Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need desperate ASAP for a prebuilt desktop! Looking for really cheap builds.

Hello! I currently own a Macbook pro, but my macbook pro just currently broke. I have to send it off to get repairs, which made me realize that I need a back up computer. I have one currently, but it can barely function in any way, shape or form. So what I am currently looking for is something that is quite bare bones.

The two that I am currently looking are:

AMD A10-5800K 3.80 GHz Quad-Core APU with integrated Radeon HD 7660D, 4 GBs RAM, 2 TB harddrive and no additional GPU (adding the GTX650 with 1GB of VRAM is certainly an option, it's currently a special so it's only 50 bucks.)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1F3TWR

Second one:

Intel® Core™ i3-3220 3.30 GHz 3MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 with a GTX 650 with 1GB of VRAM, 4 GB of RAM, and a 2 TB hard drive. This is set in stone and cannot be changed, all other options are too much.
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1F3TWW

So there are my two builds I am currently looking at. Again I'm looking for something just as a backup that will actually function vs. the PoS I am currently on right now. If you know of anything else, anywhere else, that's in the sort of price, please let me know!!

Thanks for the all help!

EDIT: Should also note that I am looking for something to be able to play WoW, League of Legends, RIFT etc., on decent settings. I'd prefer not to play it on the lowest. Please take this into consideration. I understand I may not get the best performance with the listed builds.
    Last edited by ElfinHilon10; 2013-05-12 at 08:08 AM.
    Welcome to America. Here is your corrupt politician, complementary gun, and your fixed news. Hope you enjoy your stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd take the i3 over the A8.

However there's also this, which you can throw a video card into as well

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...&puid=82cf9197
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

I'm sorry. I'm getting an error with that.
    Welcome to America. Here is your corrupt politician, complementary gun, and your fixed news. Hope you enjoy your stay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElfinHilon10 View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm getting an error with that.
    Try this
    Click Desktops under 499, select "Inspiron Desktop" and "i5" on the search on the left, and it should be the first one. I double checked to make sure that system has a PCI-E slot.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Ahh Ok. I see what you are talking about. I do have a Radeon 6850 in this current computer. Think I should buy the Inspiron and transfer the GPU over to that? I have no idea why I am having issues with this desktop, but I've tried everything and I don't want to put any more effort into it. So I have no idea if it's the GPU that's bad or the CPU, but I am thinking the CPU at this point. Is there anyway to test that?

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the current system you're using?

I currently have an i5 3.1 GH quad core with 8 GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD with a radeon 6850. I have no idea what's wrong with it, but I am thinking it's the CPU. Eitherway, I do not want to fool around with the thing any more, and I do want to take the GPU and put it in the new desktop, if possible. So with that being said, would it be possible to put my 6850 into any of the systems I linked above/ into the Inspiron?

EDIT: At this point, I'm really thinking of doing that Inspiron and just putting in my own video card. What do you think? Will a Radeon 6850 work in that computer you think?
    Last edited by ElfinHilon10; 2013-05-12 at 07:12 PM.

EDIT: At this point, I'm really thinking of doing that Inspiron and just putting in my own video card. What do you think? Will a Radeon 6850 work in that computer you think?
    It should.

Also CPU is extremely unlikely point of fail and it sounds bit silly to throw away such a new computer without even bothering to diagnose what's wrong with it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Oh it isn't new. I've been trying to get this thing to work for literally years. I have no idea. I originally tried to turn it into a hackintosh, but it wasn't stable. At this point, I almost want an entire new computer just so I know I won't have issues.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 12:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

Also just noticed, it's an A10, not an A8. Does that change your mind at all?

You should definitely try to diagnose the computer you already have, it would save you time and money AND you would learn something new as well. If you could give us some details on what is wrong with it we could help you figure out what could be the cause and some fixes. I've been stuck quite a few times only to have someone come up and point out "hey did you try this?" and it worked and I felt like a idiot for missing it :\
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

I really have nothing else to try. I've replaced everything in it minus the HDD, RAM, and the CPU. 2 of which I know work (obviously) so it leads me to think it's the CPU. I don't have a warranty on that any more and I really don't want to fool around with it.

Also just noticed, it's an A10, not an A8. Does that change your mind at all?
    No. The refurbished Dell (if it's still available) + your Radeon 6850 will give by far best bang for the buck.

And if you do not want refurbished but new, pick the i3 you linked and select "integrated graphics" option for -52$ because you're going to use your old graphics card, will save some nice money there.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-05-12 at 08:18 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No. The refurbished Dell (if it's still available) + your Radeon 6850 will give by far best bang for the buck.

And if you do not want refurbished but new, pick the i3 you linked and select "integrated graphics" option for -52$ because you're going to use your old graphics card, will save some nice money there.
    And to this point, I have been reading that you can stick in a Radeon card and get cross-fire, if the game supports it. Which seems like it'd give me far better performance than anything.

Aside from all that, and I really should have mentioned this earlier, I am looking for some amount of portability. These mini cases make it much easier to move around, as well as taking up far less space (I don't have much). It's meant to act as in impromtu laptop, without being a laptop.

So with what I have said here, you still think the i3 will be the best? Even with the possible cross-fire support for nothing extra?

EDIT: On top of all of that, I'll also get the upgraded case (with the A10) which far more USB ports and misc stuff on it.
    Last edited by ElfinHilon10; 2013-05-12 at 08:46 PM.

And to this point, I have been reading that you can stick in a Radeon card and get cross-fire, if the game supports it.

So with what I have said here, you still think the i3 will be the best? Even with the possible cross-fire support for nothing extra?
    Crossfire of the integrated GPU of A10 + Radeon 6850 does not make up for the A10 being much weaker than i3 for MMORPGs (WoW & Rift you listed there). There's really no competition between the two if MMOs are high priority.

Case question and some limited carry-ability certainly drops the Dell out of the question. I personally really like the looks of that Bitfenix Prodigy case that i3 comes with. It has built-in carry handles too! But if you want really really small case, you should go for the Fractal Design Node 304 option for $14 extra as that is significantly smaller.
    Trolling should be.

Crossfire of the integrated GPU of A10 + Radeon 6850 does not make up for the A10 being much weaker than i3 for MMORPGs (WoW & Rift you listed there). There's really no competition between the two if MMOs are high priority.

Case question and some limited carry-ability certainly drops the Dell out of the question. I personally really like the looks of that Bitfenix Prodigy case that i3 comes with. It has built-in carry handles too! But if you want really really small case, you should go for the Fractal Design Node 304 option for $14 extra as that is significantly smaller.
    All of the benchmarks I am currently seeing are showing the i3 as weaker. It's stronger in productivity applications (like Photoshop etc.,) but weaker in gaming. Since that is what I am looking for, gaming, I think the A10 would be better.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Simply Control + f i3-3220 and A10-5800k. The second thing, is the A10 allows for overclocking. I'm not saying what you are saying is wrong, I just want to make sure I get the best deal.

All of the benchmarks I am currently seeing are showing the i3 as weaker.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    Passmark measures multicore performance, MMORPGs are all about single core performance (I'm sure you have heard before Intel processors are literally years ahead in single core performance compared to AMD).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=677 shows comparison between i3-3220 vs A10-5800K and the number you should be looking for is the Cinebench single thread numbers.

Or to get rankings of the same thing, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/38

If you're willing and able to overclock the A10-5800k to the max it will be close to i3-3220 in MMORPGs but probably not surpass it. You also need to keep in mind that if you want to OC the A10 to the max, you need fastest possible RAM with it and the 2133MHz upgrade is not cheap in that cyberpowerpc builder.
    Trolling should be.

Passmark measures multicore performance, MMORPGs are all about single core performance (I'm sure you have heard before Intel processors are literally years ahead in single core performance compared to AMD).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/675?vs=677 shows comparison between i3-3220 vs A10-5800K and the number you should be looking for is the Cinebench single thread numbers.

Or to get rankings of the same thing, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/38

If you're willing and able to overclock the A10-5800k to the max it will be close to i3-3220 in MMORPGs but probably not surpass it. You also need to keep in mind that if you want to OC the A10 to the max, you need fastest possible RAM with it and the 2133MHz upgrade is not cheap in that cyberpowerpc builder.
    Yeah that is true. I do believe WoW takes advantage of multiple cores, doesn't it now? I remember seeing something about that.

But regardless, I am going to to the A10. I scrolled down a bit, and there was an option to get a 250 GB SSD for an extra 40. That alone is worth it and put just over 500, at 502. That and I will be able to go to NewEgg and can get 2133 or even 2400 8GB of RAM for only 70 bucks. So all in all, I think I'm gonna do that. I REALLY appreciate the help you have given me.

Thanks a bunch guys! When I purchase the build, I'll be sure to update this thread with what I purchased.

Yeah that is true. I do believe WoW takes advantage of multiple cores, doesn't it now?
    Since start of TBC two cores, from start of WLK infinite number of cores. But it doesnt change the fact that what it needs is about two and half cores which is why i3 has "enough" cores for it with 2+HT.

But regardless, I am going to to the A10. I scrolled down a bit, and there was an option to get a 250 GB SSD for an extra 40.
    Same offer is for the i3 setup. But whatever, seems like you're dead set on the worse AMD computer so go for it. If you had said you dont want to play WoW or any other MMORPG I'd recommend the A10 to you, but since you do, there's really no competition.

Either way you choose, get the SSD option btw.
    Trolling should be.

Since start of TBC two cores, from start of WLK infinite number of cores. But it doesnt change the fact that what it needs is about two and half cores which is why i3 has "enough" cores for it with 2+HT.

Same offer is for the i3 setup. But whatever, seems like you're dead set on the worse AMD computer so go for it. If you had said you dont want to play WoW or any other MMORPG I'd recommend the A10 to you, but since you do, there's really no competition.

Either way you choose, get the SSD option btw.
    What do you mean about the first part with the i3? WoW would take advantage of all 4 cores correct, wouldn't many games also take advantage of the multiple cores? So if they take advantage of the 4 cores, the A10 is far better.

Also found out that it seems Cross-Fire doesn't work with the 6850 and the integrated card on the CPU. That's a bit of a bummer, but we will see if this is good. I do want to see how well this can work with out the card, and if it doesn't work well enough, I can always put it in there and use it. Either way, I get to test it and see how it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW would take advantage of all 4 cores correct, wouldn't many games also take advantage of the multiple cores? So if they take advantage of the 4 cores, the A10 is far better..
    Yes and... no. Wow has a lot of threads, but really only utilizes 2.5 to any effect. The i3 supports 4 threads, which is already more than WoW will utilize in a per-thread debate. More cores on the A10 does not equal more performance. The intels are simply better (with WoW specifically).

That said.. MOST games don't use more than 1 or 2 threads, the exception is Battlefield 3. AMD falls behind in almost every gaming aspect, except when it comes to rendering or streaming. I don't think AMD does better in any price category, except in the ultra-low end (sub $100) area.

Basically, TLDR: Whatever you choose, pick the Intel.