In Diablo III, the Wizard is the equivalent of the mage in WoW; but instead of mana, he use a resource called Arcane Power.
Arcane Power is limited but very quick to refill. And it associated with spell that help replenish it and spell that have a big cost.
If this model was transposed in WoW, what did you think the result would be ?
For fire, I was thinking of some like this :
- regen rate : 40s to full
- fireball and scorch cost no AP
- arcane power on spell/DoT Crit
- Pyroblast cost 80% in arcane power
- hot streak : reduce the cost of the next Pyro by 25%
- inferno blast : 100% crit for procing hot streak
For arcane, it can be really good in design :
- regen rate : 60s to full
- mastery : increase damage based on AP level
- Arcane Blast : cast 10%, cast increase for each stack
- Arcane Missile : each damage give 1% AP
- Arcane Barrage : clear stack and cost no mana
- Arcane Power : increase maximum Arcane Power by 20% for 20s
It's just another crazy idea but it could make a good change.