Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Will a new WoW expansion even come out this year?

Expansions were always announced like a year before release, so if they wait until blizzcon now that means it's going to be announced 2 months or less before release?...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    highly unlikely in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not.
    Probably in a dungeon or a raid throwing Regrowth on a tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    very unlikely it comes out this year 5.4 is still 4 months away(approx) and we should be getting that for like 6 months ... so the earlyest we'll get it is first quarter 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    highly unlikely in my opinion.
    Really? But isn't this patch that's about to come out now the last patch of MoP? And weren't WoW expansions always coming out fall or summer? Wouldn't this be the longest expansion ever if they delayed the new expansion to next year? Strange that they would do that considering how fast they're losing subscribers.

Or maybe I'm just confused because I didn't even play MoP lol idk O.o
    Isn't MoP almost a year old at this point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stormich50 View Post
    Really? But isn't this patch that's about to come out now the last patch of MoP? And weren't WoW expansions always coming out fall or summer? Wouldn't this be the longest expansion ever if they delayed the new expansion to next year? Strange that they would do that considering how fast they're losing subscribers.
    no, 5.3 is supposed to come now, then it's 5.4 with siege of orgrimar... and possibly 5.5 with new lore scenarios and stuff to tie MoP and next expansions in...

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stormich50 View Post

Or maybe I'm just confused because I didn't even play MoP lol idk O.o
    Burning Crusade came out in January, Cata in December, and Wrath in November. Mists was September, so there's not been one in Summer, and only one that could be considered an autumnal release.
    Last edited by Fablewynd; 2013-05-13 at 08:17 PM.

I'm betting early next year. Sales-wise, late this year would obviously be ideal, but with the pace of patches and the extra work going into an expansion, I seriously doubt it'll be this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heck they can even extend MoP(since the pandaria theme has already been dealt with) to 5.6 or more ... have kul'tiras and another tier after SoO and be done with azeroth forever... every expansion from now on being on another planet/dimensiont rather than just another boring continent on azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not this year, early next year I'd imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    very unlikely it comes out this year 5.4 is still 4 months away(approx) and we should be getting that for like 6 months ... so the earlyest we'll get it is first quarter 2014...
    2 Months*
    5.3 is just around the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

I don't think so. However, I do believe that 2014 is realistic. They really stepped up in terms of how fast they get stuff done meanwhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    spring/summer next year

Highly unlikely we'll get an expansion this year, even operting under the assumption that we get a pre-BlizzCon expansion announcement (the timing is a little goofy for an expansion announcement this time around and Blizzard might want to reserve BlizzCon for their new MMO).

The Siege of Orgrimmar will probably come out around September, give or take a month. While Blizzard would want to avoid another year-long gap between the final raid tier of one expansion and the release of another, I wouldn't expect anything shorter then a six-month timespan between the SoO and Expansion 5. Too much shorter then that and we could find ourselves in a situation where the average raiding guild lacks the time to progress through the heroic version of the raid.

This puts Expansion 5 in a late Q1 2014 release at the absolute earliest, and only if everything goes right.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Blizzard said on their last report that they were expecting subscriptions to drop lower than current before the end of the year. New expansions usually see a big spike in subscriptions. So I'd say that its not coming out before the end of the year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falrinn View Post
    Highly unlikely we'll get an expansion this year, even operting under the assumption that we get a pre-BlizzCon expansion announcement (the timing is a little goofy for an expansion announcement this time around and Blizzard might want to reserve BlizzCon for their new MMO).
    They will reserve everything for WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Its May 13th and people really think 5.4 will last until far into next year? Very early 2014 at most.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    2 Months*
    5.3 is just around the corner.
    I doubt it's only 2 months the ptr build isn't even finished and they usually announce patches 1 or even 2 weeks before they release them on official servers... so it isn't really just around the corner... and anyway it's at least 3... usually a tier holds for 6 months(except end tiers like ICC/DS) so 5.3 will prolly be 3 months after release of 5.2 so that's june 5... if things go by my calculations anyway... could be a little earlier but I don't see 5.4 being earlier than end of August begining of September...

So what's the end boss of this expansion, a fluffy panda?

No, betting Spring 2014, definitely not in 2013.