Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia View Post
    There's a really silly way to make it look better. I do this, personally;

Lets imagine this macro only has 2 spells in it, but I want to avoid the ugly question mark;

Code:
    /cast [nomod] Penance
    /cast [mod:Shift] Smite
    /cast [mod:ctrl] Penance
    /cast [mod:alt] Penance
    So, you just repeat the first spell, for the remaining modifiers. This way, if I'm pushing Alt for whatever reason, the macro still shows a pretty Penance icon, instead of [?].

If you have really complex macros, there isn't room to do that - because it's full of actually useful stuff. In that case, you just have to live with it unfortunately :\
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:Shift] Smite; Penance

Should do the same thing.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haros View Post
    #showtooltip

Holding 'ctrl' with that macro does not cast Penance, even though the tooltip still shows Penance.

Quote Originally Posted by Haros View Post
    #showtooltip

It just breaks, if you happen to be holding any other modifier. Which is really unfortunate with the way I have my abilities set up. So, the super-messy one is the only option.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Physicsguy View Post
    Holding 'ctrl' with that macro does not cast Penance, even though the tooltip still shows Penance.
    You have something bound to CTRL + <whatever key you use for the macro>

As stated before, keybinds take precedence over macros.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You have something bound to CTRL + <whatever key you use for the macro>

As stated before, keybinds take precedence over macros.

There's something weird going on, then, because that doesn't work for me. If I define all the conditionals however, it does. Which is why I've been doing it that way for years, it's the only way that has consistently worked.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythricia View Post
    There's something weird going on, then, because that doesn't work for me. If I define all the conditionals however, it does. Which is why I've been doing it that way for years, it's the only way that has consistently worked.
    Ctrl+1 is bound to pet-ability-1 by default. try unbinding it and running the macro.

Instead of seeing "they hit 2 + ctrl" the game's seeing "ctrl+2" -> and tries to use a pet ability.

if you run...
    Code:
    /cast [mod:Shift] Smite;[mod:Ctrl]Penance;Penance
    Does it still give you trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Ctrl+1 is bound to pet-ability-1 by default. try unbinding it and running the macro.

Instead of seeing "they hit 2 + ctrl" the game's seeing "ctrl+2" -> and tries to use a pet ability.

if you run...
    Code:
    /cast [mod:Shift] Smite;[mod:Ctrl]Penance;Penance
    Does it still give you trouble?

Still doesn't work properly no. And yeah I know the default pet bindings, but I've changed them (if they're there, my own macros also break) - there's nothing actually bound to say, CTRL-1 or what not, for sure. It still don't work.

It's probably some really obscure issue, but whatever the case the macros I make (with several lines) do work, and besides, I usually have 4 abilities on each so it's not really a problem... Was mostly in response to someone else complaining about the red question marks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    UGH yes, I HATE that. I really wish there was a way to make it so that if you press a mod that doesn't have a spell assigned to it, it just continues to show the default spell. So that it ONLY changes if there is a different spell.
    Er.
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:ctrl]Rune Tap; [mod:shift]Vampiric Blood; [mod:alt]Anti-Magic Shell; Icebound Fortitude
    OT: As has been said, (modifier) + (number key) has quite a bunch of default bindings. Bind the combination that doesn't work properly to some action bar key, then un-bind it again to make sure the binding has been cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    UGH yes, I HATE that. I really wish there was a way to make it so that if you press a mod that doesn't have a spell assigned to it, it just continues to show the default spell. So that it ONLY changes if there is a different spell.
    You can add conditionals to the showtooltip and showicon statements to control the icon display based on the modifier.
    You can do that to display a less ugly icon when using a modifier otherwise not utilised in the macro, or even have one different from the spell which is.

If you use an icon for an item you do not currently have in your inventory, it can still display the ugly icon until you have one the first time, after which it will display correctly even when you do not.

But I found that the question icon for an item not yet in your inventory can be corrected if you use the item id number, as obtained from wowhead or wowdb for example.

Not tested, but you could probably use spell:xxxx to shorten the macro a bit if shorter than the name.

If you have no need for the tooltip, then showicon also works for just the icon, but the tooltip for the button will be simply displaying the name of the macro.

I use the following with a Healthstone/Soulwell Macro but the same equally applies to what is being discussed here.

Code:
    #showtooltip [nomod]item:5512;[mod:shift]Create Healthstone;[mod:alt]Create Soulwell
    /cast [mod:shift]Create Healthstone
    /cast [mod:alt]Create Soulwell

That one will create a Healthstone on the shift modifer, a Soulwell on the alt modifier, but still display a Healthstone icon and tooltip when there is no modifier, even if the macro does nothing without one.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-05-12 at 08:27 AM.