Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Deathwing: Worst main Villain in the series?

Ok, well leveling an alt, and thinking about more interesting concepts then the same repeated quest I've done countless times before, I began to think of warcraft baddies, such as in comparison to other gaming genres and there baddies, and something that began to grate when thinking about it, is how much of a failer deathwing was in the end.

Deathwing, who had the title 'destroyer of worlds', isn't it kind of ironic he had that title.. and yet had didn't actually destroy any worlds? I mean he made some earthquakes appear over azeroth, but.. thats about it. He hasn't destroyed any worlds, and all he did in the end was shake some shit up.

Arthas, the lord of undeath, actually did slaughter countless people and raised them into undead, damming there souls.
    Kil'jaeden actually did corrupt an entire race, as well as joined the legion in consuming countless worlds across the universe. And he actually did deceive races, known as the deceiver.
    Even Illidan, the betrayer, did infact betray people and so stands to reason his title.

Yet deathwing? I can honestly say theres never been a more disappointing turn of events then with his character. In the novels he was a charismatic, intelligent and deceiving villain. He spread discord around the human kingdoms, and enjoyed it. Yet he got reduced to a world destroying nothing with no characters or personality, and he can't even make claim to his title, since he never actually destroyed any worlds.
    #boycottchina

no illidan and kael'thas are the worst, because they were never meant to be villains in the first place.

they were antiheroes blizzard made villains for the sake of having flashy names for raid bosses
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe he ever had that title, Sargeras did though.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was really disapointing in the end where he was just inside the maelstrom bleeding all over the place he didnt do a thing all there was were those adds bloods/elementals etc. Kinda sad there was not more action well and ofc there was spine but its the same i said earlier. Deathwing = fail major villian.

nah , as a villain he was pretty good, thing is , DS was for me the worst raid in the history of the game, especially him as a final boss the way they choose to make the encounter

Deleted
    Yep. pretty useless villian. He flew over some zones, made some earthquakes, then died. pretty much this.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They had an opportunity to make this giant molten dragon a intelligent and plotting master of destruction. But instead he just flew around and burnt shit until we killed him. That's not what Deathwing should have been. I believe in Cata we should have at least seen him a few times during questing to get a good feel of his character. and not just in one scene and a boss fight. In wrath we all knew the Lich king, in quests he did horrible things and corrupted the land. Every zone (With the exception of maybe 1) felt his presence. We knew where he was, we knew what he did, we know his evilness, and we saw him throughout Northrend. In Cata we have no clue where he is and it seemed his henchmen were the real bad guys. Horrible execution of a villain of his caliber.

in the books he was this unkillable overly powerfull murdermachine and in the game he was just a target dummy... disappointing indeed.

Can't say I know much about Deathwing prior to WoW, but during WoW he was pretty crap imo. He showed up to shatter the world a bit, grabbed the heads of his children (if that was even him and not Twilight Cult or something), had a chat with Ragnaros and then flew around a bit until we blew him to bits.

I don't feel we learned much about him during Cata. We heard of the other baddies, but Deathwing just didn't feel like the real baddie to me. He just felt like one of many baddies to deal with, not the mastermind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    no illidan and kael'thas are the worst, because they were never meant to be villains in the first place.

they were antiheroes blizzard made villains for the sake of having flashy names for raid bosses
    You doesn't have nothing for claim what blizzard wanted or not. That's just you that like to think so.

About Deathwing, let's say that as villain made sense because there was no reason for being incredibly deceiving anymore, the goal this time was clear to anyone the moment he delicately erupted from Deepholme, and still, going to Stormwind without destroying it was even a smart move because, while not explained, there is a good chance that all that mess served for recruit more twilight cultists (and actually worked with Benedicuts, the very successor of Cho'gall).

But, yeah, if someone must choose a "worst villain", he will gains the title. Too few appereances and those ones said little to nothing, some good lines but never a decent talk about his plans, ideas, thoughts, most of the time he just went around the world burning random things, and when he talk he's nothing more than "I'M THE UNMAKER OF WORLDS, DEATH INCARNATE, I SERVE THE TRUE MASTERS OF THIS WORLD" and so on. Nothing else. Maybe that was intended but with all his background in the novels seemed out of place.

And yeah, the "unmaker of worlds" title is ridicolus, he had just ONE world to unmake and he failed. And the fact that the shadows of the Old Gods were behind ALL in Cataclysm, made him looks just like a blind, mindless and hopeless pawn. Looks which was his destiny in End Time. Even if he won, he would have died. He was nothing more than a pawn for the Olds Gods.
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2013-05-12 at 01:08 PM.

Deathwing should have been fed lore heroes to give him legitimacy in the eyes of newer players who didn't know him from earlier times.

For example, Arthas personally executed his father the king, killed a dreadlord, killed and turned Sylvanas Windrunner, destroyed the kingdom of Lordaeron, and slayed his former mentor Uther. He then conquered Northrend and establish a new kingdom there.

All of these accomplishments built the Lich King's legend. It made him a worthy opponent in the eyes of newer players, and everyone wanted to fight him in the Icecrown raid.

Deathwing needed similar treatment. In his expansion, he needed to slay major lore figures. Destroy empires. Not doing so just makes him look lame and unworthy of your time.

As said before.

Great villain but badly portrayed.

In Warcraft lore? Not a chance. He was poorly used in WoW, thats all. Illidans story in Outland was far worse though. Its sad because both had great stories before WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
    They had an opportunity to make this giant molten dragon a intelligent and plotting master of destruction. But instead he just flew around and burnt shit until we killed him. That's not what Deathwing should have been. I believe in Cata we should have at least seen him a few times during questing to get a good feel of his character. and not just in one scene and a boss fight. In wrath we all knew the Lich king, in quests he did horrible things and corrupted the land. Every zone (With the exception of maybe 1) felt his presence. We knew where he was, we knew what he did, we know his evilness, and we saw him throughout Northrend. In Cata we have no clue where he is and it seemed his henchmen were the real bad guys. Horrible execution of a villain of his caliber.
    This.

It seemed like every major plot element unlocked in WotLK involved Arthas in some way, maybe even cloyingly so -- but at least the main villain was involved. With Deathwing, if you hadn't read the auxiliary novels or played some of the old school Warcraft games, you barely had any idea as to who you were fighting or why you should even care that much. Unless you really loved that guard tower they didn't fix for about a year in Stormwind.

Never read the books so I can't judge from there;

But in game?
    He was stupid.
    Reminded me of a saturday morning cartoon dragon.

"DOHOHO GON BURN ALL YA FIELDS"
    "IM EEEEEEEVIL"

Also Dragon Soul.
    That place needs to burn.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. Deathwing was a flat, boring, and generally uninspired villain. He was a lot better when he was a chessmaster than the mindless brute we met in Cata.

I think they mishandled him.

I agree with everyone saying he was an amazing villain that was just portrayed badly - had so much potential there. : (

And I never really had a dread about deathwing. Do you know why? Because I was hoping he would fly over the zone I'm in so I could be killed by that stupid fire. I NEVER had the luck to be in the right zone at the right time and finally got my achievement when the horrid raid DS came out.

I wish they would have turn him into a master manipulator, deceptive. His daughter did a better job than he did : P They could have even made a repeat of that - and had him as an NPC somewhere during the questing and at the end the human you're working for turned out to be Deathwing and you just helped him further his goals. This would have ATLEAST pulled at my emotions - I'd be angry with myself for helping him, angry at him for tricking me. No emotion was ever invoked towards him other than being like 'can you please just come kill me so I can get my achievement?'

Maybe he was the worst villain in the series in Cata days. But now?

The worst main villain in the series is Garrosh Hellscream by far. It's been 3 patches and I still don't get why we are killing him (I know what he did, but it's not nearly as villain-like as previous villains). Blizzard didn't make him very likeable, but now they are also failing to make him hate-able, the 5.3 preview seems like Blizzard just want to slap some last-minute random reasons for why Alliance/Horde have to kill him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people are inclined to take that position because their only interaction with him before DS was getting Stood in the Fire while in Loch Modan.

Say what you will about the Lich "Dr. Claw" King, but at least he reminded you he was there, screwing up your world.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!