Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Realm selection page showing no low pop servers

    Are blizzard trying to hide the real realm populations? Currently there are no realms showing low pop on the EU realm selection(all showing medium/full) screen so i made 2 chars horde/alliance on Sporeggar which is showing as medium pop,alliance has 10 players online while horde has 6 : /
    Something fishy going on here.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,019
    I love how people immediately assume that Blizzard is operating some nefarious scheme. Why do you even play if you think they're so evil and you can't trust them?

    Perhaps more people signed on recently. Perhaps there is a bug with the realm pops. Perhaps they're preparing to merge a server. Perhaps you misread it.



  3. #3
    Mechagnome Snakehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    'merica
    Posts
    666
    Blizzard inflating numbers of active players????

    What blasphemy is this

    Looks like their secret is becoming more obvious. Not as many people play wow as they claim.
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2013-05-12 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Ipad autocorrect fack you ipad

  4. #4
    Or, you know, the servers are still populated, but people aren't logging on. The Realm pop sites aren't based on activity.

  5. #5
    Yeah, early in the morning tends to be quiet because, you know, people stay up late on weekends and sleep in on the morning? Could that be?

  6. #6
    Banned True Anarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shadowlag Valley
    Posts
    7,601
    It's probably Blizzard trying to make the realms appear fuller than they are, this is a very minor and typical business practice though.

    As others have pointed out ... WoW might have the most subscribers but other MMO games feel much more populated and lively, not as deserted and empty as most WoW realms.

  7. #7
    The realm pop indicator doesn't mean much. The server my Warlock is on is listed as low pop (and it's really low pop) most of the times. Then on the weekends it creeps up into 'medium'. I just take that realm pop thing with a grain of salt.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    2,637
    Maybe the system registers the realms that have cross realm enabled as a combined level of players *shrug*

    Honestly why so hysterical though? I doubt it's done intentionally and if it is, so what? We know the situation, everyone knows it, we bombard them with emails about it weekly. Just keep at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Yeah, it's always WAR WAR WAR untill..BY ALL THAT IS HOLY DO YOU SEE THAT ENEMY OVER THERE?? GLORIOUS LOOT!!!!!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I love how people immediately assume that Blizzard is operating some nefarious scheme. Why do you even play if you think they're so evil and you can't trust them?
    I've seen a shocking amount of players who seem to truly believe Blizzard is actively trying to screw people over. I don't get it.
    --
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Toy Train Set has been temporarily disabled.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I've seen a shocking amount of players who seem to truly believe Blizzard is actively trying to screw people over. I don't get it.
    Because the only thing WoW players like more than playing WoW is dooms-daying about it on forums.

  11. #11
    Mechagnome Snakehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    'merica
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I've seen a shocking amount of players who seem to truly believe Blizzard is actively trying to screw people over. I don't get it.
    Not screw people, just inflate numbers. As far as the "active" number of subs on their quarterly they can get away with it based on a 1 month sub during that quarter so if you sub then quit guess what you're counted as "active" for the quarter.

  12. #12
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,648
    Blizzard isn't hiding anything. You guys are overreacting and need to relax.


    Not screw people, just inflate numbers. As far as the "active" number of subs on their quarterly they can get away with it based on a 1 month sub during that quarter so if you sub then quit guess what you're counted as "active" for the quarter.
    So basically lie, intentionally misleading people. Take the tinfoil hat off.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  13. #13
    Mechagnome Snakehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    'merica
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Blizzard isn't hiding anything. You guys are overreacting and need to relax.




    So basically lie, intentionally misleading people. Take the tinfoil hat off.
    How is it lying from a business standpoint?

    You subbed hence paid for a service. They must acknowledge that to the shareholders. If you quit they don't count that until the following quarter. Provided of course you don't change your mind and come back.

    It's basic accounting. Credits and debits.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Not screw people, just inflate numbers. As far as the "active" number of subs on their quarterly they can get away with it based on a 1 month sub during that quarter so if you sub then quit guess what you're counted as "active" for the quarter.
    That is how every sub-business works. When you unsubscribe your access to the game doesn't end until the time you paid for passes. Technically you are still an active sub. It's not inflation or dishonesty.



  15. #15
    Mechagnome Snakehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    'merica
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    That is how every sub-business works. When you unsubscribe your access to the game doesn't end until the time you paid for passes. Technically you are still an active sub. It's not inflation or dishonesty.
    Right. Business wise they are being "honest" in reality however they are saying more people are actively playing than are actually subscribed.

  16. #16
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Right. Business wise they are being "honest" in reality however they are saying more people are actively playing than are actually subscribed.
    They never said actively playing. Simply subscribed. I'm subbed to SWTOR...but haven't played in months. Legally in accounting terms I am a subscriber. I'm paying for the service; I am generating revenue for them. Nothing says I have to be active about using it.



  17. #17
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    Not screw people, just inflate numbers. As far as the "active" number of subs on their quarterly they can get away with it based on a 1 month sub during that quarter so if you sub then quit guess what you're counted as "active" for the quarter.
    Actually they don't count subs that have been cancelled, even if they're still active. Their full definition is listed on their press releases, let me dig one up real quick...

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.
    (Bolded for emphasis.)

  18. #18
    Banned True Anarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shadowlag Valley
    Posts
    7,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Actually they don't count subs that have been cancelled, even if they're still active. Their full definition is listed on their press releases, let me dig one up real quick...

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.
    (Bolded for emphasis.)
    Well that is a can of worms.

    That's an announcement from 4 years ago? That's back when they still regularly reported the number of subscribers instead of only revealing it every quarter.

    There's also a difference between such a thing being said during a publicity or forum post, or as small letters on earning calls. They can say whatever they want on the forums or in news posts on the site, doesn't mean they'll use the same principles on the quarter calls though.

  19. #19
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Well that is a can of worms.

    That's an announcement from 4 years ago? That's back when they still regularly reported the number of subscribers instead of only revealing it every quarter.

    There's also a difference between such a thing being said during a publicity or forum post, or as small letters on earning calls. They can say whatever they want on the forums or in news posts on the site, doesn't mean they'll use the same principles on the quarter calls though.
    The one I pulled this from was from last October.

  20. #20
    Mechagnome Snakehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    'merica
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They never said actively playing. Simply subscribed. I'm subbed to SWTOR...but haven't played in months. Legally in accounting terms I am a subscriber. I'm paying for the service; I am generating revenue for them. Nothing says I have to be active about using it.
    I am agreeing with that. In fact I have never said otherwise. However, just as you said subbed and active are not the same thing so by them inflating a low pop server when in actuality less people are actively playing is wrong.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 06:30 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Actually they don't count subs that have been cancelled, even if they're still active. Their full definition is listed on their press releases, let me dig one up real quick...

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.
    (Bolded for emphasis.)
    Rivin is doesn't work in the way that you're implying. If someone subs even for only 1 month that revenue has to be reported (we have accounting laws that mandate that) so they cannot simply ignore that money was earned so they report it. In doing so on their income statement they have to list that account along with all the other subbed accounts as a subscriber even if that account holder quit during that quarter.
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2013-05-12 at 06:32 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •