Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,506

    World of Warcraft: Re-Origination

    I've seen lots of threads lately on what people want to see, what people expect with the next and future expansions, and also what the loss of subs means in regard to the lifespan of the game. I also haven't seen this idea (not that I pay much attention).

    An expansion down the road, where Re-Origination occurs. It would basically be what happened with FFXIV.

    A complete overhaul. A new game. A new graphics engine. A lot of similar concepts, but new classes, new places, new abilities, a completely redone history and past. Of course, this would be a massive undertaking, and would require likely an entire department, like Titan has. It couldn't just be a simple 'next expansion' thing. I would expect it to have 3-4 years of development behind it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  2. #2
    That's sorta what the Cataclysm did with progression of quests in the world. They've already spent a ton of time remaking the world, I don't think there's a point to reimagining again so soon. Besides, what is the point of reimagination when they could focus more on pushing forward the story? There's still plenty of content we haven't seen yet, like the South Seas, Emerald Dream, other planets and so on.

  3. #3
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,506
    I don't mean for 'next expansion'. I would either consider it somewhere around 9.0 or 10.0, or possibly even what would be called "World of Warcraft 2". A second game, or spinoff perhaps.

    Cataclysm modified a few zones in a pretty pithy way. I'm talking about literally having the world remade.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  4. #4
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bluff
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't mean for 'next expansion'. I would either consider it somewhere around 9.0 or 10.0, or possibly even what would be called "World of Warcraft 2". A second game, or spinoff perhaps.

    Cataclysm modified a few zones in a pretty pithy way. I'm talking about literally having the world remade.
    Wow 2 will not happen, also I think they will keep this engine but simply upgrade the models like they have done.
    Titan is their big project and will be their focus once they are done with WoW which is not any time soon.
    That's as close as you will get with a new engine for WoW I'm affraid.
    For the Horde! And for the Earthmother!
    Armory

  5. #5
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintank View Post
    Wow 2 will not happen, also I think they will keep this engine but simply upgrade the models like they have done.
    Titan is their big project and will be their focus once they are done with WoW which is not any time soon.
    That's as close as you will get with a new engine for WoW I'm affraid.
    I'm not asking or speculating if they ARE going to, or might. I know for a fact they won't do any such thing. I was just curious about peoples thoughts on, given it being a possibility, what would be involved and see in such.

    To be clear, I am not trying to discuss if there will be a "WoW2"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  6. #6
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bluff
    Posts
    829
    Fair enough then I missinterpetated the post, my bad
    For the Horde! And for the Earthmother!
    Armory

  7. #7
    I think Blizzard are going to concentrate on Project Titan for now. I can't see them releasing WoW 2 or something similar for a while.

  8. #8
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,506
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    To be clear, I am not trying to discuss if there will be a "WoW2"
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    I can't see them releasing WoW 2 or something similar for a while.
    Ya dont say?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Ya dont say?
    What you're suggesting is essentially a WoW2. You are discussing if there will be one, just saying that you don't doesn't change that.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't mean for 'next expansion'. I would either consider it somewhere around 9.0 or 10.0, or possibly even what would be called "World of Warcraft 2". A second game, or spinoff perhaps.

    Cataclysm modified a few zones in a pretty pithy way. I'm talking about literally having the world remade.
    agreed with Cata ... so much hype, so little done in reality.


    The engine, we don't know what it is capable of. I think if they just improved the trees, the world would become much more immersive and beautiful.
    ex:

    The trees are not 'stylistic' in WoW, they are utter crap, flat pieces of cardboard pasted together. It would be a massive undertaking though.

    I think the bullshit GC said about '2 raids or 1 raid and revamped smc; answer always 2 raids' is so stupid. As long as they have 12-16 bosses a tier, 1 raid is fine (or 3 smaller raids with same total). That means, yes, keep the world up to date. 6 years of a broken SMC is a bit much. No flying in Exo/SMC is stupid (should've taken them off outland servers when they did cata ... but cata was a minimal effort job, touted as a major overhaul).

    No need for WoW2/new engine/re-origination. Just start reworking current assets ... and I don't mean destroying the dungeon crawling feel of dungeons, like Scholo ... but retuning them to use all the old content at max level ... even if just for xmog and JP/VP alternatives (which they might be attempting using gear scaling).

    As they proved with character models, shadows/lighting, and water physics/visuals ... they can keep fine tuning and upgrading the engine and its capabilities. More polygons, more everything.

    Abilities could use a trim, especially for some classes. Complexity for complexity sake isn't good. More isn't always better.

    It can all be done piece work, but they need a big picture, set goals, and start working on it. A sub-team, doing it one step at a time. Can never finish, if you never start.

  11. #11
    "It would basically be what happened with FFXIV."

    A total unmitigated disaster? Please no! But in all seriousness I think the engine and older graphics work well, I have never played a game that has the same kind of art style and I would think a lot of people with less income or older computers would struggle to use a top of the line MMO engine. Especially in things like 25 man raids.

    In all it would cost them millions of dollars and they would be unlikely to get any new customers (See: All other MMORPGs released in last 5 years).

    I think they have a winning formula and they should ride it to the end. Plus with Titan development they might release a MMO with fancy graphics but I am thinking it will be more like a social media game.

  12. #12
    I think that the most important thing is that it should be a "World".

    Imagine Azeroth 20 or maybe 30 times bigger than what we have ingame today.
    Without flying and easy portals, traveling would be amazing and exciting. Even with the eventual fansites providing us with a full map, we would still spend days just exploring, getting to know the world.

    Factions: I think 4 would be a good number. That way if one would happen to be more developed than the others, blizzard would have 75% of the playerbase complaining, instead of 50-50.

    I also would love to see truly contested territories, like, making every town except you faction hometown a "Halaa" kind of town.

    Classes: I think classes should be balanced, but never homogenized like they are today. Every class should have it's own uniqueness (and i don't mean one or two abilities).


    Sorry for my bad spelling.

  13. #13
    what we need is "Caverns of Time: Vanilla WoW". we go through a portal and are back in Vanilla Azeroth. I liked the zones so much better before the remake....
    "You will bend to my will... with or without your precious sanity!

  14. #14
    Warchief Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,189
    It's funny to me when ppl know for a fact Blizz won't make a WoW2 when in actual fact they have no clue what can happen in the future... it could be in 2025 but it could still happen so saying it will never happen is a bit silly to me... especially with somehing as big as Warcraft...

    there are stuff they simply cannot do with the current engine and would require a complete overhawl which is a much more tremendous work than to create a new engine from scratch since u have to make sure u don't break working stuff while changing it...
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2013-05-18 at 04:36 AM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Theronus View Post
    Imagine Azeroth 20 or maybe 30 times bigger than what we have ingame today.
    Without flying and easy portals, traveling would be amazing and exciting. Even with the eventual fansites providing us with a full map, we would still spend days just exploring, getting to know the world.
    No people would get bored real fast from all the running around and would quit. Most players do not want to spend time looking at trees and running. They want to be doing something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Theronus View Post
    I also would love to see truly contested territories, like, making every town except you faction hometown a "Halaa" kind of town.
    Never EVER going to happen. Just the hint that Blizzard might force PvP in 5.3 made people quit. Having to fight to quest in a zone would be the end of the game

    Quote Originally Posted by Theronus View Post
    Classes: I think classes should be balanced, but never homogenized like they are today. Every class should have it's own uniqueness (and i don't mean one or two abilities).
    Class balance is a myth. It will never happen and they are wasting time trying to do it. And the less homogenized the worse it gets.

  16. #16
    Warchief Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldermark View Post
    No people would get bored real fast from all the running around and would quit. Most players do not want to spend time looking at trees and running. They want to be doing something.


    Never EVER going to happen. Just the hint that Blizzard might force PvP in 5.3 made people quit. Having to fight to quest in a zone would be the end of the game

    Class balance is a myth. It will never happen and they are wasting time trying to do it. And the less homogenized the worse it gets.
    That's why it doesn't work in the current WoW and hence why it should get a RE-Origination aka WoW2... and it'd be damn easy to do it also(lorewise at least)...

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldermark View Post
    No people would get bored real fast from all the running around and would quit. Most players do not want to spend time looking at trees and running. They want to be doing something.
    I'm not sugesting that it should be all empty space, just more to go around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldermark View Post
    Never EVER going to happen. Just the hint that Blizzard might force PvP in 5.3 made people quit. Having to fight to quest in a zone would be the end of the game
    I agree, but then again, it would be a different game, with different mechanics. Maybe if pve and pvp were baked into the same system? I'm just throwing ideas here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldermark View Post
    Class balance is a myth. It will never happen and they are wasting time trying to do it. And the less homogenized the worse it gets.
    I also agree, but in my opinion not everything should be based around just sheer numbers. For example: a 'debuffer' class should be just as useful as a healer, and a summoning class could tank with his minions. Again, imagine this is a totally different game.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadBroChill17 View Post
    what we need is "Caverns of Time: Vanilla WoW". we go through a portal and are back in Vanilla Azeroth. I liked the zones so much better before the remake....
    I was actually thinking about something like this the other day..
    What if we had an expansion that dealt with a parallel Azeroth; one that was formed by the Cataclysm but exists in a state before it? ..and characters could travel between them a la Link to the Past.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    That's why it doesn't work in the current WoW and hence why it should get a RE-Origination aka WoW2... and it'd be damn easy to do it also(lorewise at least)...
    It's not a successful business model to 'fix what isn't broken'. While some things like this work in favour of the game, like Guild Wars 2, WoW 2 has the problem of having a large established playerbase that is slowly declining due to various reasons, few of which are because of 'bad graphics' or a need for reinvention. If anything, Diablo 3 has more of this problem because the game is actually broken and needs fixing. WoW however is the successful model that is sustaining a huge following. A Re-origination could turn out like how Everquest 2 did.

    If fans want to play the original, they will stick to the original. There aren't really many guarantees to a WoW2 because much of WoW's charm is in its familiarity.

  20. #20
    Warchief Skorpionss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    It's not a successful business model to 'fix what isn't broken'. While some things like this work in favour of the game, like Guild Wars 2, WoW 2 has the problem of having a large established playerbase that is slowly declining due to various reasons, few of which are because of 'bad graphics' or a need for reinvention. If anything, Diablo 3 has more of this problem because the game is actually broken and needs fixing. WoW however is the successful model that is sustaining a huge following. A Re-origination could turn out like how Everquest 2 did.

    If fans want to play the original, they will stick to the original. There aren't really many guarantees to a WoW2 because much of WoW's charm is in its familiarity.
    Yes people quit because the game is old and dull nowdays... changes to it are only very shallow nowdays... the gameplay is basically the same it was in vanilla, and ppl get bored of that shit after almost 10years...

    WoW 2 would have a completely new gameplay in addition to better graphics and maybe even larger zones than currently it would be a complete restart the only things in common being that it still takes place on azeroth and titans are still the "creators" and there may still be old gods and burning legion other than that it could be all new races all new classes all new proffesions all new EVERYTHING...

    And the current WoW could still be available to those who prefer it just like EQ and EQ2 run in parallel or GW1 and GW2 run in parallel... you'd have both WoW and WoW2 still running.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •