Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    It'd have to drop a lot more than it has for there to be any real impact on what Blizzard does. Even if it dropped to something like 5 million, they wouldn't exactly be cutting any developers loose.

To get more subs, in general? More content that doesn't wear out quickly. The game currently has an issue with content becoming quickly irrelevant (normally in one or two patches) and this should change as much as possibly. Content like battlegrounds are eternal (they're never outdated by gear or levels), and perhaps they should look into PvE alternatives. Challenge mode gear scaling is a great start for this.
    Content scaling would be a great way to have. That would keep a lot of people busy, at least I hope. But I don't want them to do the same thing as they did with ZA/ZG. Release redone instances, and trash the originals. There needs to be an option which would allow you to switch in between old and new instance, kinda like heroic or normal mode. I mean I still love soloing or running with friends raids such as AQ40 or BWL for transmog gear or for good old times.

Deleted
    They need to bring back the old talent tree since this one doesn´t feel rewarding when you lvl up. They also need to remove the farmfest for valor and rep if they´re gonna release content faster. Why farm your butt off for an item when there´s soon a new patch with better items? They shouldn´t force players to play the speccs they don´t want to play just to get most dmg out of their char. They should merge servers to solve the low population servers. They should remove LFR since it´s a content destroyer, there is always youtube for the folks that want to see all the content. They should remove the same lockout for 10 - 25man, bring back the Wrath model since that one worked. Blizzard really should listen more to their community and stop being soo arrogant like they´ve been the last few years. They also should fix the pvp problems, not all people like to play pve.

That´s some of the problems atm.
    Last edited by mmoce01e91b901; 2013-05-13 at 08:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    create another expansion just like they have done every single time. I think many of you don't realize that the subs tend to fluctuate based on lulls in content. Will kick back up when another raid is released then go down low until the new patch comes outs. In between now and then you'll have some dude championing 'Wow is Dead!!' for whatever reason I have no clue, not like he has any vested interest in Blizzard. To counter him you'll have all kinds of people fervently defending WoW because it's so near and dear to their hearts, again they have no real interest other than the fact they love the game so intently it hurts them when the picture a life without it. Both sides are pretty entertaining because of their deep emotional involvement with a company who other than their 15/ month doesn't really give a shit about them. Sorry I got off on a tangent there just reading about 6000 similar posts to this over the past 5 years has made me pretty cynical and numb to the WoW community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobblez View Post
    Content scaling would be a great way to have. That would keep a lot of people busy, at least I hope. But I don't want them to do the same thing as they did with ZA/ZG. Release redone instances, and trash the originals. There needs to be an option which would allow you to switch in between old and new instance, kinda like heroic or normal mode. I mean I still love soloing or running with friends raids such as AQ40 or BWL for transmog gear or for good old times.
    Designing a way for players to add content--like scenarios as an example--would be another good way to extend the life of the game.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

A Burning Legion themed Xpac would be awesome! I'm sure a lot of people that don't play the game anymore would come back for that expansion. As long as Blizzard doesn't screw up and make another Deathwing out of Sargeras.
    Final boss fight would be called the Insanity of Sargeras and involve hopping around on four asteroids in the Twisting Nether.

NOOOOOO. I am going to have nightmares now. LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add 1-2 vanilla to wrath servers and let people sub on those for 10 a month. If they want to progress they move to 15 a month and get 1-2 free character transfers to movie from the special servers to the normal community ones.

Deleted
    I am pretty sure that WoW is in decline.

Will there be peaks and troughs, for sure I can see that.

Start of an expansion will usually see an influx of people for example.

To me it comes down to something very simple.

1) The number of new people who have not played WoW before is decreasing.

2) There are people who are just "done" with paying a sub every month for an MMO.

3) There is better competition than there was "back in the day".

To me this has has very little to do with the game, and in fact I think the game is in the best place it has ever been, it is a natural decline.

I detest with a passion, people on this forum who go "OMFG I KNOW HOW TO SAVE WOW I CAN'T BELIEVE BLIZZARD CAN'T SEE IT".

Some cracking suggestions we have had this week are.

1) Remove LFD.

2) Remove LFR.

3) Classic Servers.

Back seat developers who have no idea about business they have very little data compared to what Blizzard has and have zero experience running a multi national gaming company, but of course THEY know how to save WoW from in front of their PC. ./sigh

Blizzard are trying to make the best game they can and as GC said yesterday "Keep playing and we'll keep developing."

I also think WoW will go F2P this will be the time they think they can make MORE money from being F2P rather than being sub based.

I think that time is quite a way off.

10+ Year Old Account
    ROFL now thats funny, Rebecca!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Designing a way for players to add content--like scenarios as an example--would be another good way to extend the life of the game.
    Now that is one of the best suggestions (by far) I have seen this week, they would obviously have to be pretty clever about it (we can't have a scenario where someone kills Garrosh before SoO for example).
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2013-05-13 at 08:16 AM.

take from that thread about tinkers and 4th spec - if they give that, youll see 10 million subs start of next xpac

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzdoctor View Post
    They need to rebalance realms.
    That would help a great deal.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

ROFL now thats funny, Rebecca!!
    LOL, yeah. But in all seriousness, as I said, I think their best bet at this time would be to try and put out an expansion theme that has really broad appeal. I think the Pandaren theme was just really divisive. People seemed to either really love it or really hate it. I don't think this game will ever, ever have the numbers it reached in WotLK again, but I think some (not all, but some) older players who did play for a long time might come back to see a majorly important lore figure/storyline. I can't say how it actually worked out (maybe someone else can let me know if it turned out differently) since I didn't play from the start and my free trial ran out before I could get all the patches downloaded (ugh...), but when reading everything Blizzard put out about MoP, it really came across to me as a sort of "side trip."
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2013-05-13 at 08:17 AM.

Sometimes there's just nothing that can be done. WoW is an excellent game and MoP is the best expansion yet, but subs still drop. There's many external factors that are at play here, and aren't necessarily the fault of Blizzard:

1. Competition. There's more MMOs around, more choice, so naturally WoW will lose some of the market share.

2. Age. The game is old, which contributes to a feeling of having 'seen it all', even if by all logic you haven't.

3. The economic climate. In an industry that constantly costs more and more money to be a part of (peripherals, DLC, new console generation starting soon, etc.), it's difficult to justify spending a subscription when a lot of people are pretty strapped for cash. Sure, the subscription is relatively cheap, but chances are people don't just play WoW. They'll make a decision to focus on WoW or something else, and there's people who are choosing that 'something else' option. Not due to a lack of quality; people simply have different preferences.

I honestly don't think there's anything specific that Blizzard can do to re-gain subs. I think it's out of their control. All they can do is just keep making high quality content, which they are. The people who stay subbed will appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    take from that thread about tinkers and 4th spec - if they give that, youll see 10 million subs start of next xpac
    4th specs might give the game a short term boom in subs but it wouldn't last long. Adding another 10 specs to the game to balance would create tons of issues in pvp and pve.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Imo they need to develop new content that is something other than "new dungeon" "new raid" "new daily hub".
    Something new and exciting and not just more of the same.

New char models and Dance Studio would be two good examples.

Yes they have data, they doesn't make them infallible. I mean, just look at how much they changed from Cata launch to final tier. Obviously, they guessed wrong on some things.

I still say making 10s equal to 25s impacted the game far more then players are willing to accept. Keeping a 25 man raiding guild together required more energy to be put into the game, going 10man requires less energy and resources and when you put less energy into something the results can only be negative.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    Yes they have data, they doesn't make them infallible. I mean, just look at how much they changed from Cata launch to final tier. Obviously, they guessed wrong on some things.
    For sure, in no way do I think Blizzard is perfect.

There are several things I would change personally (I think Normal Raids right now are a bit to unforgiving just now for example).

But do I trust Blizzard more than someone sitting in from of there PC screen going "OMFG BLIZZARD CAN'T YOU SEE WHATS WRONG, I KNOW HOW TO SAVE WOW".

Yes I do, by a long long way.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A few folks here "get it". Most don't.

Every game suffers natural attrition, but the game is sustained by continually recruiting new players. Unfortunately the older WoW gets, the harder it becomes to attract new players simply because no one really wants to give an old game a look.

Releasing new expansions is always a good way to inject new blood into the game, but even that will continue to weaken over time because, at its core WoW is old.

That being said, if Blizzard want to keep WoW going for as long as possible, they need to continue managing the game so that it continues to appeal to, and retain as many existing players as possible, while being accessible to new players. These 2 ideas are not always compatible.

Most of the suggestions I read on this site every day (remove LFR, flying mounts, etc) are poorly thought out ideas that will kill the game in a heartbeat. They are made by people who cannot see the bigger picture or empathise with anyone other than themselves, and fail to understand what other people find enjoyable.

For the most part, I think Blizzard are doing a pretty decent job - close to what is possible in terms of keeping the game alive by continuing to release quality content that offers something for (almost) everyone.

One point I agree with people about is the issue of server numbers: If they can figure out how to balance server populations (no more low pop servers, balanced alliance horde populations on every realm) I think it would really help the game's cause. That being said I understand that this is no small challenge for them.

the players in here pretending that WoW losing subs is some sign of it dying or being bad are just plain stupid.

WoW is coming up its 9th year, its had over 8 million players for almost 9 years straight....nothing has even come close to that in terms of play to pay mmos.

people need to realize that new games come out, and people want to try new things, not new WoW things, whole new games. so they unsub and go play something else. for example, when SWTOR came out, i unsubbed to WoW to go try it, didnt enjoy it, came back to WoW

get over yourselves people, WoW one day will have 6 million subs, then 5 million, then 4 million, etc. are you really gonna flip out and scream "THE GAME IS DEAD" at each point?