Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If they made LFR Versions (in difficulty) available for premade groups and with manual loot dist. + shared lockout I would be interested how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    If any effing gaming company thinks, forcing people to do stuff in predetermined groups of 25 people is the way to go, don't do it in endgame only, make it necessary going from level 1 to level 2. Then you will really see how much the market loves enforced grouping. That everquest shit should have died out with everquest.
    Exactly this. People whine that they took away group quests and elite mobs you needed a group to defeat and that somehow ruins "immersion"... do these people even understand WHY? Having group quests is great when the game is new. Having a big, bad elite that you need to get other people to help with is great when the game is new. When the game is old and most people are well past that quest, you have nobody to group with for that group quest. You have nobody to help you kill the elite. You can ask your guild/pay a random person but there's less immersion in having a high-level show up and oneshot the beast than there is in not having it there at all.

They HAVE to remove the need to know people, because the people who don't get shafted. If you're in a huge guild with 50+ players on at all times of the day and over a hundred at peak hours, it wouldn't affect you at all. If you're in a guild with a handful of people and you work at night and everyone else works during the day, there won't be anyone on to group with you for things, so removing the need "for friends" was a great idea. What they need to add is a way to make new friends. RealID and BattleTags kind of make this possible, but they can do more.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Mod Voice

MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. Where exactly does it say those people need to be your friends? It's just like in the real world. That's massive multiplayer too, but you can still choose to have no social interaction whatsoever. I really don't understand why people always want to force other people to make friends, be social and have content only suited for groups of friends. You should be able to play with a group. Period. No friends, just other people. Random is fine, if you like that. MMO never meant that you should be social and make friends, it just means there are a lot of people online.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    WoW is now a single player RPG, with MMO elements.

it's not an MMORPG any more, other players ingame might as well be npc's, i need no interaction with them - might as well have AI tanks and healers, which you could rent for gold to help you solo everything in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    I got plenty of social interaction in game. Around the same level as in classic. Maybe you are doing something wrong?
    that would be the MMO elements - design wise, everything is do-able single player, not everything is solo-able, but everything is now designed to be single player accessible. you dont have to have any interaction with other players to feel as though you have completed the game.

that doesn't mean that players shouldn't interact with other players - all i mean is you can treat every other player ingame as an AI npc if you want to.

you can play the entire game without friends or social interaction, that makes it a single player rpg. the fact that you can join in and be social is now an option. it used to be mandatory.

that is the distinction i am trying to make.

(also just because i say i need no interaction with other players, doesn't mean i actually play that way - i'm just saying you could easily play that way without thinking anything of it.)

which is part of the problem as to why SWTOR didn't do so well, it was desgined as a single player RPG with MMO elements. WoW was designed as an MMORPG, but has devolved over the years due to the desire for accessibility, into a single player RPG with MMO elements.
    <insert witty signature here>

I don't find it needed to have friends to see content. Can't say it's awesome though because it's certainly not as awesome as seeing content WITH a friend, particularly IRL friends.

Troll altoholic | Windrunner and Barthilas Horde

@Arothand is right, obviously. But as a side comment, I think that if all mobs and quests in WoW were turned into elites, people could still solo the game with no difficulty whatsoever.

You know he also said "the solo LFR guy won't be a long-term player" so he gets the message. I wouldn't worry about them getting the message. You should worry about what they will do what that message.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

I think this is a major point of what has ruined WoW. By not needing friends, you don't need to be nice to other people, to talk etc. One thing that made WoW strong in face of the competition was just that, a strong community. Now the sense of community is weakening... and as such so is the game, in the end, many people play MMOs to be with other people with similar interests... but what if those people don't even bother to talk since... they don't need to? Then people go and find other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    What if you don't have any friends in game? I think it's good if you are playing by yourself or none of your friends are available to do it with you.
    Gee, I don't know, whatever could you do? You'd be forced to be lost and alone like the people were before LFR, LFD etc, right? Oh, wait, people who didn't have friends in the game back then... made some. By, you know, talking.

---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    MMO = Massive Multiplayer Online. Where exactly does it say those people need to be your friends? It's just like in the real world. That's massive multiplayer too, but you can still choose to have no social interaction whatsoever. I really don't understand why people always want to force other people to make friends, be social and have content only suited for groups of friends. You should be able to play with a group. Period. No friends, just other people. Random is fine, if you like that. MMO never meant that you should be social and make friends, it just means there are a lot of people online.
    Because that's what MMOs are about... Making bonds with other people. What you want is a multiplayer game, not an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    -Snip-
    IMHO, OP is full of shit. If I needed to have 4 or more people online every time I log in to do something, well, it goes without saying I wouldn't be playing this game. When I first started playing, did I need friends to kill those wolves? No. Was it a bad thing? Fuck no.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollShaman View Post
    I don't find it needed to have friends to see content. Can't say it's awesome though because it's certainly not as awesome as seeing content WITH a friend, particularly IRL friends.
    You do realize that this doesnt make content any better? Instead of boosting a shitty activity by doing it with friend you could just do something else in the first place.

In my opinion WoW (and any other MMO) without friends or at least random people with whom I can have a nice conversation is comparable to a single player game with a half-assed story, long queues and boring grinds. Why on Earth would I want to play such a game (and usually end up paying more money then for single player games)?
    Last edited by senkyen; 2013-05-13 at 11:27 AM.

Why does it anger the OP that people who choose to play differently than him are able to do so?

It is awesome that you don't NEED to socialize with others if you choose not to for some people, and while thats certainly not how i would choose to play, it's great that people who want to solo play for their own reasons are getting value for money and a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    What if you don't have any friends in game? I think it's good if you are playing by yourself or none of your friends are available to do it with you.
    That's just horrible.

What if you don't have any friends in game? You MAKE them. The old fashioned way, by talking to other people.
    Of course nowadays this is harder to do with LF everything, no group quests, and so on.

People can deny everything but they can't deny the fact that years back, social interaction played a much bigger role in your everyday wow-life. If taking this away is good or bad for a MMO, you decide.

The need to have friends to play the game makes the game, imo. Otherwise you're just playing with faceless characters. They may as well be bots, as there is little to no social interaction.
    WoW PvP; Where DPS are healers, tanks are DPS, and healers are tanks!

RETH RETH RETH!

WoW is like real life. Most people want something for nothing. Most people can't get to where they want to be without other people, those people do not need to be friends. You have your slackers and your goalgetters.

I've actually made quite a few friends in game, but I'm also one of those people that will actually answer someones question (if i know the answer), instead of being an asshole and tell them to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Because that's what MMOs are about... Making bonds with other people.
    No, that's what you make it out to be. It's just a game with a lot of people (more then multiplayer games) and a persistent world.

I played since launch and I never had friends or a good social experience. Don't assume everyone had that, just because you did. What I remember is if you refused to suck up to the elitists who could raid, you would simply never raid. They'd completely destroy your reputation for ever, and there was nothing you could do about it. I prefer not to suck up to those people, so I never got to do group content, except at the very end of Classic with a bunch of outcasts, like me, and bad players. It wasn't all that fun... Now I can just ignore those elitist jerks and still experience all the content there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    The need to have friends to play the game makes the game, imo. Otherwise you're just playing with faceless characters. They may as well be bots, as there is little to no social interaction.
    If I wanted forced socializing, I wouldn't be playing, but going to a bar or something. WoW is a multiplayer game where I can be succesful by being social on my own terms, which is something I prefer.

Fucking extroverts...

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    And this is 50% of the reason I don't play Rift/SWTOR as much as I do WoW. I have history with WoW, but also it is the game everyone ends up falling back to in order to "regroup" for the next MMO.

You still can have friends and a guild and be social

It is not like they PUNISH you for being social, it is STILL YOUR choice what to do in game. I hate it when people come in an dblame Blizzard that their 10 or 25 man raidteam fel apart. No..you and your friends made the choice to pursue a different parth. What happened to responsibility and standing by your choices. What happened to make something happen? Blizzard didn't put a gun to the head of the people who left your raid team. Every - single - one of them decided that they probably enjoy raiding or 5 mans in a different format more than they did with you and the others.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    If I wanted forced socializing, I wouldn't be playing, but going to a bar or something. WoW is a multiplayer game where I can be succesful by being social on my own terms, which is something I prefer.

Fucking extroverts...
    I like you.