What defines someone?

A bit of a philosophical question:

Is it our past that defines us?
    Is it our present?
    Or is it our future (if we could somehow know it) that defines us?

Immediate answer that comes to mind is the past. In the past stuff happened, that stuff made us into the person we are today, therefore the past has defined us.

But I'm not great with philosophy...

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no objective definition, and therefore no objective answer. Everyone has their own definition of who and what they are. Whether this matches with the world's view on them is an entirely different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    didn't you watch evangelion?
    NGE is overrated though, and it doesn't really offer a real explanation to OP's question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    A bit of a philosophical question:

Is it our past that defines us?
    Is it our present?
    Or is it our future (if we could somehow know it) that defines us?
    I don't believe there is a "right" answer to this, just the answer that feels right to you. Not that the OP is implying that there is a "right" answer, just saying. For me I feel defined mostly by what I give back to the world. That is the most important thing for me to do while I'm alive. I've always said that if I can die and one person thinks their life is better off because of something I did, I'll feel like I did okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    definition of self is up to the individual.

there is not one answer for everyone.
    That would make too much sense to be widely accepted.

What about those who believe they're entitled to decide everything for everyone else? Didn't you think about these poor little creatures?
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Your past shapes you, what you do today defines you, what you do with it tomorrow is what people will remember you by.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Well considering present decisions influence the future, and present decisions become the past; I would say the present.

Our future, present, and past.
    What potential we have and how well we are progressing towards expanding that potential.
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

didn't you watch evangelion?
    Fuck that bullshit ending that renders the entire rest of the show pointless.

What do we need a bunch of episodes about struggling against an invading enemy for when the ending is entirely unrelated to it?