Are Professions with Racial Profession perks good or bad?

Hi anybody got experience about the viability of Professions on factions who have Races with a Racial for that Profession.

Like I would imagine on one hand you can skip some costly Recipes on a lot of stages of levelling the profession both when learning at a new and when a new Expanzion begins but on the other hand this Profession might become overcrowded on your faction because of the racial perk.

Like for example is it a good Idea to pick up Skinning as an Alliance Worgen for faster Levelling and a faster Skinning process or is it more profitable to go with the other gathering Professions because too many people have Worgen Skinners?

Same question for Engineering/Jewelcrafting Alliance and Alchemy/Herbalism Horde

I dont think the racial bonuses have any impact on which professions people choose. They choose the ones that will either give them the best stats or the most gold and all most racial bonuses do is make leveling easier.

The one race/prof combo you will see a lot is Druid gathering alts because they have instant flight form. It used to be pallies we also good for gathering because of crusader aura but since they nerfed it and everyone seems to have at least +10% speed from their guild its not really an advantage anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Hi anybody got experience about the viability of Professions on factions who have Races with a Racial for that Profession.

Like I would imagine on one hand you can skip some costly Recipes on a lot of stages of levelling the profession both when learning at a new and when a new Expanzion begins but on the other hand this Profession might become overcrowded on your faction because of the racial perk.

Like for example is it a good Idea to pick up Skinning as an Alliance Worgen for faster Levelling and a faster Skinning process or is it more profitable to go with the other gathering Professions because too many people have Worgen Skinners?

Same question for Engineering/Jewelcrafting Alliance and Alchemy/Herbalism Horde
    It actually depends which profession you are talking about. At one point of time it played an important part before everything was homogenized. Like Blood Elves got a useful buff to Enchanting and Draenei with Jewelcrafting since you could skip a few expensive skill ups and you could also craft the high end recipes much quicker.

Similarly with Dwarves, it was said to be much easier levelling Archeology on a Dwarf since they found more fragments. However, they buffed the number of fragments pretty quickly too.

Worgens again make it efficient if you plan on levelling LW with a Skinner but it doesn't serve any purpose.

The only one that still helps is Tauren Druids only cause they can instantly loot herbs so it makes it efficient.

Skinning isn't a very profitable profession. You may get lucky on your realm and find it makes a lot of gold but the time involved to farm beasts and kill them would be better put to another crafting or gathering profession. Also since most of the time, the demand for LW mats are often low, you may not find any buyers unless you know someone is levelling LW and is willing to pay you to farm them the mats.

But to answer your question, it serves no purpose in the current state of the game. Old world mats are cheap; blizzard has also introduced and changed a lot of the mats that were required for the older recipes. Like Enchanters don't really have to craft Enchanting Rods and such.

Dude/dudette you put an awful lot of thinking nto professions, just pick a couple and get on with making gold.
    Tauen druids make it easier and more fun to herb, but it isnt everything.

Racial perks don't make your profession better in any way, apart from the Tauren/Worgen gathering speed increase, so I think they are mostly a personal thing. I don't think people take profession racials into account all that much when choosing professions. They are more likely to look at armor proficiency, Class synergy, or simply look at professions they don't have yet and want.

I certainly wouldn't bother taking into account that certain professions might be used more or less on certain factions, I think they'll be pretty even.
    Attack the Argument, not the Person ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

I never understood what purpose the +10 to Engineering Gnome bonus served, as well as similar bonuses for other professions. The Worgen/Tauren bonuses have obvious benefits, but can anyone tell me why starting Engineering or JC at 11/75 instead of 1/75 is any better? It's not like those first few points are hard to get.

What's the difference between a duck?

Quote Originally Posted by Meaux View Post
    I never understood what purpose the +10 to Engineering Gnome bonus served, as well as similar bonuses for other professions. The Worgen/Tauren bonuses have obvious benefits, but can anyone tell me why starting Engineering or JC at 11/75 instead of 1/75 is any better? It's not like those first few points are hard to get.
    It's the first few levels when a new expansion hits that matter, if only for a few minutes.

thats beacause you dont get 10 points once, but you always get +10. if you crafted the same items as someone who has no profession bonus and would be 400, you were at 410. thats extremeley helpful on later skilllelevels as you can skip very expensive bottle neck steps and when you are close to maxlevel as those are really expensive. also there are very cheap recipes that are normally green or grey when you learn them. if you have a professsion eprk, they are green or yellow.

The perks are nice because of the aformentioned faster levelling/harvesting and also because you have access to high level Gathering spots/Recipes. However, there may be other players who think that way and overcrowd that profession, thus increasing competition and reducing YOUR profit.

Like for example I saw Goblins asking in Bnet forums what profession to pick and people suggested Alchemy due to the racial. Are professions with Racial Perks a good pick or is there too much of an abundance from other Players with the same choice.

it really doesnt matter much. the only class u will see matching is tauren druids cause most botters use them to farm herbs and mining quickly. although there is no (faster mining) which kinda makes me lol. dwarves would be the logical race to have faster mining, imo but they are stuck with useless archaeology.

Just like what Kalo said. It isn't that you only get a +10 head start, but you get a passive +10 through out. This means especially at one point of time Enchanting had a couple bottlenecks and blood elves could avoid that by simply converting lesser shards to greater shards and back and forth for 10 entire levels.

Similarly with JC. Its easier avoiding all those bottlenecks. Another massive and underestimated value are usually at the launch of new expansions. Often time mats are really expensive the first few weeks and months. You can literally save up 2000-5000G or even more because of that +10 perk. Not only that , but you get to make the higher level enchants or cuts or recipes quicker than most thus being a step ahead of your competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    being a step ahead of your competitors.
    Either that or you are behind because a lot of people have this thought, and the ones who are a step ahead maybe picked other professions which have lesser competition.

Like I remember making lots of Income from Jewelcrafting as Horde but on Alliance Side, which got Draenei with their +10 JC, I don't even bother buying raw Gems and asking Guilg Members to cut them because cut Gems are so cheap on AH, sometimes even cheaper than cut gems. There were times where Serpent's eye was 3g on AH.

Now this experience is biased because it was a low population Horde Server and a high Population Alliance Server and I wouldn't know if Allys have so many Jewelcrafters because of the Draenei Bonus or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Either that or you are behind because a lot of people have this thought, and the ones who are a step ahead maybe picked other professions which have lesser competition.

Like I remember making lots of Income from Jewelcrafting as Horde but on Alliance Side, which got Draenei with their +10 JC, I don't even bother buying raw Gems and asking Guilg Members to cut them because cut Gems are so cheap on AH, sometimes even cheaper than cut gems. There were times where Serpent's eye was 3g on AH.

Now this experience is biased because it was a low population Horde Server and a high Population Alliance Server and I wouldn't know if Allys have so many Jewelcrafters because of the Draenei Bonus or not.
    thats related to population. on high population servers the economy is in the hands of rather few ah players with all professions on 2+ accs. theres practically no correlation between perks and profession distribution. except bots probably prefer horde slightly due to more income per hour as tauren druid farmer.

I do tend to pick professions that the race will help simply because of skipping expensive parts. Like my blood Elf's enchanting, or goblins alchemy. Stuff like that.

I pick whatever race looks best and the professions I need most at the time. I would never play a space goat or a gnome just to save a bit of gold.

Fincher If you are interested in making gold, then you seem to obsess over minor details such as racial perks and not where it matters such as understanding the basics and how to make sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    I would never play a space goat or a gnome just to save a bit of gold.
    Ye but if people play it for whatever other reason, like because they like their racial Heal or their erotiq hooves, they still see "Jewelcrafting Skill increased" dangling prominently in the Race selection, and later in their Spellbook.

Now you argue that you are an independent thinker and won't let such minor nuances affect your profession choice, and I do too, but from the hundreds of thousands of Draenei Players there should be a bunch who pick Jewelcrafting due to this Racial perk. I mean they can't pick cooking too often as it would be genocide to do the "Fatty Goatsteak" Daily.

Quote Originally Posted by 999tigger View Post
    Fincher you are interested in making gold, you seem to obsess
    It's true and it started some months ago when we wiped a lot during a raid and my thought was "Dang, I'm losing gold over the repair bill and for restocking Food&Flasks&Potions while I could be on my Bank alt making profits instead"
    Last edited by Fincher; 2013-05-16 at 06:27 PM.

Fincher deliberately changing my post and then passing it off as a quote is pathetic.
    If you really want to become efficient at making gold then learn the basics and apply them properly.