Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I wonder how Blizzard feels about Hex

In case you havent heard, the company who Blizzard partnered with to do the WoW tcg, Cryptozoic, launched a kickstarter for its own digital tcg, Hex. It surpassed its funding goal in a matter of days.

http://kck.st/16ZkZIr

What do you guys think of it? I was interested in Hearthstone until I saw this Hex game, which I think seems a lot cooler, although still early to tell. How do you think Blizzard feels about direct competition from their partner company?

it looks like it's completely original, so not much they can do about it.

it does look pretty cool

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea what Blizz thinks, but this is a vastly different game then Heartstone is. It will try to compete in both the TCG and MMO markets, and that will make it all much more complicated and involved. I doubt we'll see this game on a mobile device, for instance.

My opinion is that I'm not interested in starting in a new MMO anyway, and card games (like HS is approaching them) are fun little diversions where I can spend small blocks of 2-3 matches in between other stuff. The idea of having a raid with cards seems rather alien to me, and would be the kind of time consuming card game that I'm not at all interested in. I'm curious about how they'll make things visually interesting though, and how they are going to introduce the epicness of a raid in this format. I'll certainly follow the game's progress, but not with the intent to play.

At least for me, Hex is nothing vs Hearthstone. Hearthstone has much more appealing style, gameplay, easy to learn, great for the eye and has this climate. I can't find myself playing any online card game that hasn't got Hearthstone's mechanics.

We will see spam of card games now, but there will be only one king.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    This feels a whole lot like another certain game genre. *Cough cough (MMORPG)*.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    At least for me, Hex is nothing vs Hearthstone. Hearthstone has much more appealing style, gameplay, easy to learn, great for the eye and has this climate. I can't find myself playing any online card game that hasn't got Hearthstone's mechanics.

Yea it seems there's more depth to Hex, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing for me anymore. I've slowly progressed into a super casual gamer so Hearthstone might be better for me. I'll definitely at least give both a try.

Deleted
    i only intend too play HS as a side game if i got a few minutes too burn.

this Hex seems quite complicated on the first look and that isnt what im really after for a TCG at the moment.
    but if it turns out rather simple too start with i gladly give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I have no idea what Blizz thinks, but this is a vastly different game then Heartstone is. It will try to compete in both the TCG and MMO markets, and that will make it all much more complicated and involved. I doubt we'll see this game on a mobile device, for instance.
    Actually, they've already said that the tech this game is being designed from the ground up to be able to work with tablets/mobile.

Q:I don't know if this was already asked, but do you plan for a mobile / pad release? Or maybe OUYA / Gamestick support? Maybe on stretch goals?
    A:We are planning on a tablet/mobile release. The tech has been built from the ground up to work on tablets and mobile devices. We just don't think we can have that done in time for release, so it will come later. It's been part of the plan all along, though.
    http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23180
    First post, near the bottom.

To be perfectly honest, i'm not sure where the "overly complicated" part is coming from. Sure, you've got the people that are gonna comb through all their cards and find overpowered and broken combos and the like, but you'll get that with anything, Hearthstone included. The PvE aspect seems super casual friendly as well, with the matches all using save states, so you can just drop and come back when you want. I was looking forward to Hearthstone until i found Hex, now i'm very excited for the beta to start in september.
    Last edited by Tricsun; 2013-05-14 at 01:45 AM.

Deleted
    Like most of the youtube comments say on every clip of game-play "it's plays exactly like MTG, same mechanics but with different names, same turned based, phase based, tapping of cards, blocking and accepting of priority based play-style, but with a flashy board that adds nothing."

Until they add the mmo part that they where talking about this is a complete MTG clone, simpler because of less cards then MTG but just as clunky game-play that i always disliked from the online version. In their own youtube comments they don't even deny this, they just say "yes we know it, but we go by the idea of if it's not broken don't fix it" so they blatantly just made a direct MTG ripoff. The reason why i like Hearthstone so much right now i because they actually dealt with what made the game-play so slow and clunky and did so in an elegant manner.

I have no desire to play a game i already play but with a different name. Even if you know where they got the inspiration for the game, at least Hearthstone feels sufficiently different on a very basic level since they revamped mechanics and combat.

Considering most of the Cryptozoic folks are friends with many of the Blizzard people, I'm sure that not only do the Blizzard folks not feel threatened by it, but they're actually looking forward to trying it themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricsun View Post
    Actually, they've already said that the tech this game is being designed from the ground up to be able to work with tablets/mobile.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23180
    First post, near the bottom.

To be perfectly honest, i'm not sure where the "overly complicated" part is coming from. Sure, you've got the people that are gonna comb through all their cards and find overpowered and broken combos and the like, but you'll get that with anything, Hearthstone included. The PvE aspect seems super casual friendly as well, with the matches all using save states, so you can just drop and come back when you want. I was looking forward to Hearthstone until i found Hex, now i'm very excited for the beta to start in september.
    Oh well that's interesting. Not sure how the "matches all using save states" is supposed to work though. That makes me think it's more a single player game with online grouping then it is what we normally know as an MMO. MMO's as I've come to expect them have at least mostly attempts at persistent online worlds, and at least mostly attempts to have people populate that world. I figured they'd made a game where the combat was replaced with a card game, but obiously that's an incorrect assumption.

As I said, I'm not looking for a new MMO, and if people are correct about the MTG clone, then the game play isn't going to be my cup of tea either. Not sure if I'm interested to get more knowledge about the game at this point. I'll wait for more information when beta rolls around. I might have a look around then if there's an open beta.

I doubt they're too worried about it. Hearthstone is a neat free game, nothing too complex for your average player. Hex looks to be much more involved and deep than Hearthstone, and it's an MMO. Hex looks more like a competitor to Magic and such that is to be a major game, while Hearthstone is a little neat thing that Blizzard can have fun with, a neat game to play for fun now and then, not a major gamebreaker that's gonna compete in the TCG market.

i dont know how blizzard feels but I feel its awesome its another game for me to play

I don't think they will be competing actually. Watching Hex, it basically looked exactly like the online version of MTG (with the added mmo aspects obviously, just the feel/look of the actual board), where as HS looks like anyone, even if you aren't really into TCGs can delve in and have fun.

The thing about Bliz is, they make games which are easy to play and hard to master, and if you just compare the art style of the game arena you can clearly see that they are two different beasts (Hex and HS)

Personally I've never ever been interested in card games as such, but I will be playing the shit out of Hearthstone, and Hex really didn't interest me at all just like when I see MTG videos, although the promo video for Hex was entertaining and I wish them all the success in the world with their game, more competition is good for the development of Hearthstone after all
    Last edited by Thorim; 2013-05-14 at 03:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are enough differences that I can't imagine it'd be an issue. I'm not sure I'd like the hard-to-get-into-and-hard-to-master style of Hex vs Blizzard, which is usually easier to grasp and hard to master.

The more games the better for the consumer. Who cares how Blizzard feels about it?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Might try it out. Would like to see a full 3D battlefield for MTG though. Both DotPW and MTG Online really blows - bad interfaces and choppy gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Like most of the youtube comments say on every clip of game-play "it's plays exactly like MTG, same mechanics but with different names, same turned based, phase based, tapping of cards, blocking and accepting of priority based play-style, but with a flashy board that adds nothing."

Until they add the mmo part that they where talking about this is a complete MTG clone, simpler because of less cards then MTG but just as clunky game-play that i always disliked from the online version. In their own youtube comments they don't even deny this, they just say "yes we know it, but we go by the idea of if it's not broken don't fix it" so they blatantly just made a direct MTG ripoff. The reason why i like Hearthstone so much right now i because they actually dealt with what made the game-play so slow and clunky and did so in an elegant manner.

I have no desire to play a game i already play but with a different name. Even if you know where they got the inspiration for the game, at least Hearthstone feels sufficiently different on a very basic level since they revamped mechanics and combat.
    that's actually part of why i like Hearthstone. i love Magic, but being at the mercy of land draws has always been frustrating to deal with, especially if you play multi-color. getting one mana crystal (aka land) a turn no matter what just makes so much more sense

Competition is good. Keep Blizzard on their toes

10+ Year Old Account
    Apples to oranges. Besides Hex could be amazing, but it is a new IP which equals 'Hex? What's that?' for most people. Hearthstone is a Warcraft game which is about as recognizable a brand as it gets.

A Star Wars MMO made by Bioware couldn't compete with WoW... I seriously doubt they're worried about Hex.