Poll: Who IS Rock and ROll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    that was actually the Grammys' mistake, not the RRHoF (though wowisme is incorrect, they were inducted just this year) Tull was given the Grammy for Best Metal Album instead of Metallica, proving for all time that the people in charge of the Grammys know metal better than anyone on the planet...
    Even Ian Anderson mocks that decision by the Grammys, and it was their decision that got him the aware, lol.

What makes it even funnier, in the early 70's, Tull WAS heavy compared to most music out there...I mean, only Sabbath and Zep were really doing heavier music in 1970. So yeah, at that point, a case at least COULD be argued for them being "metal"(and they WERE hugely influential on a lot of metal that came afterwards, a lot of people don't realize just how much so). But by the time Crest of a Knave rolled around(that was the album that won the Grammy), there was no way you could even argue them being metal(and they certainly didn't consider themselves metal). Ian is pretty sure they only won it as a sort of "late acknowledgement" of their influence on the genre, rather than because they actually deserved to win it for that album.

Deleted
    The Monks

/10char

Deleted
    Of the Bands listed i went with the stones but SOOOOO many other choices.. Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, CCR, AC/DC (maybe more metal), Aerosmith, WOW, So many great bands out there and all have left there mark on newer generations of bands.

AC/DC I think embodies everything great about hard rock before it morphed into proper metal. They also have the second highest selling album of all time right behind Michael Jackson, which I think says a lot about them.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    that was actually the Grammys' mistake, not the RRHoF (though wowisme is incorrect, they were inducted just this year) Tull was given the Grammy for Best Metal Album instead of Metallica, proving for all time that the people in charge of the Grammys know metal better than anyone on the planet...

I don't know if I could actually decide on one genre-defining rock band, whether one of those on the list or someone else; it's just too broad of a spectrum to pin down like that
    Can you link please? I checked the Tull official website and the list of the RRHOF 2013 inductees. If they have been inducted (finally) t'would be joyous news indeed!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowisme View Post
    Can you link please? I checked the Tull official website and the list of the RRHOF 2013 inductees. If they have been inducted (finally) t'would be joyous news indeed!
    argh, it appears I have an apology to make here; I didn't read the full article I went to (bad, I know) and took the snippets from google to mean that Tull had been inducted, when what I was looking at is apparently from that page's comments section, someone listing a bunch of bands that should be in but aren't...

so, I guess it appears that the RRHoF is as far off base as the Grammys; we have Public Enemy in, we have goddamn Abba in, but leave actual ROCK bands in the snow... I guess at least they finally decided to let Rush in...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    argh, it appears I have an apology to make here; I didn't read the full article I went to (bad, I know) and took the snippets from google to mean that Tull had been inducted, when what I was looking at is apparently from that page's comments section, someone listing a bunch of bands that should be in but aren't...

so, I guess it appears that the RRHoF is as far off base as the Grammys; we have Public Enemy in, we have goddamn Abba in, but leave actual ROCK bands in the snow... I guess at least they finally decided to let Rush in...
    No apologies needed. I freely admit to frequently being quite guilty of the same thing. As for the rest, I agree. And yes, they finally acknowleged Rush!

The Rolling Stones and The Who honestly. Voted for The Who because I like their music a lot better.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't know if I could actually decide on one genre-defining rock band, whether one of those on the list or someone else; it's just too broad of a spectrum to pin down like that
    Well, to be fair, people called Led Zeppelin heavy metal long before bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest showed up. People should really watch the Metal Revolution biography as it covers how the genre came to be. Bands like Jethro Tull and Led Zeppelin were considered heavy metal because their music was louder and more aggressive then what was at the time, considered rock and roll. Genres are subjective, even Jethro Tull was never a full fledged rock band, though you could say a lot of their stuff is hard rock mixed with folk, while Led Zeppelin was more hard rock with both blues and folk influences impacting their music.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    what? a decent thread on MMOC? I cant believe it, kudos to Darnash!

Musically speaking I would go with Queen with Beatles being a close second on that list. But I must agree as someone already posted if an alien landed on Earth and asked for the typical R'n'R band, I would have to show them Stones stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if you narrow "Rock 'n Roll" band down to just playing Rock 'n Roll then artists and bands of the 50's are the ones you need to look at, not any of the bands from this poll.

If you look at it as which is the definitive Rock music band, then I feel you need to look at bands that transended one particular sound, but kept growing and evolving. Rock of the 50's is different then that of the 60's or 70's or 00's. The fact Rock is ever evolving means it's hard to pick one particular band.

If you forced me to choose 1 band, then I'd have to say the Beatles. They shaped Rock music (and music in general) far more then any other band before or after, especially from that poll list. If you listen through the entire Beatles collection, and not just judge them off the more popular early stuff, you'll find some mind blowing music and sounds that are often even now still quite relevant. Listen to this song for instance, how the use of beats and sound effects compares to modern music, and then realise it's an almost 50 year old song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tisjsgsgtZU

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I am torn on this one I love the Beatles and The Rolling Stones almost neck and neck. I would say if we are looking at Rock n' Roll I would have to go with Rolling Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I think if you narrow "Rock 'n Roll" band down to just playing Rock 'n Roll then artists and bands of the 50's are the ones you need to look at, not any of the bands from this poll.

If you look at it as which is the definitive Rock music band, then I feel you need to look at bands that transended one particular sound, but kept growing and evolving. Rock of the 50's is different then that of the 60's or 70's or 00's. The fact Rock is ever evolving means it's hard to pick one particular band.

If you forced me to choose 1 band, then I'd have to say the Beatles. They shaped Rock music (and music in general) far more then any other band before or after, especially from that poll list. If you listen through the entire Beatles collection, and not just judge them off the more popular early stuff, you'll find some mind blowing music and sounds that are often even now still quite relevant. Listen to this song for instance, how the use of beats and sound effects compares to modern music, and then realise it's an almost 50 year old song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tisjsgsgtZU
    TBH, I came very, very close to including Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, and Buddy Holly in the poll. But, as you said, rock quickly progressed past what these guys were doing, so it's not easy to say that they still define the genre as we view it today. Furthermore, I think the lack of mention of them in this thread (while sad) is evidence enough as to the reason for their exclusion. And I suppose I need to broaden my knowledge of the Beatles, but hey, I had the foresight to include them at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well, to be fair, people called Led Zeppelin heavy metal long before bands like Black Sabbath
    Umm, what? Zeppelin and Sabbath both formed in '68. Zep's first album debuted in Jan '69, Sabbath's in Feb '70. Remind me again how, exactly, Zep were called heavy metal "long" before Sabbath showed up? They showed up the same year, and EVEN IF you just go by album releases, Zep only beat Sab to the punch by a year, hardly what I would call "long before" the arrival of Sabbath.

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 02:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Darnash View Post
    TBH, I came very, very close to including Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, and Buddy Holly in the poll. But, as you said, rock quickly progressed past what these guys were doing, so it's not easy to say that they still define the genre as we view it today. Furthermore, I think the lack of mention of them in this thread (while sad) is evidence enough as to the reason for their exclusion. And I suppose I need to broaden my knowledge of the Beatles, but hey, I had the foresight to include them at least!
    I had considered asking about Elvis and Berry, but I decided against it, as these days when people talk about "rock and roll", they very well may be referring to The Stones, The Who, Zep, etc instead of a "modern" band...whereas they're only likely to be referring to Elvis or Chuck Berry if they're 60+ years old, those guys, despite being incredibly influential, aren't what I would say comes to mind when someone thinks of a "rock and roll band".

And to the dude who wrote this:
    "If you forced me to choose 1 band, then I'd have to say the Beatles. They shaped Rock music (and music in general) far more then any other band before or after, especially from that poll list. If you listen through the entire Beatles collection, and not just judge them off the more popular early stuff, you'll find some mind blowing music and sounds that are often even now still quite relevant."

I already explained that I don't think influence is the same thing as being "definitive". Yes, they had a profound influence on music that came after them, but if you want to show someone a stereotypical example of a "rock star", do you point to Jagger, or do you point to Lennon? If someone wants to hear a stereotypical "rock and roll song", you could pick almost any Stones song you wanted and it would qualify...would you say the same about Hey Jude, Yellow Submarine, Rocky Raccoon, or Lucy in the Sky? By the same logic, classical composers had a profound influence on modern music too, but if someone asks for a classical CD, I'm not gonna give em Yngwie Malmsteen or Necrophagist, despite both bands being extremely influenced by classical.

Not a big fan of the Rolling Stones, but I'd be hard pressed to deny their importance. I guess I'd say The Rolling Stones represent the ideal of what 'Rock n Roll' was, while the Beatles represented what Rock could be, having run the gamut between so many things.

That's not to take anything away from all the other influential bands who pushed the boundaries or altered our understanding of the genre over the last 50 years.