many of them are really similar in overall effect, its for a good reason rather than to deny you fun or immersion.
    One profession becoming mandatory simply because it gives you bigger numbers is not fun.
    But it was for the longest time before everything was balanced.

    Again I think you fail to see what I am saying. What I am calling for is more variation. It doesn't need to be balanced. Like Blacksmiths only get to improve on their gear. Enchanters get +10%, +20% bonuses or effectiveness on their own enchants.

    The unique perk right now they all over a standard +320 perk. Its hard to measure how much each profession offers in Skyrim.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I'm sorry, I just had to comment on the irony of seeing the words "Skyrim" and "overhaul" in the same sentence. Bethesda does one thing well - immersion. All the other aspects of their games (talents and professions and spells) have always been and will probably always remain an exploitable, ill-conceived mess.
    And they can get away with it due to the single player state of the game. If one wants to cheese their way through the game, they can. Or not... and it impacts no one else.

    I'd personally like to see a game that actually makes professions truly powerful, and also engage the player to decide which he'll be best at.. crafting? Or fighting... because you wouldn't be able to reach the highest levels of each. Have things that require several crafters working in unison to build (siege engines, etc).

    It's not relevant to WoW certainly, but would make for an interesting system.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •