[TV] Naked Castaway

Can he last 60 days on an uninhabited Fijian island with absolutely nothing? No survival tools, no rations, no clothes, no film crew... It's a daunting challenge and nobody's ever done it before. In fierce tropical heat, he has only hours to find water before dehydration ends his attempt before it's begun. He must master the island - and his fears - to find food and water, light fire, build a proper shelter, and progress from mere survival to the point where he could stay forever. Filmed entirely by Ed himself, there's never been a more authentic survival series on TV. Written by Tigress Productions
    Afternoon,

Saw this recently it was pretty amazing to be honest, minus the fact he had to use antibiotics 15ish days in. Watching it makes you realize just how fragile we are/have become. I doubt many of us would have the skills to survive nowadays, which is quite sad if you think about it.

Did anyone else watch this? if so what did you think of it?

Deleted
    I watched it when it aired in the UK I think last month, I enjoyed it and kudos to Ed once again, how he didn't go insane, let alone survive on the food he did, I don't know, but I was a bit disappointed by the whole "authenticity" aspect of it, not sure if I should put the following in spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen it, I guess I will.

He needs medical supplies, he needs a doctors visit at one point - he hits his emergency beacon and gets medical supplies so at that point, I'm not sure if the "challenge" is considered still valid. The only reason he manages to survive water-wise is because he uses plastic containers that "washed" up, along with the fact that his cooking tins etc. are all artificial, even his cutting knife if something that washed up, but we have no way of knowing what genuinely washed up and what was placed there. He also only survives in the end because of the goat, that he couldn't catch himself with his home made bow and arrow but a) why is there a herd of such healthy looking goats on this desert island anyway, I assume they deliberately chose an island that had goats on it? and b) how convenient is it that nearly at the point of having to give up, of failing to kill the goat with his home-made stuff, the goat gets caught in some vines so he can kill it without having to catch it? Hmm. It felt like some aspects of it were a little staged; and he definitely had far more "artificial" aid than I was expecting... but he still had a seriously hard time surviving.

Despite the above though, seriously impressive both pyschologically and physically and I enjoyed the documentary style of it just being him and his hand held/head camera as opposed to having a camera crew follow him around - although his previous trip (being the first man to walk the entire length of the Amazon river - the documentary is called "Walking the Amazon" which was a 2 year trek for charity) was more impressive to me and worth a watch if you enjoyed this one. One things for sure, I probably wouldn't have survived more than a week or two on that island.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I watched it when it aired in the UK I think last month, I enjoyed it and kudos to Ed once again, how he didn't go insane, let alone survive on the food he did, I don't know, but I was a bit disappointed by the whole "authenticity" aspect of it, not sure if I should put the following in spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen it, I guess I will.

He needs medical supplies, he needs a doctors visit at one point - he hits his emergency beacon and gets medical supplies so at that point, I'm not sure if the "challenge" is considered still valid. The only reason he manages to survive water-wise is because he uses plastic containers that "washed" up, along with the fact that his cooking tins etc. are all artificial, even his cutting knife if something that washed up, but we have no way of knowing what genuinely washed up and what was placed there. He also only survives in the end because of the goat, that he couldn't catch himself with his home made bow and arrow but a) why is there a herd of such healthy looking goats on this desert island anyway, I assume they deliberately chose an island that had goats on it? and b) how convenient is it that nearly at the point of having to give up, of failing to kill the goat with his home-made stuff, the goat gets caught in some vines so he can kill it without having to catch it? Hmm. It felt like some aspects of it were a little staged; and he definitely had far more "artificial" aid than I was expecting... but he still had a seriously hard time surviving.

Despite the above though, seriously impressive both pyschologically and physically and I enjoyed the documentary style of it just being him and his hand held/head camera as opposed to having a camera crew follow him around - although his previous trip (being the first man to walk the entire length of the Amazon river - the documentary is called "Walking the Amazon" which was a 2 year trek for charity) was more impressive to me and worth a watch if you enjoyed this one. One things for sure, I probably wouldn't have survived more than a week or two on that island.
    Agreed completely, but to me him having to resort to medical attention and finding washed up man made objects makes him look more vulnerable as he would not have lasted without it. It makes you think that if the world went to shit there would only be a handful of people that could actually survive which is an interesting thought to me.

That being said i would love to attempt a challenge like that, i'm quite the camper explorer myself. Maybe something like an isolated area of north Scotland would be interesting either way.

One of the most disappointing parts for me was when he found the top and didn't really go into any detail on how he acquired it.
    Highlight would be using the clam-shell as a cooking pot and thatching his own shelter. (I would have just fortified the cave personally.)
    Last edited by Toccs; 2013-05-13 at 12:55 PM.