Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Anyone else consider quitting because ret is so unwanted?

    My subscription will expire in a few days and I'm not sure if I want to continue it. The reason is that it's impossible for me to get into raids. I can only get into casual guilds where most raids end up being cancelled because nobody is online, probably because they got fed up with the wipe fests. Almost none of the better guilds on my server are looking for plate dps (ret paladins least of all), and those few that are, don't want to take someone who's so much behind gear and progression wise. And yes, I play on a high population server.

    I even tried respeccing holy but I suck at playing it, and my healing gear is crap by today's standards. I have no desire to reroll and make months of gearing go to waste.
    Wh-what are you doing here!? G-go away!
    I don't want to see you anymore!
    Stay away from me!
    That's what Shi said.

  2. #2
    Have you ever considered it's because of your profile as a player instead of the spec?
    Video Game Blog - Now with 100% less World of Warcraft!

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans Grimord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,619
    I'd advise you to do what I had to do when I wanted to get back to raiding: Start with a smaller guild. If you have no gear or exp you can't honestly expect to be recruited by a top guild, specially being a melee DPS and one of the worst (theoretically) at it.

    So yea, I'd try a guild that's a tad behind in progress and start from there. Worst case scenario you get some gear and experience.


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalukki View Post
    My subscription will expire in a few days and I'm not sure if I want to continue it. The reason is that it's impossible for me to get into raids. I can only get into casual guilds where most raids end up being cancelled because nobody is online, probably because they got fed up with the wipe fests. Almost none of the better guilds on my server are looking for plate dps (ret paladins least of all), and those few that are, don't want to take someone who's so much behind gear and progression wise. And yes, I play on a high population server.

    I even tried respeccing holy but I suck at playing it, and my healing gear is crap by today's standards. I have no desire to reroll and make months of gearing go to waste.
    Yes, i feel exacly as you do, my main is ret and i really dont like my class/spec anymore. They srsly need to do something about the spec.... rework it or what ever

  5. #5
    Grunt lmm0rtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Under The Sea
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I'd advise you to do what I had to do when I wanted to get back to raiding: Start with a smaller guild. If you have no gear or exp you can't honestly expect to be recruited by a top guild, specially being a melee DPS and one of the worst (theoretically) at it.

    So yea, I'd try a guild that's a tad behind in progress and start from there. Worst case scenario you get some gear and experience.
    Or you could actually look for other realms to transfer but before doing that try app-ing other realms guild that you're interested in. Once approved, you may then proceed with the transfer process. Unfortunately, I do think that the solution above is the only way if you want to stay at your own realm at this point in time.

  6. #6
    Since TBC, I had to learn how to compete on the meters. Talk all you want, but people want to see you topping dps meters. It's not easy, but it can be done.

    #1 Learn how to not be entirely reliant on raids for gear. This was easy in TBC, cause PvP gear was really good for raiding. Today Blizzard has given you many avenue's to get gear. LFR gear isn't bad, and some valor pieces are pretty good as well. If you have the gold, get the Blacksmith boots. Make good use of your weekly tokens, and use them for only Tier gear, weapons, and trinkets. Never use tokens in LFR. Gear is extremely important.

    #2 Learn to min max. Each boss fight is unique in how to optimize dps. Should you take Holy Avenger or Sanctified Wrath? Light's Hammer or Execution Sentence? Learn where and when to use abilities, and time it right.

    #3 If anything, you're a Paladin. Learn to make good use of your support abilities. Lay on Hands someone who's low on health. Hand of Protection is now useful for clearly stacks off tanks, so work with them. Hand of Sacrifice is also good on tanks, when you see them getting blown up. It also never hurts to heal yourself and stay alive. Use defensive cool downs to be the last man standing in fights. Prove to your raid that you aren't reliant on healers to stay alive. Learn to interrupt trash or bosses.

    Though to be honest, when it comes down to it all you do have a lot against you. Melee in general are the least desired for raids. Most guilds establish cliques, and tend to take their friends over other players, regardless if they are better or not. Ret is currently at the bottom of meters, which means statistically you won't do well. Though they're changing that in 5.3 hopefully.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    Have you ever considered it's because of your profile as a player instead of the spec?
    What does that mean? Did you just want to insult me with your Mickey Mouse comments? How can I prove my skill to them if they don't see me in action. Posting some LFR log will tell them I can do DPS but it doesn't tell them that I can follow tactics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    I'd advise you to do what I had to do when I wanted to get back to raiding: Start with a smaller guild. If you have no gear or exp you can't honestly expect to be recruited by a top guild, specially being a melee DPS and one of the worst (theoretically) at it.

    So yea, I'd try a guild that's a tad behind in progress and start from there. Worst case scenario you get some gear and experience.
    I have cleared last tier on normal and done some bosses on heroic but it is irrelevant now because valor gear is so much better. I have tried many of those "smaller guilds" but they all have the same problem. Not making any progress and less and less people show up every week and raids get cancelled. So thanks for telling me to do what I'm already doing.
    Wh-what are you doing here!? G-go away!
    I don't want to see you anymore!
    Stay away from me!
    That's what Shi said.

  8. #8
    Herald of the Titans Grimord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,619
    Doesn't help your cause that much to go on the offensive against anyone that comments. You did create the thread, right?

    And you can't prove your "skill" unless you do raid. But don't expect a top guild to recruit you just because you think you're good. Why risk overbloat and unnecessary if you don't need to?

    I'd say try join their alt runs and maybe they'll like you but with that kind of attitude you'd probably still be dropped anyway.


  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    2,574
    Okay playing devils advocate for a moment. I can see where you are coming from. When Healing slots are scarce the Druids and Paladins are the first to be told by a raider leader to go healing. This is a problem permeating the lack of a large raider pool at the moment.

    On the other hand, you have to just be opportunistic. Perfect EVERYTHING about your character and gameplay and when applying to a guild, state you don't intend nor desire to change specs. If they ask you to, keep looking. This is all you can do, or you just have to accept it and take the low road like so many of us.

    There is a problem with this right now forcing Ret paladins and Feral Druids (Whom are all competently on par with their pure dps peers) to fill the unwanted rolls because there are no options available. And since melee is even more undesirable on a majority of fights (less so this tier thankfully) Paladins are frequently told to reroll to 'be a team player'.

    And yes, as a Ret turned holy to 'back up the team' for 3 years now, I'm still a bit miffed. Sadly I play holy very well and finding a replacement for me when I enjoy and also play Ret well, has proven nigh impossible. I enjoy the game and encounters and my guild but I am not playing a the spec I rolled primarily and enjoyed. I've gotten so rusty as a melee player now that I have started to believe me changing back if the chance ever come would be to the teams detriment.

    Not enough for me to call it quits if I enjoy 3/4 of the aspects I have on the table. But I would rather be swinging a sword than casting prissy healing spells.
    I'm cripplingly pragmatically minded when it comes to succeeding but I have questioned it quite a bit. But I have no options. My budgets are tight enough, I can't leave and change servers to find my chance, and even if I could or wanted to, I wouldn't find a nicer guild.

    It's bit like being stuck in a dead end job sadly, you're comfortable in it, you know it inside and out, but you really wish you could be doing something else deep down.


    TL: DR: Keep looking, or Play Holy/Prot/Quit. Those are your options take em' or leave em.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2013-05-11 at 10:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Yeah, it's always WAR WAR WAR untill..BY ALL THAT IS HOLY DO YOU SEE THAT ENEMY OVER THERE?? GLORIOUS LOOT!!!!!

  10. #10
    A couple things:

    1). You come off as a person who thinks that these other guilds "owe you a living". Your attitude in this thread alone would get you shut out of a decent guild so the first thing you should try and do is learn to have a better attitude.

    2). You rolled a hybrid class. The reason people take hybrid classes is so they can fill multiple roles. Why would I take a ret paladin with good gear and no off spec gear over a good geared rogue? The rogue WILL do more dps than an equally geared ret pally so unless you have some other redeeming factor (which is not going to be your attitude), there is no reason to bother with you.

    My advice? If you like playing ret, get the set up as best as you can and then after that, get a holy/tank set up as far as you can. I got up to 508ilvl before I even stepped into normal ToT. Get both sets up around that level and you will be more appealing to a raid.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    There is a problem with this right now forcing Ret paladins and Feral Druids (Whom are all competently on par with their pure dps peers) to fill the unwanted rolls because there are no options available. And since melee is even more undesirable on a majority of fights (less so this tier thankfully) Paladins are frequently told to reroll to 'be a team player'.
    T14 was actually better for melee (except rogues) than T15.

  12. #12
    For what it's worth we had to replace a raider 2 weeks ago and took a chance on an undergeared Ret. She was a fair way behind initially, but once she got some gear into here, she is now very competitive and we are very happy to stick with a Ret Pally. Mind you, we haven't yet pushed into heroics so I'm not sure how Rets play in that space.

  13. #13
    I'm not asking a top guild to recruit me, just a guild that can make some sort of progress in normal ToT and has a reliable raid schedule.

    I have 511 ret gear with 498 holy offspec. I already bought all VP items that are worth buying. The only thing I could still get are tier gloves from Nalak (RNG is RNG) and 522 boots that cost truckloads of gold. There is really not that much to improve. You could be the best player in the world but it would make no difference if you can't prove it. I hope you get my point.
    Wh-what are you doing here!? G-go away!
    I don't want to see you anymore!
    Stay away from me!
    That's what Shi said.

  14. #14
    At least you actually have amazing raid utility, unlike Hunters who lack that AND do ass damage.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    At least you actually have amazing raid utility, unlike Hunters who lack that AND do ass damage.
    Ret paladins don't have any utility that holy or prot doesn't also have.
    Wh-what are you doing here!? G-go away!
    I don't want to see you anymore!
    Stay away from me!
    That's what Shi said.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalukki View Post
    Ret paladins don't have any utility that holy or prot doesn't also have.
    Point is, Hunters in my guild during heroic progression were benched for Rets that did less damage but had amazing utilities. In heroic ToT utility >>>> having insane DPS. It's easy enough to stack dime-a-dozen warlocks and mages for that. You have great buttons as Ret and that's what's desired in your class by heroic raiding guilds. If they don't need that then you're out of luck.

  17. #17
    Rets are harder to balance because of pvp. I mean blizzard could phase abilities to fix the burst issues in pvp for instance

    PVE 3hp TV hits for 500% weapon damage
    PVP 3hp TV hits for 275% weapon damage
    nothing exact just showing my point

    They do this with SOME abilities off top of my head warriors and rogues have a skill that like bypasses 100% armor on pve mobs and like half that in pvp. there you go if they did more abilities like that they could buff up lower dps specs like arms/ret/sub/frost mage without totally breaking pvp. but they WONT/WILL NEVER DO THAT. just stop playing the game honestly play final fantasy when it comes out try GW2 or Neverwinter.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

  18. #18
    Grunt lmm0rtal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Under The Sea
    Posts
    14
    If you have none other ways to go. Maybe dropping off subscription, take a small vacation break while sourcing for guilds that really interests you and are ready to accept you into the team? Sometimes, you just needa you know ' have a break, have a kit-kat ' .
    Last edited by lmm0rtal; 2013-05-12 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Type Wrongly

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Point is, Hunters in my guild during heroic progression were benched for Rets that did less damage but had amazing utilities. In heroic ToT utility >>>> having insane DPS. It's easy enough to stack dime-a-dozen warlocks and mages for that. You have great buttons as Ret and that's what's desired in your class by heroic raiding guilds. If they don't need that then you're out of luck.
    There were much better classes to stack and bring in when you sat your hunter this tier. Lots of them. Ret really wasn't in a better spot than hunters this tier because of their utility. Rets who were good at their class and could somewhat keep up with damage AND were reliable for their utility didn't lose their spots. Rets didn't gain raid spots this tier because of their amazing utility and were benched in most cases, it simply wasn't needed ESPECIALLY with how strong prot/holy is with the exact same utility. Point is, heroic ToT didn't require rets, it enjoyed paladins and prot/holy are miles ahead of ret.
    Last edited by Aceshigh; 2013-05-12 at 01:40 AM.

  20. #20
    If you are as good as you say you are : Make Logs, lots of them. Run all of ToT on LFR twice or so, log all of it, post logs where everyone can see that you're not standing in dumb shit, switching targets and doing close to max dps for you gear, people will be fairly interested.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •