Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    No, he didn't admit to any such thing. I'm one of the 1.3 million who can't be arsed playing at the moment, but I really hate seeing people mangling the english language in this way.
    What GC said was that they removed the need to group with specific in group content by introducing group finder tools but they didn't implement ways for players to value the people that have been found for them in the group finder. So, actually that quote means the opposite of what you claim it does. There are literally a ton of GC comments you can use to prove your point of him "losing it", this isn't one of them.
    No...it means what it says. Stop looking for a deeper meaning where there is none.

    I think the statement is really dumb, but I'l well aware that it isn't just GC his call alone and see no reason to bash him...but I do put blame on Blizz as a company for making such stupid choices.

  2. #22
    Herald of the Titans Valarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    2,726
    It is a bit of a weird thing to say.

    However, one of his other recent tweets (and the ending of that quote) indicates they want to find ways for you to value, and even befriend some of the random players you meet. I myself will occasionally swap tags with some cool people, but I think I'm very much in the minority there. A lot of people seem to just want to be left alone and sit in silence. If players don't want to socialise and group up, creating content that requires groups is a hard sell.

    If they can foster the good side of the community and encourage people to not be so sheltered or at the very least stop being jerks to one another then who knows. Then again this is sort of a Blizzard created problem because they were the ones who threw server reputation and the need for good behaviour if you want to be invited for things out the window with faceless, nameless groups with a retarded 15 minute kick cooldown from the dungeon start. Being a spastic 9 times out of 10 wont get you removed at the moment.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    It is awesome, because a large portion of players do not have friends available to play with at all times.

    Way to misinterpret GC there.
    So you don't have to make friends and he considers that a good thing in an MMO. How is that misinterpreted? It's exactly what he is saying.

    Not that it is something new but the fact that he thinks it is awesome is new.

    It's really not awesome for an MMO to have millions of players playing it but not caring about eachother or trying to socialize.

  4. #24
    Herald of the Titans Theodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,839
    Raiding and PvP require a solid group of set people in order to not burn through it within a month or 2 (LFR, random BGs until gear capped) If they've removed the need to have friends to see content then the content they've created isn't sustainable as you won't have developed the social ties to experience heroic raids or RBG/Arena teams in their fullest, so you will likely see the majority of people not bothering and quitting because there's nothing left for them to do.

    If people aren't pushed in to forming social groups then it just doesn't happen. It should, but it doesn't. Sometimes forcing people down a path is the only way to get something to happen. It's past time that Blizzard created solo content that wasn't also the same as group content (e.g. LFR/LFD) which allowed people to experience a watered down version. The step needed to progress on to the 'full' version isn't taken, so it just doesn't happen.

    I'm not so certain that the need to have friends to see content was a bad design as the game was popular when that was the case, and now that they've moved away from it guilds are shrinking in size, disbanding, and servers populations are declining, all of which seem to be the symptom of something that can't quite be nailed down as a definitive reason for the decline.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

  5. #25
    OP, while I dislike GC (to say it very gently), you took his words completely out of context. I guess that this thread will be locked soon.

  6. #26
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,810
    You people are literally taking his words out of context.

    This is why you rage at GC instead of, you know, understanding what he is saying. Calm down, kids. It's a game.

  7. #27
    They removed the need for friends in order to see content as in they added the option to be grouped with random strangers automatically without having to wait for your friends/guildies so you can form a group. He did NOT say "We removed the need for friends, which is awesome." Note the "IN ORDER TO SEE CONTENT" part. They added the OPTION to go WITHOUT your friends, but you still have the OPTION to queue with your friends.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    No...it means what it says. Stop looking for a deeper meaning where there is none.

    I think the statement is really dumb, but I'l well aware that it isn't just GC his call alone and see no reason to bash him...but I do put blame on Blizz as a company for making such stupid choices.
    I'm well aware that it means what it says without having to delve into a deeper subtext of the statement (should one even exist). Operative word in said sentence is "need", with people (three now depressingly) getting hung up with his use of "friends" as a synonym for specific people and strangely enough "awesome". LFD was introduced in 3.3, LFR and CRZ were introduced in 4.3; if it took until this comment for you to realise that the need for friends was removed from this game I'm not surprised you are misreading a simple sentence. Now, the argument that said tools were wrong for the game is a different argument to the original comment of "philosophy of not needing other people to play an MMO is absolute ... shite?" which I was originally answering to, and until my Shadow Priest can solo all current content I'm going to disagree with.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    They removed the need for friends in order to see content as in they added the option to be grouped with random strangers automatically without having to wait for your friends/guildies so you can form a group. He did NOT say "We removed the need for friends, which is awesome." Note the "IN ORDER TO SEE CONTENT" part. They added the OPTION to go WITHOUT your friends, but you still have the OPTION to queue with your friends.
    Nope. You do not understand.

    I'm literaly aversed against the philosophy that not needing friends (wether they are RL or online friends, made in the game) are not needed to see content. Wether they added the -option- to do it with other people (who are just a bunch of randoms) is beside the point.

    I did not take anything out of context or understood anything out of context. People are taking the OP out of context, assuming it's implying things which it isn't.
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦

  10. #30
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    People are taking the OP out of context, assuming it's implying things which it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Anyone else that feels that this philosophy of not needing other people to play an MMO is absolute ... shite?
    You're saying GC said you don't need other people, while in the blizzquote it says something else.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You're saying GC said you don't need other people, while in the blizzquote it says something else.
    Friends are not people?
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦

  12. #32
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Friends are not people?
    All people are friends?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    They removed the need for friends in order to see content as in they added the option to be grouped with random strangers automatically without having to wait for your friends/guildies so you can form a group. He did NOT say "We removed the need for friends, which is awesome." Note the "IN ORDER TO SEE CONTENT" part. They added the OPTION to go WITHOUT your friends, but you still have the OPTION to queue with your friends.
    They are still disencouraging people from socializing. I don't think that is a good thing.

  14. #34
    OP never understood the quote to begin with. This thread is pointless and dumb, grasping for negativity based on misinterpretation. These forums have really let themselves go lately with allowing people to post threads like this that are only begging for negativity at anything they can possibly misinterpret for their own trollish cause.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    All people are friends?
    Indeed not.

    It just rubs me the wrong way how he said it was 'awesome'. I don't like the whole 'let's turn this mmo into a single player experience'-philosophy.

    Getting bunched up with a bunch of randomly selected people in a queue does nothing good to the game, nor does it make a game an MMO. If that was the case then SimCity can be called an MMO too.
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦

  16. #36
    Herald of the Titans Keosen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    2,654
    I'm actually finding this quote exceptional.
    You don't have to play with friends in order to see what we have created.
    We should have add something in it's place.

    Simple words, perfect sense.

  17. #37
    Legendary! Asmekiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maybe over there
    Posts
    6,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    It just rubs me the wrong way how he said it was 'awesome'. I don't like the whole 'let's turn this mmo into a single player experience'-philosophy.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Turning the game into a single player experience?

  18. #38
    WoW is now a single player RPG, with MMO elements.

    it's not an MMORPG any more, other players ingame might as well be npc's, i need no interaction with them - might as well have AI tanks and healers, which you could rent for gold to help you solo everything in game.
    where's the goddamned ESO sub forum?

  19. #39
    Removing the "need to have friends" to see content is one of the things that began the decline in community for the game. When it no longer matters how you treat the random people you get grouped with, especially when they're from some other realm, people become complete tools. Even if it's only a small percentage that act like total assholes, you end up with people feeling alienated and quitting the game. The old system that required you to actually have to live with your reputation as a horrible person and a shitty player was a lot better. If people want to see content they should have learned how to play better with others and found like-minded individuals to group with.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    WoW is now a single player RPG, with MMO elements.

    it's not an MMORPG any more, other players ingame might as well be npc's, i need no interaction with them - might as well have AI tanks and healers, which you could rent for gold to help you solo everything in game.

    All aboard the hyperbole ship, ahoy!


    Avast ye logic, aye!

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •