10+ Year Old Account

Player generated scenarios.

I apologize beforehand if there's already a thread about this.

I was playing FarCry the other day and I was thinking about how their map creation kit is something that could essentially work in WoW. Right now scenarios as they are, are not very popular; at least with most of the players I talk to. Since there are no rewards from the scenario itself and all scenarios have a structured formula (complete objective X move to point Y to advance story). I was thinking that they could add a scenario development kit that could support player made content. This would be in game, it would be accessed via the farm since that's already a phased zone for your character. You access it once you have gotten the inn upgrade from Tina Mudclaw, the book that lets you set your farm to your hearthstone would have an extra option to create these scenarios.

Basically for these custom scenarios you would start off by picking a map based on existing scenarios, the map would come with all the foliage and large buildings that you would see on the original scenario (these cannot be changed/moved). However you would be able to place starting locations, enemy bases/spawn points. You can also place all the NPC's, create the entire script for the scenario (following certain guidelines of course). All of this would have a cap of a set amount of resource points for your map, in other words you can't add more than the resource cap allows you to. This will be done for memory issues so the maps aren't too large. The players will also be allowed to write all the objectives as well as what the NPC's will say (obviously in the chat box, no voice acting). Finally these scenarios won't reward gold or loot they will be separate on the queue list and there will be a way to browse the scenarios by ranking or popularity. The reason they shouldn't reward anything is in case people exploit the system to make 1-2min long scenarios for gold/loot rewards.

When playing custom made scenarios players will be allowed all of the same features that you get from a regular scenario as well as an extra function. Players will be given the option to rate a scenario after they are finished with it. These ratings will be sent via in game mail, anonymously, to the creator. If you rank in the top 1000 you will get a Feat of Strength achievement with your ranking. If your scenario is in the top 100 you will also receive a unique mount, transmog set, tabard and a large sum of gold.

What do you guys/gals think? Would you like to see something like this implemented, or how would you do it better?

**Note: Here's a youtube video on the FarCry map editor, so you can get a better idea of what I mean**

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

I made a post about this a few days ago:

The rate at which players consume content can be easily regarded as the number one obstacle plaguing MMO developers today. I believe that developers are finally beginning to realize that there is no financially prudent way of curbing this insatiable hunger in house, so it is time to give the power to players, as cheesy as this sounds. What do I mean? I'm talking about Player Created Content (PCC).

PCC has been around for decades now, and who better to comprehend its success than Blizzard Entertainment, the same company that implemented PCC tools in their RTS games, which not only gave games like Starcraft and Warcraft III obscene longevity, but from this "foundry" (Neverwinter term) of PCC emerged an ENTIRE GENRE of new games, which we now call MOBA's (based on Warcraft III's Defense of The Ancients mod, an original PCC).

I used the term foundry above because Perfect World has already implemented such a feature into their new MMO, Neverwinter. As far as I'm aware, players can create their own quests and dungeons that reap experience and loot (not entirely sure about the loot). These quests and dungeons are then rated and made publicly available for players to experience. Obviously, as more time is spent improving the foundry system and the tools and breadth of power it gives players to manipulate environments, the higher the quality of content will be produced. Eventually, I forsee a lot of players opting to engage in PCC more so than the general quest lines of the game, similarly to how we saw so many Warcraft III players forgo playing standard RTS campaign and engage in awesome bouts of Footmen Wars, Mauls, and DOTA.

Blizzard has the tools and staff to make their own version of a "foundry" that would be more inclusive and diverse than anything a new MMO could offer. And who said it had to stop at quests and dungeons? What about player created BG's, Raids, and scenarios? Challenge Modes? Etc.?

By implementing a system that allows the user base to create content, Blizzard has essentially employed 8.3 million subscribers at zero cost, and may have successfully solved the most common issue in the MMO market today. Who knows, maybe a shining emerald emerges with its own genre through this "foundry", similarly to how DOTA did. The ball is in your court, and all we ask you to do is pass. Give us a chance to improve the game the way we want to, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results, as we will be.

Edit: Link: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ption-problems

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zooch View Post
    I made a post about this a few days ago:

Edit: Link: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ption-problems
    AH had I seen that thread before making this I would have posted this there. I think its the way to go for MMO's, it's interesting you point out Neverwinter Night's foundry. That was going to be my original example for this but I figured people would find it easier to relate to FarCry, since Neverwinter is a much older game and not as well known today. That said a Foundry system sounds great, it would certainly be much more entertaining then sitting around all day doing dailies.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

10+ Year Old Account
    would be the biggest troll fest. That is unless blizzard screens whats released.

Deleted
    Blizzard would have to 100% screen this but I do think this is an interesting idea.

I do wonder what a WoW development kit would look like as well!

Deleted
    It is an interesting idea, however after seeing how it worked out in Neverwinter with their player made quests, people will always find ways to abuse it.

The only way for it to work would be for it to give 0 rewards. And if it gives 0 rewards, people won't want to do them.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-05-13 at 05:27 PM.